IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

(I am actively trying to hire a local part-time person to train for assembly).

Sounds like a good job for a high school kid. Learn something and make money (but not a lot). if there are any electronics or computer clubs in your local schools (or just locally), that would be a great place to ask. And then there is always Craigslist, through I wouldn't try that route unless all the others come up empty.

Good Luck,

Did you make some experiment with Neutrik connectors?

I don't know.. I listen about those connectors are the best...

there's a way to get a special edition with this connector?? :D

Sorry Issac, but I don't see how or why those large panel mount gender-changing USB connectors would be of any use or benefit to the REGEN. We use surface-mount jacks and control the impedance so that the small REGEN can mount right at the DAC's USB input and provide maximum benefit.

Thanks for the thought though. Hope you are still enjoying your JS-2.

--Alex.

Superdad,

do you have a GeekOut USB DAC/Amp laying around?

it would be cool to see a photo of it's male USB plug, inserted into the Regen.

;-)

Our daughter will be home from college for spring break next week. I gave here a GeekOut as a going away present last year. I'll ask her to bring it up. If she does, I'll try it out with the REGEN and post a picture. Thanks for the idea. :) John said that his REGN did a lot for the HRT Music Streamer he had laying around. However I'm not expecting that portable dongle-DAC users are going to be a large part of the market for the $175 REGEN. But who knows...

Superdad,

a nice little college gift. ;-)

but yah, I don't expect dongle (only) DAC folks to chase after a Regen either.

I'll be moving Regen around a number of DACs: Concero HD, Modi 2 Uber, iFi iDSD micro, GeekOut 100, eventually Pulse X Infinity and maybe BiFrost Uber.

hm, is this considered "usb packet" rolling?

Hi, as anyone tried an audiophile USB cable + regen vs Normal cheap USB cable plus Regen? What is the outcome?

They won't be available commercially for another month or so, therefore the inventors are the only ones who have them ?. But, I know that Alex (Superdad) has tested a lot of cables and DACs. Read up in this thread and you'll find some comments. Seems to improve most everything they have tried it with, low or high price.

Superdad,

a nice little college gift. ;-)

but yah, I don't expect dongle (only) DAC folks to chase after a Regen either.

I'll be moving Regen around a number of DACs: Concero HD, Modi 2 Uber, iFi iDSD micro, GeekOut 100, eventually Pulse X Infinity and maybe BiFrost Uber.

hm, is this considered "usb packet" rolling?

The latest take on tweaking for the digital age! Kinda' like firmware rolling and music player software tweaking.

You should ask for a volume discount on 5 of the little buggers!

What is packet noise?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

What is packet noise?

This is a term I coined to refer to the power and ground noise a receiver generates when reading a packet of data. For example in USB (and Ethernet) data comes in packets with a fair amount of space between packets. The receiver chip doesn't do much of anything in-between packets, this doesn't generate much noise on supply planes. But when a packet comes in the receiver goes into high gear processing the data that just came in, this processing generates a lot of highly variable current draw from the board which generates a fair amount of noise on the supply planes.

This noise comes in bursts, which is the packet frequency. For example USB high speed has packets at 8KHz, which is in the human hearing range. This noise can modulate processes in the DAC (such as the main clock oscillator and the DAC conversion to analog) producing subtle distortions which are in the audio range.

John S.

This is a term I coined to refer to the power and ground noise a receiver generates when reading a packet of data. For example in USB (and Ethernet) data comes in packets with a fair amount of space between packets. The receiver chip doesn't do much of anything in-between packets, this doesn't generate much noise on supply planes. But when a packet comes in the receiver goes into high gear processing the data that just came in, this processing generates a lot of highly variable current draw from the board which generates a fair amount of noise on the supply planes.

This noise comes in bursts, which is the packet frequency. For example USB high speed has packets at 8KHz, which is in the human hearing range. This noise can modulate processes in the DAC (such as the main clock oscillator and the DAC conversion to analog) producing subtle distortions which are in the audio range.

John S.

Would you be willing to show any objective data (with/without the Regen) on this?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Is regen available?

If yes where can I buy one?

Hi George, check your PM.

Just a reminder: Anyone that wishes to receive availability info (just a couple more weeks) and be notified of the ordering web site, needs to send me a PM with your private e-mail address. Don't worry, I guard that list and won't share your e-mail with anyone. It is just that it is neither easy nor appropriate for me to use the CA messaging system for commercial announcements.

If you have ever ordered anything from me, had any e-mail correspondence with me, or received any of my 2014 e-mail "newsletters", then you are already on the e-mail list to receive information about ordering the USB REGEN.

By the way, first article samples of the finished REGEN boards arrive for testing tomorrow! Won't have the milled/printed little cases for the boards until about April 7th. So still on track to begin shipments mid-April.

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

blah blah blah...just a couple more weeks...blah blah blah

thats pretty much all I comprehended from the above post...happy days!!!!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi George, check your PM.

Just a reminder: Anyone that wishes to receive availability info (just a couple more weeks) and be notified of the ordering web site, needs to send me a PM with your private e-mail address. Don't worry, I guard that list and won't share your e-mail with anyone. It is just that it is neither easy nor appropriate for me to use the CA messaging system for commercial announcements.

If you have ever ordered anything from me, had any e-mail correspondence with me, or received any of my 2014 e-mail "newsletters", then you are already on the e-mail list to receive information about ordering the USB REGEN.

By the way, first article samples of the finished REGEN boards arrive for testing tomorrow! Won't have the milled/printed little cases for the boards until about April 7th. So still on track to begin shipments mid-April.

Thanks everyone!

--Alex C.

Hello Alex,

will it be possible to order two?

or are you limited with quantities for this first round?

Pol

CloneAudio LPSU for QnapHS-251 fanless - UpTone JS2 for MacMini i7 (SD card only-CAD scripts-MMK fan kit-no disc inside- Audirvana2)- JS2 for REGEN - BelCantoRefLink-TotalDacD1tube(Mullard ECC82 NOS) //Halgorythme single end 300b EML //DiY Open Baffle & Leedh Elfe

Whee was the last time you did something for the first time?

As a Mini FW to Mytek user, wonder if FW (faster at moving data than USB) is a victim of packet and PS noise?

Realize that not many consumer DACs offer FW...heck Apple has ditched the format, but I guess Thunderbolt is compatible.

Tone with Soul

Bonjour Francois-Paul:

I don't mind if you want to order more than one. The first run is 100 units and I have now idea how quickly they will go (maybe pretty fast based on the informal e-mail list of those who expressed interest to obtain notice of ordering). What I will do for you--and anyone else that wants more than REGEN--once we open up ordering if the first 100 get spoken for right away, is to offer free shipping on the second unit if we have to back-order you until the second run.

I'm honestly a little puzzled--but pleased nonetheless--at all this breathless anticipation for this device which nobody except John Swenson and I have heard. It is exciting (and I personally believe it will delight people), but all the attention makes me nervous. ;)

Hello Alex,

will it be possible to order two?

or are you limited with quantities for this first round?

Pol

As a Mini FW to Mytek user, wonder if FW (faster at moving data than USB) is a victim of packet and PS noise?

Realize that not many consumer DACs offer FW...heck Apple has ditched the format, but I guess Thunderbolt is compatible.

Well I would imagine that Firewire might benefit from some form of signal conditioning or reclocking to improve integrity, or from some filtering, but I have never seen that attempted, and I wonder if the market is large enough to justify the development. But I'll keep it in mind and chat with John about it sometime. Firewire chipsets and the protocol are quite different from USB, so it will be interesting to investigate what can be done.

Well I would imagine that Firewire might benefit from some form of signal conditioning or reclocking to improve integrity, or from some filtering, but I have never seen that attempted, and I wonder if the market is large enough to justify the development. But I'll keep it in mind and chat with John about it sometime. Firewire chipsets and the protocol are quite different from USB, so it will be interesting to investigate what can be done.

Firewire seems to be on the way out, even in the Pro market. For example, Metric Halo plans to switch from Firewire 400 to USB 3.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7