IGNORED

Uptone Audio Regen

@Jack: Not sure that there will be much if any benefit to REGENs in series, or even having one at both ends of the cable. The REGEN's primary function is to generate a completely new USB data signal from a carefully chosen USB hub chip running from an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock--which it does with ideal impedance matching and right at the input of your DAC.

--Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks. It will be great if you can give it a try and share with us your findings. As John mentioned, with the Regen the upstream cable and computer still matters so I suspect there can be further improvement by cascading the Regen.

Given the cost of the Regen and the cost of middle-tier USB cables it could be more cost effective to use more than one Regen than upgrading to a highend USB cable.

If there is good potential for cascading Regen in series I suspect many would be interested in pursuing that path - myself included.

Jack

reverendo

do you have any other equipment plugged in to the Netgear R4500 which is hooked up to your Cantata ?

what sort of power supply is powering the Netgear R4500 ? if it is a SMPS try replacing it with a LPS wall wart

if that makes a big difference then you might want to try out a pair of Fibre Media converters

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

EuroDriver

I see your point.

At the moment I have a Roku, Oppo, SBT and the Cable Modem from TWC connected to the router, apart from my DAC. I'm probably going to bring the router back to the office and put the wireless switch in its place, but that would only eliminate the TWC cable modem from the equation.

I'm using the Netgear's original power supply. Any suggestions in regards to where I could get a good LPS wall wart?

Thank you very much for taking the time.

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I have jumped off the fence and put my name down for a Regen. I plan to use the Regen downstream of a Corning USB 3 optical cable.

With this arrangement there will be fully optical isolation of the USB data pair, reclocking of the USB signal and clean 5 volt supply to the DAC

if any RFI from the PC dares to go down the Corning cable, I will strangle it with a series of ferrites

What ever it takes to get the job done ;-)

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

EuroDriver

I see your point.

At the moment I have a Roku, Oppo, SBT and the Cable Modem from TWC connected to the router, apart from my DAC. I'm probably going to bring the router back to the office and put the wireless switch in its place, but that would only eliminate the TWC cable modem from the equation.

I'm using the Netgear's original power supply. Any suggestions in regards to where I could get a good LPS wall wart?

Thank you very much for taking the time.

Thats a lot of gear hooked into the Netgear ! I would definitely try inserting a pair of FMC's between the Netgear and the Cantata.

this LPS at Amazon looks quite similar to the €11 Euro wall wart that worked well for us

http://www.amazon.com/UNIVERSAL-ADAPTER-ADAPTOR-SONY-500mA/dp/B003OSTDN0/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1425246955&sr=1-3&keywords=dc+universal+adapter

just for fun next month, I will try out the Uptone JS-2 powering the FMC to see if there is an audible difference from the € 11 Euro wall wart

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

just for fun next month, I will try out the Uptone JS-2 powering the FMC to see if there is an audible difference from the € 11 Euro wall wart

I'm very interested in your subjective findings.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

This explains it better:

"Our Chief Scientist, Dr. Emil Drizzlenik PhD from the renowned Chernobyl Electrical Institute in Russia, developed this patented technology after an accident at the power plant left all of the homes and businesses in his area dark.

Dr. Drizzlenik found that the local telephone company was still up and running, and in fact telephone service never went down during the time the power was out.

Dr. Drizzlenik is used to working in the dark."

A rather unfortunate name. Hey, its by Chernobyl engineers, what could possibly go wrong?! ;)

But hey, as it so prominently says with a plaque on its web page, "All Chernobyl Filters™ are blessed by an ordained minister to prevent future bad juju."

Wow.

Maybe it would be appropriate for tuners ? "Radio" active... ;)

Alain

Thats a lot of gear hooked into the Netgear ! I would definitely try inserting a pair of FMC's between the Netgear and the Cantata.

this LPS at Amazon looks quite similar to the €11 Euro wall wart that worked well for us

Amazon.com: UNIVERSAL AC DC ADAPTER ADAPTOR SONY 500mA 1.5 to 12 V: Electronics

I'm going to look into the LPS first, just to see if it makes a difference. The one you referenced on Amazon only has 0.5A output and I'd need 1A with 12V. Do you think this one would work?

Best regards

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Alex,

Apologies if I do not yet fully understand this, but how important is the REGEN to a Mac Mini based system driving a USB DAC, if one also is also using the JS-2 and MMK?

As we have discussed in PMs, I want to upgrade to a new Mac Mini (2014 with PCIe flash storage), and would like to incorporate the improvements that can benefit this. Relatedly, is the upgrading of a 2014 Mac Mini with the JS-2 and MMK straightforward? I have installed memory and SSD in my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, but do not know if the new Mac Mini is equally straightforward to deal with.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

That is an unregulated supply. Just a transformer, diodes, and a small filter cap. Not what you could call a "clean" PS at all.

Hi Alex,

What would be your suggestion be. It'd be for the wireless switch.

Thanks I'm advance

André

A JS-2 of course! LOL

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't recommend a $925 PSU for a wireless switch.

Alex,

Apologies if I do not yet fully understand this, but how important is the REGEN to a Mac Mini based system driving a USB DAC, if one also is also using the JS-2 and MMK?

As we have discussed in PMs, I want to upgrade to a new Mac Mini (2014 with PCIe flash storage), and would like to incorporate the improvements that can benefit this. Relatedly, is the upgrading of a 2014 Mac Mini with the JS-2 and MMK straightforward? I have installed memory and SSD in my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro, but do not know if the new Mac Mini is equally straightforward to deal with.

Hi Thomas, nice to hear from you.

Let me apologize in advance for answering your question very briefly--the recent explosion of orders for JS-2 combined with the REGEN project have me scrambling to keep up with both production and e-mail (I just started putting out local word for a part-time assembler that I can train; otherwise I will fall off this tiger.) Happy but a bit overwhelmed. :)

The forthcoming REGEN is of benefit to the USB data lines between any DAC and transport source (computer, streamer, whatever). For Mac users it is a bit like having an audiophile USB card--but right at the input of the DAC where it belongs (so we suspect even PC users with Paul Pang or SOtM USB cards will appreciate the REGEN).

So yes, regardless of your upgraded computer power system, the REGEN does its thing, which is to generate a completely new USB data signal from a carefully chosen USB hub chip running from an ultra low-noise regulator and low-jitter clock--which it does with ideal impedance matching and right at the input of your DAC.

Our MMK (Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit for those not familiar with my abbreviation) is fully compatible with the 2014 model. Quite a few people have installed it in that one already. And I think the 2014 mini with PCIe Flash is an excellent machine. I may buy one for various use an experimentation versus my 2012 i7.

Oh, I just found some text I sent in a recent e-mail to explain in detail the slight difference in installation:

The main difference in the installation is the attachment position of the very small intermediate connector board. The 2014 mini does not have a plastic fan shroud over the heat pipes--and that was were the little board attached, with flat cable straight across, on the 2010/'11/'12 models. So instead you will curve the flat cable on its side (like going around a banked racetrack corner) and attach the board at the front-center area, on top of the hard-drive bracket. The attached picture, taken by a client, will make it easy to see. I think you will be able to do an even neater job, but you will immediately understand where it needs to go. Even if you have the nice PCIe Flash drive new to the 2014 mini, you can just have the cables go over that (maybe the black wires will go under).

The only other difference is that the black bottom cover of the 2014 Mac mini gets pried off (try one of the gray or black plastic tools included with the MMK), whereas on older units the black bottom twisted off of key-hole screws. And after you take off the black bottom, there are now 6 screws to remove the round metal cover. These screws are Torx T-6 size--same as earlier models--but it is the "security" type of Torx screw, which has a tiny point in the middle of the hole. The supplier I use for the toolkit provided has been waiting to get the "security" type T6 to include in my kits (there was a West Coast ocean port strike for several months and the tools have been stuck somewhere there). The T6 screwdrivers in the kits ready at the end of March should have the correct "security" screw drivers.

Please also refer to the graphic teardown instructions at

MMK in 2014 mini small.jpg

Hi Alex,

What would be your suggestion be. It'd be for the wireless switch.

Thanks I'm advance

André

André: I recommend one of the 25W Mean Well SMPS, from the GS25 series. Can be GS25A (table-top) or GS25U (wall-mount, USA plug; GS25E is Euro plug). They are quite well-made and sound fine, even for an audio component. Tried one on the Geek Pulse DAC as an upgrade to the $3 wart it came with. Was no JS-2, but it was much better than the stock one. They are only about $14. Definitely go for the higher wattage versions. Jameco stocks Mean Well.

I posted a long screed about my hunt for an inexpensive PS to include with the REGEN as a reply to an off-topic challenge about it from "fmak" here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-comparisons-14397/index34.html#post405459

A JS-2 of course! LOL

I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't recommend a $925 PSU for a wireless switch.

Quite true! Please don't waste JS-2 outputs on a wireless switch! (though who knows?)

DACs, USB>S/PDIF converters, the REGEN, a headphone amp, a computer, an SSD are the descending priority order I recommend for our supply. The computer stuff is almost "slumming it" for a JS-2 (though it sounds great there an stands up to the competition constantly on computers), but not that many high-end DACs run off an external +DC voltage.

The Metric Halo ULN-8 and the exaSound DACs are two notable exceptions that come to mind because of the six units shipping this next week, one is going to a Metric Halo owner and two are going to exaSound DAC owners (Eurodriver/Edward being one of them). The "goodness" of a JS-2 and its various design choices really shine with DACs and audio components.

Now there is a fellow here from France that has bought 4(!) JS-2s (one he sold to a friend), and another from Canada who owns 2. But frankly with the flood of new orders these last 3 weeks, if someone asked to buy more than one JS-2 I might be inclined to turn then away until I can boost monthly output past my current dozen or so. (I am actively trying to hire a local part-time person to train for assembly).

André: I recommend one of the 25W Mean Well SMPS, from the GS25 series. Can be GS25A (table-top) or GS25U (wall-mount, USA plug; GS25E is Euro plug). They are quite well-made and sound fine, even for an audio component. Tried one on the Geek Pulse DAC as an upgrade to the $3 wart it came with. Was no JS-2, but it was much better than the stock one. They are only about $14. Definitely go for the higher wattage versions. Jameco stocks Mean Well.

I posted a long screed about my hunt for an inexpensive PS to include with the REGEN as a reply to an off-topic challenge about it from "fmak" here:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-comparisons-14397/index34.html#post405459

Alex,

Thank you very much. I saw that post, but didn't actually read it, since I hadn't understood that there would be value in looking through all that information at that time. Now I see that I should have. Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. Are these Mean Well ones that you referred to switching power supplies?

Quite true! Please don't waste JS-2 outputs on a wireless switch! (though who knows?)

DACs, USB>S/PDIF converters, the REGEN, a headphone amp, a computer, an SSD are the descending priority order I recommend for our supply. The computer stuff is almost "slumming it" for a JS-2 (though it sounds great there an stands up to the competition constantly on computers), but not that many high-end DACs run off an external +DC voltage.

The Metric Halo ULN-8 and the exaSound DACs are two notable exceptions that come to mind because of the six units shipping this next week, one is going to a Metric Halo owner and two are going to exaSound DAC owners (Eurodriver/Edward being one of them). The "goodness" of a JS-2 and its various design choices really shine with DACs and audio components.

Now there is a fellow here from France that has bought 4(!) JS-2s (one he sold to a friend), and another from Canada who owns 2. But frankly with the flood of new orders these last 3 weeks, if someone asked to buy more than one JS-2 I might be inclined to turn then away until I can boost monthly output past my current dozen or so. (I am actively trying to hire a local part-time person to train for assembly).

What kind of DACs? Is it only for DACs that have that kind of input? This is just curiosity, since I'm guessing my DAC doesn't fall into the category that are powerd by external PS, but I did once have a DAC that had one, the Camelot Uther.

Alex,

Are these Mean Well ones that you referred to switching power supplies?

Yes, they are SMPS. Mean Well makes some of the best switchers--unless you want to spend $150, and then you should look at small linears. But I have not been able to find quality tabletop regulated LPS units at low cost--at least not in the output voltage range I was looking (there is a bit more on offer at 12V).

What kind of DACs? Is it only for DACs that have that kind of input? This is just curiosity, since I'm guessing my DAC doesn't fall into the category that are powerd by external PS, but I did once have a DAC that had one, the Camelot Uther.

Your Resolution Cantata already has several carefully done power supplies built in. Jeff Kalt is a friend and a sharp guy. He has done a wonderful job with that product. I wish the Cantata would get the wider recognition it deserves. I assume that you are still very happy with yours?

Best,

ALEX

Yes, they are SMPS. Mean Well makes some of the best switchers--unless you want to spend $150, and then you should look at small linears. But I have not been able to find quality tabletop regulated LPS units at low cost--at least not in the output voltage range I was looking (there is a bit more on offer at 12V).

Your Resolution Cantata already has several carefully done power supplies built in. Jeff Kalt is a friend and a sharp guy. He has done a wonderful job with that product. I wish the Cantata would get the wider recognition it deserves. I assume that you are still very happy with yours?

Best,

ALEX

Thanks. Got it.

Yes, I really love my Cantata. It's a very well-thought-out and versatile source that sounds even more gorgeous than its looks, which are already something to behold. I guess that once I tweak everything around the ethernet input it'll play as well as it does through the coax with my SBT (with Welborne LPS) as transport. At the moment I feel no urge to change my source whatsoever. Thanks again for the advice.

BTW, audio.de lists it as the runner-up as a source. That's pretty high praise from a mainstream point of view, at least for those who take the lists seriously.

Best regards

Andre

Yes, I really love my Cantata. It's a very well-thought-out and versatile source that sounds even more gorgeous than its looks, which are already something to behold. I guess that once I tweak everything around the ethernet input it'll play as well as it does through the coax with my SBT (with Welborne LPS) as transport.

André: How come you don't use the USB input of your Cantata instead of the S/PDIF? Do you not have the mod for USB from the Squeezebox Touch?

Also, have you ever tried Jeff's Pont Neuf USB>Ethernet adapter?

Cheers,

ALEX

André: How come you don't use the USB input of your Cantata instead of the S/PDIF? Do you not have the mod for USB from the Squeezebox Touch?

Also, have you ever tried Jeff's Pont Neuf USB>Ethernet adapter?

Cheers,

ALEX

Hi Alex,

I wrote you here and John answered here and I tried to explain here. I now just saw that the following sentence was incorrect, but unfortunately I can't edit it, so here goes. It should have read:

"The SBT USB async output was surprisingly inferior to the digital coax output."

If you would be so kind and point this out to him, since with this error my paragraph was completely non-sensical. What I meant to say is that through the experiences of these two colleagues and my own I'm led to believe that the USB output on the SBT is a problem. Having ethernet finally doing gapless playback I have an option that let's me bypass the whole digital transport thing altogether.

I haven't tried the pont neuf, since now it isn't necessary anymore. Now ethernet over UPnP actually works, which it didn't in the beginning.

I'd love to have your input on this.

Best regards

André