IGNORED

Anyone know anything about Alex (sandyk)?

esldude

I guess Alex does not have access to Internet. I wrote to him once but it bounced back, as if his email address is not working anymore.

Hey Alex, we are missing your emails, but better not start them in hospital. Could be killing !

haha

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Get better, Alex.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

That got a laugh out of me. Maybe it will Alex too.

Let's just hope Alex doesn't develop a new hypothesis where spinal canal stenosis results in improved hearing acuity.

Who is talking about "hypothesis" here?

Ther are statements derived from conclusions from his developed hearing capabilities.

Hypothesis for some people. Statements for some other. This is the only way humankind knowledge develops, and never staying stagned on the "theory of the day"...!

Roch

PS/ I'm sorry Alex_K for take your place. Fast and nice health recovery...!

Can't believe I really missed this thread... get well soon you old coot! Leave that nurse alone! :) :) :)

-Paul

How could you miss it? None of the threads have been derailed with power supply and recorded jitter debates!

Although I wish you well and a speedy recovery Alex, I for one am enjoying the peace and quiet no matter how short lived it may be! Lol

I visited Alex today at Hunters Hill Private rehab hospital. He's in pretty good spirits and is holding up as well as can be expected, given what he's gone through. He passes his thanks and best regards on to all here at CA and wants me to assure everyone that he definitely intends to be out of rehab very soon to once again grace the audio forums with his usual presence.

Realistically, if his progress continues at the present rate he could be back home within a week from now, although it will obviously take some time and effort to regain his old self completely.

I visited Alex today at Hunters Hill Private rehab hospital. He's in pretty good spirits and is holding up as well as can be expected, given what he's gone through. He passes his thanks and best regards on to all here at CA and wants me to assure everyone that he definitely intends to be out of rehab very soon to once again grace the audio forums with his usual presence.

Realistically, if his progress continues at the present rate he could be back home within a week from now, although it will obviously take some time and effort to regain his old self completely.

Thanks for the update on Alex. Sounds good, and is much appreciated.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Despite what you may or way not believe - you are much loved.

Looking forward to you being a pain in the arse again.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Hi RFP,

Thank you so much for the progress report.

Looking forward to Alex's return.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Thank you so much for the progress report.

Looking forward to Alex's return.

+1

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Best wishes to you, Alex. Don't try to get back to 100% all at once...just spend more time with music!!!

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

He should come back at 150% the objectivists are winning the battle:)

I, too, would welcome Alex's return as soon as possible. But, I would respectfully suggest that the objectivists are only winning subjectively in their own minds. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I, too, would welcome Alex's return as soon as possible. But, I would respectfully suggest that the objectivists are only winning subjectively in their own minds. :)

Hi Allan,

Soooooo very, very well said!

I believe what folks call "objectivity" is merely another subjective point of view.

Come back Alex!

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

what folks call "objectivity" is merely another subjective point of view.

Some of us would argue that what's indicated is to be objective (or as objective as possible) about our subjectivity, i.e. let's be exceedingly honest about the various influences on our (by definition) subjective experiences...

I believe everybody object is to listen to music, the best each one can, where the listening pleasure is the main object.

Of course the way we perceive music is totally subjective, that is the pleasure to be an human being, each one with his own different ADN mix. The day when robots substitute us could be different, I hope I shouldn't be there.

I don't believe in "golden ears" but trained. But some ITs in this (and other) forums believes they invented the music, because they know about bits and computers, but I could believe more in a deaf Beethoven, when he can compose lovely music even when he loss his hearing capabilities.

BTW, in some other thread somebody mentioned good musicians aren't good enough to SQ tests. I only I can tell you, they know the difference between a Cello and a Viola da Gamba, doesn't matter the kind of music gear where it's played, from MP3 to 24/192 or DSD...!

God bless Alex, he is very brave man,

Roch

Just heard from Dave M, a good longstanding friend of Alex and part of his regular music listening group.Dave just visited Alex who is now walking with the assistance of a frame.. or one pretty nurse.... or two ugly ones ! The appreciation of beauty is also subjective but it appears to have put an objective 'spring in his step' ;-). Pretty vs ugly nurse, does a "sighted" test count or just their measurements? (I stress, no harm to any nurses,pretty or otherwise, occured in these tests, actual or intended :-) )

Sounds like another week or two in hospital/Rehab and then home depending on whether an unrelated medical procedure needs attention earlier rather than later.

Cheers

David L

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Just heard from Dave M, a good longstanding friend of Alex and part of his regular music listening group.Dave just visited Alex who is now walking with the assistance of a frame.. or one pretty nurse.... or two ugly ones ! The appreciation of beauty is also subjective but it appears to have put an objective 'spring in his step' ;-). Pretty vs ugly nurse, does a "sighted" test count or just their measurements? (I stress, no harm to any nurses,pretty or otherwise, occured in these tests, actual or intended :-) )

Sounds like another week or two in hospital/Rehab and then home depending on whether an unrelated medical procedure needs attention earlier rather than later.

Cheers

David L

See, I don't doubt for a minute that one pretty nurse is worth more step spring than two ugly ones. I don't even need a blind test. Heck, how can you blind test for nurse prettiness? :)

Hope to see posts from you soon Alex. Get well soonest. We miss you on CA.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Heck, how can you blind test for nurse prettiness? :)

Close your eyes and grope, and if you do that comparing two nurses would that count as Double Blind Testing? :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

So let me get this straight. Alex should be performing "double blind" tests with an ABX format, no fewer than ten samples, preferably more, with no more than 20 seconds with each (about right, word on the street). If he can statistically significantly demonstrate greater "gate" in his giddy-up, that is is the better nurse option? Am I missing something key here? What if he can't make it to the third test due to "fatigue" in the allotted time? What if he can just see or feel a difference but no performance difference can be detected? Heck, what if the nurse is a witch? Does that make Alex a newt (even if he gets better)?

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification