IGNORED

USB DAC on 9 meters USB 3 cable!

I have Fiio E10 and it was working fine on my previous computer with a 9 meters USB3 cable. Things suddenly changed when I upgraded to a newer motherboard! E10 is detected by windows but can't play audio. Any limitation DACS have as far as length of USB cable is concerned. It worked without issues on previous set up.

i5 4440 - AsRock H81 - Vengeance 4X2 GB - Samsung 850 Pro 128 GB - ATI R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - Xonar DX - FiiO E10 - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 -  Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R

I would first try using a powered hub on the other end. Normally long USB extensions like that will only work with low-power devices, but placing a powered hub on the end fixes that.

Alternatively you could try something like the iFi iUSBPower, though that is a much more expensive option.

If that does not solve it, it's probably the cable. Corning sell "USB 3.Optical" cables in 5/10/30/50m lengths. These only carry data though, not power - so they require a hub on the other end.

Thanks for the input. I connected cable to a PCI USB Extension card and it is working as of now. Will keep your options in mind.

I would first try using a powered hub on the other end. Normally long USB extensions like that will only work with low-power devices, but placing a powered hub on the end fixes that.

Alternatively you could try something like the iFi iUSBPower, though that is a much more expensive option.

If that does not solve it, it's probably the cable. Corning sell "USB 3.Optical" cables in 5/10/30/50m lengths. These only carry data though, not power - so they require a hub on the other end.

i5 4440 - AsRock H81 - Vengeance 4X2 GB - Samsung 850 Pro 128 GB - ATI R7 240 - L42ET60D / S2240L - Xonar DX - FiiO E10 - Kali Audio LP6 - TinAudio T2 - ATH-M40X - Anker Spirit X - JBL Flip 4 - Fenvi 9260 WiFi/BT 5 -  Corsair K55/Harpoon - VS350 - Carbide 400R

Is there any way to do this over Cat5?

Thanks.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Even though the cable is USB 3.0, the DAC USB port is likely 1.1, or maybe 2.0. Therefore the maximum cable length supported is either 3 or 5 m. You have just been using it over specifications and it worked for you—although there might have been data loss that you were not aware of, and of course the setup might not been stable.

A USB repeater, extender, or even an active USB hub might help.

• 2 months later...