IGNORED

Newbie Server/Player and Jriver Questions

ragnar

Long time forum follower and low intensity computer audio player dabbler but never really had a need to replace the Sonos system that was working pretty well (except for the 64k track limitation) ...but, now that JRemote seems to have matured enough, I'm ready to jump in 100% to the ComputerServer/JRiver experience ...if I can figure out some weird sH%#$/irritating features.

Running JR20 on a SERV2012R2 (i7, 16Gb, SSD for OS, 1Tb spinning iron HD for storage) machine, it has a local monitor/keyboard (for now), direct connection to externalDAC (Peachtree NovaPre) and HiFi. Have a licensed copy of AudiophileOptimizer ready to try out but have not got around to it yet (3 weeks of mind numbing effort to clean up 100k tags and 6k of album art - don't ever want to do THAT again) JRemote running on an IPAD AIR and main control/configuration is (most conveniently) from an upstairs desktop via Microsoft RDC. Library is 6000+ albums, more or less externally cleaned up and tag corrected, +95% of albums have folder.jpg artwork in folders (not embedded). Have a couple of original iPads available for control or display purposed but they are limited to earlier versions of JRemote due to IOS upgrade limitations.

I love the current capabilities of JRemote - given a properly tagged Library, it makes selection and control very easy and is wife/guest friendly. I currently have a monitor sitting on top of the hifi stack that looks damn impressive showing image displays while the music is playing but there are some issues.

Main questions so far:

1. (JRiver) Where does the JRiver NowPlaying image display get its pictures and is there a way to filter/control them. It appears that 80% of the pictures being displayed are ..correct, but 20% are wrong/inappropriate - for example Patti Griffin will show mostly pictures related to Patti Griffin the singer but will also randomly show pictures somehow related to random other people named Patti Griffin - most seem pretty innocuous and are irritating if obviously wrong but I am worried something embarrassing might show show up at an inopportune moment in the middle of a party playlist?

2. (JRiver/Microsoft) It seems like I can (usually) get to just showing the folder.jpg and it seems to keep the display alive while playing but once the playlist is over, the machine seems to go into sleep mode and I have to log in again...which is a pain. Is there a way to keep the machine from logging out, no problem with the monitor going black as long as I can force it to reawaken when the music starts again? Any suggestions?

3. (Microsoft) When I log in remotely to the Server it logs off the local user and shows the Windows Log in screen, is there a way to disable this so I don't have to locally log in after every remote session to get back to showing the desktop display view?

4. (JRemote) Not entirely sure I want or need to keep the monitor at the HiFi but the folder.jpg display is VERY nice...I thought about putting an IPad or tablet on the stack as a permanent control/display leaving the server headless but it would appear that when showing the JRemote fullscreen now-playing display, it doesn't get updated when the track or album changes - is this a limitation in JRemote or in my configuration abilities?

Any and all comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated (essentially equivalent message was also left on the JRiver forum)

Ragnar

I've experienced some of this, here's what I have learned.

1. (JRiver) Where does the JRiver NowPlaying image display get its pictures and is there a way to filter/control them. It appears that 80% of the pictures being displayed are ..correct, but 20% are wrong/inappropriate - for example Patti Griffin will show mostly pictures related to Patti Griffin the singer but will also randomly show pictures somehow related to random other people named Patti Griffin - most seem pretty innocuous and are irritating if obviously wrong but I am worried something embarrassing might show show up at an inopportune moment in the middle of a party playlist?

I believe the artwork that gets randomly displayed during play comes from Last.fm, it may be something else. If you play something really different (I think I was playing Bolero when this happened) you will see totally incorrect images and get an occasional nag text box telling you that if you did better job tagging the file they could do a better job with images. Funny story, had many folks over, we play pass the remote (JRemote) and someone selected Flashlight from Parliament. Well Last.fm had nothing about the group and was showing images of Parliament in action, you know, like congress - it was quite funny.

2. (JRiver/Microsoft) It seems like I can (usually) get to just showing the folder.jpg and it seems to keep the display alive while playing but once the playlist is over, the machine seems to go into sleep mode and I have to log in again...which is a pain. Is there a way to keep the machine from logging out, no problem with the monitor going black as long as I can force it to reawaken when the music starts again? Any suggestions?

Do some googling, there is a way to tell the OS that you don't want to be logged out. You can also tell it to automatically log you in upon reboot and launch apps you want to have running at start up (i.e. JRMC). I did this, and it wasn't a registry trick, but I can't remember how - it was specific settings in specific dialog boxes drilling down to the specific settings. There is also a setting in JRMC regarding the display and keeping it on at all times (I might be able to find that option - I'll report back).

3. (Microsoft) When I log in remotely to the Server it logs off the local user and shows the Windows Log in screen, is there a way to disable this so I don't have to locally log in after every remote session to get back to showing the desktop display view?

Yea, that's the way it is. I would be very interested if you could find a way around that. We have a lot of systems engineers where I work and they all think this is by design to prevent two different access points having control of the computer at the same time. Part of this may be because I have admin rights.

4. (JRemote) Not entirely sure I want or need to keep the monitor at the HiFi but the folder.jpg display is VERY nice...I thought about putting an IPad or tablet on the stack as a permanent control/display leaving the server headless but it would appear that when showing the JRemote fullscreen now-playing display, it doesn't get updated when the track or album changes - is this a limitation in JRemote or in my configuration abilities?

Now playing screen - you mean with the tracks on the left and the album cover on the right? If so, mine updates as tracks change, even if it's the same album. It doesn't actual swap out the album cover until the next/new songs has been playing for a few seconds. I have a little stand and I keep the iPad running JRemote near my listening station, showing the Now Playing screen most of the time.

I'm sure other will have some better answers, hopefully this can help get you started till then

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

""... someone selected Flashlight from Parliament. Well Last.fm had nothing about the group and was showing images of Parliament in action, you know, like congress - it was quite funny.""

As long as it was funny and noone searched on "Fleshlight" :) - I know I was surprised using PerfectunesAlbumCoverSearch when trying to find Hot Club of Cowtown & Swing -!!!!!! ...interesting images, not really related to that particular CD and DEFINITELY not appropriate for a polite get together! :)

"Do some googling, there is a way to tell the OS that you don't want to be logged out. You can also tell it to automatically log you in upon reboot and launch apps you want to have running at start up (i.e. JRMC). I did this, and it wasn't a registry trick, but I can't remember how - it was specific settings in specific dialog boxes drilling down to the specific settings. There is also a setting in JRMC regarding the display and keeping it on at all times (I might be able to find that option - I'll report back)."

I may not be getting logged out, will have to watch a bit more carefully but JRiver does seem to revert away from the cover display back to the more generic NowPlaying c/w the last.fm images.

"Yea, that's the way it is. I would be very interested if you could find a way around that. We have a lot of systems engineers where I work and they all think this is by design to prevent two different access points having control of the computer at the same time. Part of this may be because I have admin rights."

There has to be a way as you would want/need shared access if you were providing in place tech-support/remote assistance - problem is finding the right rerminology to search - hopefully someone will provide the correct settings.

"Now playing screen - you mean with the tracks on the left and the album cover on the right? If so, mine updates as tracks change, even if it's the same album. It doesn't actual swap out the album cover until the next/new songs has been playing for a few seconds. I have a little stand and I keep the iPad running JRemote near my listening station, showing the Now Playing screen most of the time."

The NowPlaying screen seems to update OK, I was referring to the full screen AlbumCover image only, no track info - that doesn't seem to update with track changes. :(

Tks for the suggestions, hopefully more will be forthcoming from others as well.

Ragnar