IGNORED

Convert 24/96 FLAC to ALAC

Boy this CAS stuff is hard for us newbies. After mugging around with MM and Foobar I have decided that this stuff is all too hard for me. SO I have made the decision to order a Macbook Pro and join the easy life.

Before migrating to Mac I need to convert my biggish library of about 750GB from FLAC to ALAC. I have about 40 albums worth of 24/96 files and that needs to be converted to ALAC. But it turns out that dbPoweramp does not support conversion to 24 bits ALAC nor does Foobar.

Just when I thought I found a clever solution, converting from FLAC to AIFF and using iTunes to convert it back to ALAC resulting in 24/44.1Khz

Any idea of how to convert from hires FLAC to ALAC and retained the resolution?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

to DBPoweramp to mimic AgentSmith's issues I also saw the note that says "Supported Source Audio: 16 bit stereo mono". How did you get around that for 24/96 ALAC? This is what he might be running i to. Agree that XLD is an option (once moved) but the OP might want to get work done prior to that. I love DBPoweramp's batch conversion utility.

So is it correct that the only way to convert 24/96 FLAC to ALAC is through the Mac environment?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

Hi Guys - You are 100% correct and I spoke too soon. I did a bunch of converting from everything to everything and overlooked the 24 bit to 16 bit issue. I happy someone brought this up or I would have found this out the hard way after far too many albums were converted or after I had told many people to go ahead and do it. Thanks very much guys! I owe you one.

I did contact dBpoweramp and they are working on this right now. No estimated time of arrival for the update or if it will be in version 14 which could be a ways away.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Why go through the hassle of converting before making the switch? Just copy the FLAC files over to the new Mac when you get it and run them through XLD or Max, which will automatically add the ALAC copies to iTunes. Then trash the original FLACs. Am I missing something?

Being a PC person, I have been trying get everything converted while waiting for my lovely new Macbook pro to deliver.

I guess I will find out how much easier it is to do things when I get my Mac feet wet.

By the way, aside from the fact that I have to exit and restart iTunes to change sampling rate manually, are there any limitation for using Mac connecting via Firewire to a Weiss DAC? Will it work bit-perfectly up to 24/192, without any tinkering with the system like the PC environment?

>> If using Amarra (in demo mode, with rental ilok, all out purchased, etc) then sample rate changes automatically.

I cannot afford Amarra especially since the only tangible benefit I can see is the auto switching capability. I only have a handful of hires content so I guess exiting iTunes to change sample rate is not the en of the world.

I'm a Mac user. The problem I had with Max is that it won't use the file name for the track name. I have a lot of live music in flac and the individual tracks are usually named something like gd77-07-08d1t1 ie Grateful Dead 7-8-1977 disc one, track one and Max would rename it track1 or something like that. But you can use xACT to do all kind of format changes and it will do 24/96. I use xACT to transfer flacs (including 24/96 files) to AIFF and then drop those into iTunes and convert to ALAC. It's extra steps but I haven't found an easier way yet. What we really need is for iTunes to support FLAC.

Karl

I've ping'd them awhile ago (when they announced it) to ask how it will be played, as iTunes won't even manage FLAC files, let alone play them, and Amarra, up until now, has needed iTunes for library management and GUI. No answer yet!

I have used Max successfully to transfer downloaded FLAC files, both 16 and 24 bit, from Society of Sound and Linn records into AIFF and directly into iTunes on a MacMini....works quickly and effectively as far as I can tell.....would also do conversion to ALAC or other formats for iPod...its freeware and Simon Booth is a god!

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

• 2 years later...