IGNORED

8 Sinatra Albums Arrive in DSD on Super HiRez

Yes, and if anyone has any info on the provenance of the DSD files… would be very interested to know if these were converted from PCM (and if so, from a higher-res digital master than the 24/192 files available for retail download) or done as a separate analog tape to DSD transfer!

Best bet would be to contact Acoustic Sounds to see if the record label provided any sourcing info on the DSD files.

Received this from Acoustic Sounds support (kudos to them for the quick reply):

"The DSD download are transferred out of house, but are a completely different transfer. (A>D) conversion

Mastered by

Bernie Grundman 25 SEPT 2014"

Sounds promising. Anyone heard these yet?

Analog to DSD is the way to go. And Bernie Grundman certainly has does his share of transfers for SACD release. So he knows his way around DSD.

I've picked up Watertown and Swingin' Brass in DSD. Good ones.

And the answer from Acoustic Sounds from Universal Music is.....

"Attention Customers: On Jan 06, 2015 Universal Music informed us that these DSD files were created from the 192/24 HD digital transfer of the original analog master."

So, does that mean that the 192/24 PCM downloads (that they offer along with DSD!) have been used as a source? That is a kind of a rip-off

So, does that mean that the 192/24 PCM downloads (that they offer along with DSD!) have been used as a source? That is a kind of a rip-off

Yes, that's what it means.

Ripoff? Not if they tell you about it.

Why? Some people prefer the sound of the DSD anyway (even converted from PCM) so this gives them a choice of formats to download.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

They don't really tell you about it - it took some investigating to find out that these DSD files were converted from PCM. Not exactly upfront transparent

You need to get used to the unfortunate reality: the labels often don't supply any provenance information, and even when asked say they don't know.

Acoustic Sounds provides it when they know it, and they ask the record companies if a consumer requests it. I agree that it isn't the best situation, that they should ask for us ahead of time - but it is what it is.

If that is a problem for you then be a vigilant consumer and don't buy anything unless you are provided with source information, even if you have to request it.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Why? Some people prefer the sound of the DSD anyway (even converted from PCM) so this gives them a choice of formats to download.

I thought the point of DSD was to eliminate the harshness of PCM from anywhere in the chain, i.e. if PCM was ever present it ruins DSD.

You need to get used to the unfortunate reality: the labels often don't supply any provenance information, and even when asked say they don't know.

Acoustic Sounds provides it when they know it, and they ask the record companies if a consumer requests it. I agree that it isn't the best situation, that they should ask for us ahead of time - but it is what it is.

If that is a problem for you then be a vigilant consumer and don't buy anything unless you are provided with source information, even if you have to request it.

any distributor should know the origin of the files - you get hi-res files from a record label and you ask what is their native resolution... in my view, they deliberately avoid requesting that kind of information and providing it upfront to the customers

They should post the provenance before putting it up for sale. That would be the ethical way to go, not to sell, then tell.

Not saying there is any ethics in sales, but IF a vendor wanted to do it right, that should be the way it's done.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

They should post the provenance before putting it up for sale. That would be the ethical way to go, not to sell, then tell.

Not saying there is any ethics in sales, but IF a vendor wanted to do it right, that should be the way it's done.

Sounds like a great approach. The only problem is the major record labels rarely provide such information.

Download sites that carry downloads from big name artists and major labels - and wait for the provenance information will be at a disadvantage vs. those who post the download files as they come in from the major labels.

We'd love to sell you those Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, James Taylor, etc. downloads the other music sites are selling. But we can't. We're waiting for the provenance information first, even though we know it may never be provided by the record companies.....

Interestingly I believe that Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me" is only available in mono. When I got my copy the Album picture shown had stereo on it but it was mono. My copy came from from Prostudiomasters, which now lists the stereo as being unavailable. Acoustic sounds doesn't say what any of their versions are other than the stereo album picture of one of the two 24/196 versions. And the DSD looks like the mono picture too. What gives with the stereo recording, was the master damaged? This album came out in1958 and was I believe Sinatra's 2nd stereo recording.

Don R. Keehn DDS

Sounds like a great approach. The only problem is the major record labels rarely provide such information.

Download sites that carry downloads from big name artists and major labels - and wait for the provenance information will be at a disadvantage vs. those who post the download files as they come in from the major labels.

We'd love to sell you those Bruce Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, James Taylor, etc. downloads the other music sites are selling. But we can't. We're waiting for the provenance information first, even though we know it may never be provided by the record companies.....

And it's not just that. First, much of the hi-res music is provided not by the labels, but by middlemen-distributors, who don't give a **** about the provenance. Second, the labels themselves are so bad at record keeping etc, that they themselves often don't know the answer. Basically I think it means they consider it of so little importance that they pay no attention.

You guys and your complaints are right in theory, but the reality is sadly different. I at least try to send some of my business to Acoustic Sounds and ProStudioMasters, as both vendors make an actual effort to provide the provenance info, and answer emails about it if asked. Unlike HDT in most cases.

You guys and your complaints are right in theory, but the reality is sadly different. I at least try to send some of my business to Acoustic Sounds and ProStudioMasters, as both vendors make an actual effort to provide the provenance info, and answer emails about it if asked.

Agreed. It's nice to see sites like Acoustic Sounds, Pro Studio Masters, Blue Coast and Native DSD provide this info. Even if it is missing elsewhere.

And the answer from Acoustic Sounds from Universal Music is.....

"Attention Customers: On Jan 06, 2015 Universal Music informed us that these DSD files were created from the 192/24 HD digital transfer of the original analog master."

Many thanks for having shared this piece of information. Much appreciated.