IGNORED

True story: how I got cured of the bits-are-bits disease

prot

... .- .-. -.-. .- ... --

Like every good conversion story this has to start with a full admission: I admit, I so used to be one of those annoying bits-are-bits people. Guess the culprit was that useless IT education I got.

But then it so happened that someone posted a wonderful Sagan quote on a messy CA thread

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

―― Carl Sagan

Such a wonderfully adequate quote for the trustyourears vs bitsarebits 'wars'. And that reminded me of many other beautiful quotes by other respected 'sciencedudes' like Feynman, Einstein, Turing, etc... Then I thought, why don't I check some quotes by the respected goldenear zenmasters of the audio world?! And thanks to a wonderful ear-visionary on this forum (audiophile-neuro-something), I was able to find one of the truest, clearest and most autoritative voices in the Audiophilia wonderland.

... the SSD sounds cool, sophisticated, pure, smooth, vital, almost crystal clear ...

―― EnjoyTheMusic Review by Martin Colloms

I have to admit, that did sound much different than the dry sciencedude talk I was used to ... so much eloquence, such beautifully musical language. It kinda upset me too, because mr Colomns' SSD produced all those wonderful sounds and mine does nothing like that ... poor thing doesn't even produce a single beep :(

And then it suddenly dawned on me. I heard the light! Yes that's a thing! It's exactly the kind of zen-moment that you live when the AudiophiliaGod finally puts his hands on you and you become a true goldenears master. It all became soooo clear after that ... mr. Colomns' SSD was made with love by his goldenear friends and I got mine from those horrible bits-are-bits scammers who just put gibberish 1s & 0s on them to confuse the good people!

All my life I studied those lifeless IT papers full of dry 1s & 0s, never aware of the incredibly beautiful world in between. Yes, the USB drivers I debugged after reading my sinful IT papers started to actually work ... yes the many websites I touched were working just fine with only 1s & 0s. But I was always kinda sad and never knew why. Now, thanks to wonderful buddies like the audiophile-neurosomething, the half-missing-dude and the exquisitely eloquent mr.Colomns, I am happy again ... I got cured of that awful itsy-bitsy bits-are-bits wickedness and I can now hear it all: cool, sophisticated, pure, smooth, vital, crystal clear...

P.S.

that is like ... just a story ... dont get all upset if you gf leaves you after reading it ... or your boss catches & fires you.

Oh and there was another thing that gave me precious solace after I found out how badly those bits-are-bits tricksters scammed me with their silent SSD : my beautiful SFaber speakers still produce soundwaves :D

P.S.

added a warning (sorta) at the beginning of the story...dont try to read that if you are an audiophile! ... you'll get lost cause, as we all know, there is so much stuff between those lines & dots ;)

Hey, what makes you think you can come in here and post truth like that?

I think you haven't paid proper penance myself.

Besides, some SSDs sound crunchy, just the way some folks like it. Smooth is not everything.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

That part is 100% FOR REAL...verbatim from

Audio Networking A potpourri of computer network audio findings, including updates on the Naim UnitiServe, gigabit switches, CAT 5/6 cable and ripping issues. Review By Martin Colloms

I may be able to write a lil story but that kind of stuff requires a very special talent...and I'm just a beginner goldenears master :)

It's certainly music to someones ears :-)

Computers are very noisy though and its very possible that efforts to reduce various types of noise might improve things.

I don't suspect ripping with linear power supplies will attract any members of the opposite sex though :-)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Quick hint: the HDD sounds even better !!!

But there is only one guy in this workd who can put that in words: master Colomns

(link above)

Of course I still want the 30% sound quality improvement codified in some way that means something. Then again if I were as adept at the flowery words I wouldn't need all that would I?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15994[/ATTACH]

Very bad quality, alfe...!!!

You need to try White Russian variety :;)

You do not even need a SSD, no music or bits, nothing...

The problem is was developed on my labs in Bonsai size, then you need about seven threes for one person consumption. But, if this is legal in your country I can send you some seeds.

Roch

PS/

marijuana-leaf-blue.jpg

Pictured at night. No light and no flash...!

... .- .-. -.-. .- ... --

Like every good conversion story this has to start with a full admission: I admit, I so used to be one of those annoying bits-are-bits people. Guess the culprit was that useless IT education I got.

But then it so happened that someone posted a wonderful Sagan quote on a messy CA thread

Such a wonderfully adequate quote for the trustyourears vs bitsarebits 'wars'. And that reminded me of many other beautiful quotes by other respected 'sciencedudes' like Feynman, Einstein, Turing, etc... Then I thought, why don't I check some quotes by the respected goldenear zenmasters of the audio world?! And thanks to a wonderful ear-visionary on this forum (audiophile-neuro-something), I was able to find one of the truest, clearest and most autoritative voices in the Audiophilia wonderland.

I have to admit, that did sound much different than the dry sciencedude talk I was used to ... so much eloquence, such beautifully musical language. It kinda upset me too, because mr Colomns' SSD produced all those wonderful sounds and mine does nothing like that ... poor thing doesn't even produce a single beep :(

And then it suddenly dawned on me. I heard the light! Yes that's a thing! It's exactly the kind of zen-moment that you live when the AudiophiliaGod finally puts his hands on you and you become a true goldenears master. It all became soooo clear after that ... mr. Colomns' SSD was made with love by his goldenear friends and I got mine from those horrible bits-are-bits scammers who just put gibberish 1s & 0s on them to confuse the good people!

All my life I studied those lifeless IT papers full of dry 1s & 0s, never aware of the incredibly beautiful world in between. Yes, the USB drivers I debugged after reading my sinful IT papers started to actually work ... yes the many websites I touched were working just fine with only 1s & 0s. But I was always kinda sad and never knew why. Now, thanks to wonderful buddies like the audiophile-neurosomething, the half-missing-dude and the exquisitely eloquent mr.Colomns, I am happy again ... I got cured of that awful itsy-bitsy bits-are-bits wickedness and I can now hear it all: cool, sophisticated, pure, smooth, vital, crystal clear...

P.S.

that is like ... just a story ... dont get all upset if you gf leaves you after reading it ... or your boss catches & fires you.

You do feel you are funny... But the article has good info, and you are taking what he is saying out of context.

the article has good info, and you are taking what he is saying out of context.

Pls dont be put off by my previous comment and feel free to enlighten us all about that beautiful "context" ... maybe that can take my conversion to the next level :)

Plain English please , cheetah me and do not understand slang, here in the jungle... Even Google Translators are running out of fuel!

Roch

Ahhh ... ok bottlehead crack is a tube headphone amplifier ... bottlehead uses names that are slang for various drugs ... mainline (heroin) speed (amphetimines) and crack (cocaine)...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Its the source of my saying that: you are better off smoking crack than spending $1k on ethernet cables :-))

Which is, perhaps unconsciously, a corollary of the famous Freak Brothers mantra, "Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope." :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron