IGNORED

Music cd converter

jay1023

dbPowerAmp is usually recommended. The alternative is EAC.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

dbPowerAmp is usually recommended. The alternative is EAC.

I agree with the above for Windows. dBpoweramp is a commercial product whereas Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is free. IMO, dBpoweramp is worth every penny because of all the features it provides.

You mention DSD. You normally can't rip SACDs to DSD because of Sony's copyright protection. However, there is a way which involves using an early model Sony PS3 and special software. I won't go into any detail here because there is a very lengthy thread on the topic: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/ Or you can google "SACD Ripping".

Welcome to CA!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cddarip/

CD XP Ripper

This one isn't too bad either. Free, might as well download it and see what you think. Pretty simple to use and does all the basics like tagging the rips etc. The interface isn't gee whiz, but it works fine.

I have done ripping with a number of things. db poweramp has the most creature comforts I suppose. Try a couple of the free ones to rip a few CD's then look at the features of db poweramp and see if you find them worthwhile. Any software that gets you accurate rips and does tagging for metadata is fine.

After doing all my CD's the first time over a few days I now will use Foobar or EAC when adding one or two new CD's to my music.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I agree with the above for Windows. dBpoweramp is a commercial product whereas Exact Audio Copy (EAC) is free. IMO, dBpoweramp is worth every penny because of all the features it provides.

You mention DSD. You normally can't rip SACDs to DSD because of Sony's copyright protection. However, there is a way which involves using an early model Sony PS3 and special software. I won't go into any detail here because there is a very lengthy thread on the topic: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/ Or you can google "SACD Ripping".

Welcome to CA!

Possibly, jay1023 said about converting CD to DSD files (DSF or DFF audio files)?

Better use DSF due it have metatags support (song name, album, performer,...)

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

thank you so much guys~~ as i have recently start to purchase all the singer cds i love. I am looking for high resolution songs as i am going to use a DAP with my sennheiser amperior to listen to my music. So is it possible to get DSF files or convert all my cds into those format? any recommandation where can i get the biggest online store for cds or dsf format music?

Converting a CD to DSF format will not make the tracks sound any better, and adds a further set of processing to what are native PCM files. It will also limit them to hardware that can read DSD.

Rip your CDs to FLAC or AIFF. The posters above have given you plenty of good alternatives.

Converting a CD to DSF format will not make the tracks sound any better, and adds a further set of processing to what are native PCM files.

That's very system and implementation-dependent. What if the output stage for DSD 2x is better?

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

Converting a CD to DSF format will not make the tracks sound any better, and adds a further set of processing to what are native PCM files. It will also limit them to hardware that can read DSD.

Rip your CDs to FLAC or AIFF. The posters above have given you plenty of good alternatives.

I agree with YashN.

Theoretically for PCM DAC better PCM formats, for DSD - DSD formats. But I heard different opinions. Need try own system (player - operation system - drivers - DAC).

DSD128 by my measurements better PCM24 ( How Impact to Audio Quality of PCM to DSF Conversion. 1-bit DSF vs. PCM ).

But it is complex matter again. :)

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

ok thank you all! :) any earphone that can recommend? to suit all this HD tracks?

The Headfi forums are a wealth of knowledge but let me start by asking a few questions:

Budget for headphones?

What are you going to drive them with?

What kinds of music do you like?

Would you like an over ear, on-ear or in ear?

The Headfi forums are a wealth of knowledge but let me start by asking a few questions:

Budget for headphones?

What are you going to drive them with?

What kinds of music do you like?

Would you like an over ear, on-ear or in ear?

hey erm budget not too expensive less than 500 bucks more than 200 bucks. planning to use fiio X1 to drive them. using flac music format and i am all rounder listen to all genre expect for heavy metal. mostly are pop r&b club mix and rock music like bon jovi.

I agree with YashN.

Theoretically for PCM DAC better PCM formats, for DSD - DSD formats. But I heard different opinions. Need try own system (player - operation system - drivers - DAC).

DSD128 by my measurements better PCM24 ( How Impact to Audio Quality of PCM to DSF Conversion. 1-bit DSF vs. PCM ).

But it is complex matter again. :)

hi there wow erm i have a hard time understanding the names what is pcm? does 24 41 128 all this make a different i dont really know how to differentiate them. mind explaning it to me? :)

hi there wow erm i have a hard time understanding the names what is pcm? does 24 41 128 all this make a different i dont really know how to differentiate them. mind explaning it to me? :)

PCM = WAV, AIFF, FLAC, APE, CD, mp3, ... (formats with multibit samples - 16/24/32 bit [integer] and 32/64 bit floating point)

main sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz

DSD = DSF, DFF, SACD ISO image (formats with 1-bit samples)

sample rates: D64(2.8 MHz = 44.1 x 64), D128(5.6 MHz = 44.1 x 128), D256(11.2 MHz = 44.1 x 256), D512(22.5 MHz = 44.1 x 512)

DSD DAC simpler multibit DAC.

PCM = WAV, AIFF, FLAC, APE, CD, mp3, ... (formats with multibit samples - 16/24/32 bit [integer] and 32/64 bit floating point)

main sample rates: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kHz

DSD = DSF, DFF, SACD ISO image (formats with 1-bit samples)

sample rates: D64(2.8 MHz = 44.1 x 64), D128(5.6 MHz = 44.1 x 128), D256(11.2 MHz = 44.1 x 256), D512(22.5 MHz = 44.1 x 512)

DSD DAC simpler multibit DAC.

so i believe flac will be a better choice to use am i right? how does the main sample rates affect the music?

so i believe flac will be a better choice to use am i right? how does the main sample rates affect the music?

FLAC save free space on HDD.

Generally, sample rate and bit-depth better use maximal for your DAC.

Practically, need check sound for different sample rates with your system.

jay1023 -

CDs are always produced in 16-bit depth, 44.1kHz sampling rate (i.e., 16/44 or "Redbook") format. As dpstjp2 pointed out in post #9, ripping CDs to anything other than 16/44 PCM (FLAC is probably your best choice, as it saves disk space and supports all the tags you need) is unnecessary and may be detrimental, as any conversion to another bit depth (e.g., 16>24) , sampling rate (e.g., 44>96), or format (e.g., PCM>DSD) invariably involves discarding the original content on the CD and replacing it with something that has been run through a conversion program. That converted data may or may not "sound better" to you on your system . . . but what will certainly not be the original data that was on the disk.

If you want to try converting to other formats *after* you've ripped a bit perfect copy of your CD then, by all means, give it a whirl. But don't throw away the original data at the time you rip it.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

jay1023 -

CDs are always produced in 16-bit depth, 44.1kHz sampling rate (i.e., 16/44 or "Redbook") format. As dpstjp2 pointed out in post #9, ripping CDs to anything other than 16/44 PCM (FLAC is probably your best choice, as it saves disk space and supports all the tags you need) is unnecessary and may be detrimental, as any conversion to another bit depth (e.g., 16>24) , sampling rate (e.g., 44>96), or format (e.g., PCM>DSD) invariably involves discarding the original content on the CD and replacing it with something that has been run through a conversion program. That converted data may or may not "sound better" to you on your system . . . but what will certainly not be the original data that was on the disk.

If you want to try converting to other formats *after* you've ripped a bit perfect copy of your CD then, by all means, give it a whirl. But don't throw away the original data at the time you rip it.

Which gets us back to dBPowerAmp since it comes with an app that will convert just about everything except DSD formats. It would be very easy to; a) rip a CD to 16:44, then b) covert a copy to a few other bit depth / resolutions (i.e. 24:96) and check it out yourself. This will let you experience the sound and get a feel for dealing with the data (high res files get rather large). I agree with John, up converting may not be the best path - and even if you can't hear a difference dealing with the larger files for no appreciable gain is often the deal breaker - particularly when using a portable device.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

DACs like PS Audio DS, Meitner, Playback designs internally use DSD128 and from there start the "to Audio" conversion. So whether a CD is converted before the DAC to DSD or not, is largely a matter of deciding disk space. I found any DSD is easier on the ear than PCM.

To convert anything to DSD, I used to use Jriver, however better results are obtained from AudioGate 3.0. Dbpoweramp can convert DSD to PCM, not the other way round for the moment.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Dbpoweramp can convert DSD to PCM, not the other way round for the moment.

I tried that just last week, dBPowerAmp did not recognize the DSF files. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Hi John,

I'm new in everything. Please forgive me if this isn't the right forum to ask. (Or, I should start a new thread?)

Project Software/Hardware: PC, Win7, Adobe Audition (2.0), music CDs, mic/digital mixer, MacBook Air, Yosemite. (no fancy speakers system).

Question:

I want to produce the best quality CD (given my equipment + music), I should rip CD (Adobe can extract CD with settings like: MMC Read CD, CD speeds (1936 kBps), and buffer size (16kb)), mix sound tracks, and save the file as WAV and/or AIFF as the master file.

Do I really need to look into MAC rip software posted in this forum like XLD or MAX etc? (If necessary, I can spend some time ripping those CDs in my Mac.)

Since I don't have Audition for MAC, I have to use Audition in my PC and get the WAV or AIFF output. I should also assume the end product CD to be the same whether I finally burn it in a Mac or PC, right? (As long as the sample rate/type is set 44100, bit depth is 16 bits.)

I lost a huge stock of master files but I still have some MP3 files which were converted from those master files. Reading posts everywhere makes me realize that I couldn't possibly convert those mp3 files back to their original richer wav or aiff. That means I have to redo the masters.

Thank you very much for your time.

FYI:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/550033?tstart=0

A good song finds me even during my sleep.

Thank God for my aging ears. I now can filter out blah blah blah and tune in blue blue blue...

hey erm budget not too expensive less than 500 bucks more than 200 bucks. planning to use fiio X1 to drive them. using flac music format and i am all rounder listen to all genre expect for heavy metal. mostly are pop r&b club mix and rock music like bon jovi.

For this kind of music, I'd certainly consider at the VMODA offerings... either the XS for super portable on-ear or the Crossfade M-100 for slightly larger over-ear (circumaural) style. The M-100 has more bass. There are many many options in this price range.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.