IGNORED

Comments Needed For 1st Network

After Reading mayhem13's comments in english210's thread, I'm considering a move from direct connection of my Asus netBook to powerline network connection, and gaining access to a much better PC in the process.

Months ago, I purchased a TP-Link TL-PA4010AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter (reviewed here) which is connected to our router along with an excellent and largely unused QuadCore Dell PC (OS: WIN7 64bit Home Premium). My consideration is accessing and controlling media on this PC via Apple Airport Express wired to the network via TP-Link AV-500 extender. My USB DAC would connect to the Airport Express (and the amplifier, of course). My "new" audio system would be controlled by an iPad (2 or later) with JRemote which, via the Airport Express, and over the wired powerline network, would communicate to JRiver MC on the Dell PC.

Perfect solution or lunacy?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

More questions:

Which would be the hot ticket for use with just a 2-channel USB DAC: Aiport Express, AppleTV, the upcoming "end-all be-all" referred to by mayhem13, or something else entirely?

If I purchased additional above units for the other 3 audio systems in our home, would the iPad easily be able to discern between them and control them?

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Given my VERY limited understanding of how this stuff works, I do think that's exactly the concept of mayhem13's suggestion to me.

I'm used to seeing everything in old-school terms, and the computer will be just another input like we used to have tape decks, tuners, etc, so your DAC will be just the input to the preamp/receiver. It will be getting its 'bits' through the network connection, and won't care what room the bits are stored in. I too perceived mayhem13's thoughts to say the powerline adaptors would not be a degradation of quality, certainly not to the extent that trying to send it wirelessly would be.

Gary, I'm sure its possible, since the sonos/heos type systems differentiate easily within their apps, but again, I couldn't begin to say exactly how you'd set it up...

Given my VERY limited understanding of how this stuff works, I do think that's exactly the concept of mayhem13's suggestion to me.

I'm used to seeing everything in old-school terms, and the computer will be just another input like we used to have tape decks, tuners, etc, so your DAC will be just the input to the preamp/receiver. It will be getting its 'bits' through the network connection, and won't care what room the bits are stored in. I too perceived mayhem13's thoughts to say the powerline adaptors would not be a degradation of quality, certainly not to the extent that trying to send it wirelessly would be.

Gary, I'm sure its possible, since the sonos/heos type systems differentiate easily within their apps, but again, I couldn't begin to say exactly how you'd set it up...

This was actually solved TODAY by Sceptic:) I had to create another thread and leave out "powerline". It just confused the real issue: streaming to different locations over a wired network - ANY wired network. Here's Skeptic's design:

Main Audio System

The "main" audio system is no longer an issue because the networked PC will be relocated next to it for direct connection via external DAC.

Minor Audio Systems

Each of the 3 mini-systems will use an AirPort Express ($100 X 3) to connect directly to the audio system via RCA (The Airport Express has a very capable built-in DAC rated here). A Mac app called Airfoil ($25 X 1 - one controls all systems) will be required to command the Airport Express units, and an iPad with the Mac app "JRemote" will control JRiver Media Center. In my configuration, music will be streamed to all minor locations simultaneously, and I'll simply power up whichever system I wish to listen to. For more details, read the thread here.

Best luck with yours.

Gary