IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline

I've just started my Pipeline build. For anyone else doing the same, nowhere have I seen mentioned that in addition to the FC10 case you need to purchase the HT4 Thermal Riser to ensure that the heat pipes can rise above the RAM boards to connect to the heat sink.

From CA review:

'Case options for the Pipeline server were very limited because I wanted the server to look like an A/V component. One of the only cases that fits the size and versatility requirements is the Streacom FC10 ($330). This is a “full” size chassis without a single fan. In order to run the server fanless users must purchase the Streacom ST-HT4 CPU Cooler Riser ($30) and Streacom ST-LH4 Pipes ($25) that extend further out over the motherboard than the included heat pipes. Working on a server in this case, compared to the small CAPS cases, is akin to working on an old American automobile when there was enough room under the hood for a person to stand next to the engine.'

Full text:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/612-computer-audiophile-pocket-server-c-p-s-v4-pipeline/

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

From CA review:

This is a “full” size chassis without a single fan. In order to run the server fanless users must purchase the Streacom ST-HT4 CPU Cooler Riser ($30) and Streacom ST-LH4 Pipes ($25) that extend further out over the motherboard than the included heat pipes.'

In YO face! Gac, gac, gac, gahhh! (Dave Chappelle)

Kidding. I actually got the riser, but forgot the LH4 extended pipes... Didn't notice until I was installing them and was 3cm short... On to the internet I went :~P Had to get new thermal paste too as I'd used too much of it up

Having put together already 3 Pipeline servers, I strongly advise to buy at least 2 more thermal paste tubes before starting the build. IMO the amount provided with the parts is not sufficient.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

• 2 weeks later...

Hullo:

At this stage I am pondering future server options for my home audio system. I am beginning to think about moving on at some point from my MacMini 2010 SSD/Amarra/Berkeley USB server over the next 6-12 months. I Basically only playback 16/44 files from my CDs but would like eventually to do more streaming with TIDAL/QOBUZ or something. My goal is best SQ in my two-channel set up first, ease of use second, and cost is not unimportant of course. I have experience with QOBUZ streaming but find I don't use it as much because of loss of SQ so I am giving it up for now.

Here are the options I have thought of so far:

1. one of the CA CAPS options, perhaps this one (V4) which seems to be the top one as best I can tell

2. stay with my MacMini adding in Uptone's fan control and Linear Power Supply JS-2 (I already use their Regen which is wonderful, even more so when I stick a Synergistic ECT on top).

3. Raspberry Pi-2 with Moode software for MPD (as described on Part-Time Audiophile), with JS-2 or another good LPS. I like this low cost quasi-DIY idea at least in theory as it would allow me to experiment with higher quality parts and adjustments/tweaks over time.

4. Sonore Signature Rendu (expensive, recommended by someone who should know, but haven't done any research myself)

5. Auralic Aries (more affordable than Sonore, but according to PTA not necessarily better than the RPI-2)

Would appreciate any ideas/pointers that any of you might suggest about the choices I am already thinking of, or of course about other things not yet on my radar.

Thanks in advance...

hltf

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a way to get the server to boot faster without the lengthy POST and beeping?

I've think I've gone through the BIOS settings a couple of times but nothing stands out.

Quiet boot looks to refer to just the POST messages and the motherboard still beeps. I'd like a Fast Boot option but I don't see it.

Thanks.

Has anyone found a way to get the server to boot faster without the lengthy POST and beeping?

I've think I've gone through the BIOS settings a couple of times but nothing stands out.

Quiet boot looks to refer to just the POST messages and the motherboard still beeps. I'd like a Fast Boot option but I don't see it.

Thanks.

I've just got my Pipeline up-and-running and I'd be interested in that too.

Only doing OS updates so far and the Intel Xeon E3-1241 v3 has peaked at 56°C.

The HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply gets quite warm but from earlier posts that's to be expected.

Hullo:

At this stage I am pondering future server options for my home audio system. I am beginning to think about moving on at some point from my MacMini 2010 SSD/Amarra/Berkeley USB server over the next 6-12 months. I Basically only playback 16/44 files from my CDs but would like eventually to do more streaming with TIDAL/QOBUZ or something. My goal is best SQ in my two-channel set up first, ease of use second, and cost is not unimportant of course. I have experience with QOBUZ streaming but find I don't use it as much because of loss of SQ so I am giving it up for now.

Here are the options I have thought of so far:

1. one of the CA CAPS options, perhaps this one (V4) which seems to be the top one as best I can tell

2. stay with my MacMini adding in Uptone's fan control and Linear Power Supply JS-2 (I already use their Regen which is wonderful, even more so when I stick a Synergistic ECT on top).

3. Raspberry Pi-2 with Moode software for MPD (as described on Part-Time Audiophile), with JS-2 or another good LPS. I like this low cost quasi-DIY idea at least in theory as it would allow me to experiment with higher quality parts and adjustments/tweaks over time.

4. Sonore Signature Rendu (expensive, recommended by someone who should know, but haven't done any research myself)

5. Auralic Aries (more affordable than Sonore, but according to PTA not necessarily better than the RPI-2)

Would appreciate any ideas/pointers that any of you might suggest about the choices I am already thinking of, or of course about other things not yet on my radar.

Thanks in advance...

If you are just playing back music files, and not doing DSP, Room Correction, or upsampling on the fly, you don't need a high powered computer. One of the simpler CAPS v4 devices will be fine.

You should also look up the micro Rendu due out sometime next year. Might be just what you need, for less.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

So I've almost finished this build.

The case comes with a USB cable that fits onto the motherboard at header USB 0 and splits into two USB 3.0 Type A connectors that are on either side of the case.

I have tried two different cables, but with either one, only one of the two connectors will function.

Anyone else had this problem? Am I missing a jumper that needs to be set. Is the SuperMicro motherboard incompatible with the cable supplied with the Streacom FC10Alpha case?

I would have thought this would have been discussed elsewhere, but I cannot find any prior posting.

Thanks.

So I've almost finished this build.

The case comes with a USB cable that fits onto the motherboard at header USB 0 and splits into two USB 3.0 Type A connectors that are on either side of the case.

I have tried two different cables, but with either one, only one of the two connectors will function.

Anyone else had this problem? Am I missing a jumper that needs to be set. Is the SuperMicro motherboard incompatible with the cable supplied with the Streacom FC10Alpha case?

I would have thought this would have been discussed elsewhere, but I cannot find any prior posting.

Thanks.

OK, answered my own question. The SuperMicro motherboard X10SLH-F only supports one USB 3.0 on its front accessible Type A connector. So in spite of having the "splitter cable" supplied by Streacom, only one port will function.

If you are just playing back music files, and not doing DSP, Room Correction, or upsampling on the fly, you don't need a high powered computer. One of the simpler CAPS v4 devices will be fine.

You should also look up the micro Rendu due out sometime next year. Might be just what you need, for less.

Thanks, that makes sense. I realize now I might want to do some kind of room correction. So your comment was helpful for me.

hltf

• 1 month later...

I've just completed my Pipeline. I'm currently accessing it remotely using Windows Remote Desktop, logging in as an Admin user.

Neither dbPowerAmp nor JRiver will recognise the DVD drive unless I start them as Administrator. JRiver won't play files unless I run it as Administrator.

Worse still, when I log in remotely my Juli@ DAC card is not recognised as a Playback device.

Has anyone else run into these problems and developed a solution please?

Thanks!

Managed to solve the problems myself! When using Remote Desktop 2 things are needed:

1. Tell Remote Desktop to play audio on the remote computer

In the Remote Desktop window click Show Options and display the Local Resources tab.

In the Remote audio area click Settings and select Play on remote computer.

2. Allow Remote Desktop access to the remote Optical Drive.

Start the Group Policy editor as Administrator. Either from Start type gpedit.msc into the search dialog and select "Run as Administrator" or open a command prompt as Administrator and type in gpedit.msc.

Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > ‘System’ > Removable Storage Access then look for "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions" and set to Enable.

Has anyone had any cooling/over heating issues using the Xeon 80W TDP CPU (with the FC-10 case)?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

None so far. The heat sink to which the heat pipes are connected gets slightly warm to the touch but that's it.

That is good to hear. I would prefer to use the 25W TDP version but it is impossible to find. If I can't find one I will go with the one Chris suggested.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 3 weeks later...
I was shocked today on reading Music in the Round #68 Page 2 | Stereophile.com, finding out that the CAPS 4 was sold under an own brand Baetis Audio XR2 Media Server . It's obvious that these guys just helped themselves into the CAPS 4 specification.

They did not seem to cite the source, which is here. Really unfair for Chris

Not really sure how you got to that conclusion. It isn't exactly the same as a CAPS specification. There are many similar fanless servers being sold by other vendors. Maybe they should be complaining that Chris stole their specification :).

And in any case the big selling point of the Baetis PCs is the proprietary SPDIF outlet they build into each unit, and the personal live/online support they give buyers. Otherwise they are very similar to fanless PCs available elsewhere.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

And in any case the big selling point of the Baetis PCs is the proprietary SPDIF outlet they build into each unit, and the personal live/online support they give buyers. Otherwise they are very similar to fanless PCs available elsewhere.
Let me add that the Baetis is not fanless. It has a large, slow-speed fan in addition to the expected cooling mechanisms. It is still inaudible.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

The Baetis is quite different as I see it, they are providing a 2 channel audio plus video home theater PC whereas Chris's Pipeline is strictly audio no video. Also Baetis has always promoted SPDIF over USB whereas Pipeline is optimized for USB as mentioned earlier. Finally Baetis offers CD and Bluray ripping hardware support, and user support for the supplied software so normal people can make sense of the computer audio way of doing things.