IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline

Dear nu,

IT is my profession, I know what you are talking about. Nevertheless, Chris makes a statement with this Pipeline - and finally, a customer can be really happy with this "streamer" for the next years.

Chris will release solution No 3 and 4, they will be cheaper, I think. ;)

Hi EuroChamp,

i don't care about money ? i compared dual with quadcores and never find a difference between them. I'm asking me what can i Xeon better Do than a normal Intel i5?

i only found differences between linear and switching power supplys.

greetings

nu

I never compared a XEON with an i5 or i7 in terms of SQ. And of course you are right, you won't here a difference.

But:

Chris uses a server board together with an onboard RAC card, I think it is a welcome add on. No RDP, VNC, .. running on the system, this lowers the number of prozesses running. And you can turn off / on the system and even do a bios upgrade without a monitor! I welcome this for a headless system.

Second: The platform is certified for WS2012. Chris uses Win8 "only" :(

Bernhard

Obviously one needs a network interface to use JRemote and remote access. So my question is: if you are going to have all music stored locally and the network interface is only used for remote access, is it better from an electrical and/or radio frequency noise perspective (and therefore SQ) to have:

A: a wired network but no Ethernet isolators and normal quality Ethernet cable (ie nothing like the JCAT Ethernet cable); or

B: a wireless network card?

Awesome, this is pretty much where most fringe/cutting edge users had made it to over the past year component wise. Us users are also employing Windows Server 2012 R2 in Core mode, Audiophile Optimizer to trim it down, and then Jplay along with the JRiver stuff.

Although the software is pared down a little, I'm really happy to see those components going mainstream in CAPS. It means that a lot more users will try them out now and beneficial deviations are more likely to pop up.

Though the Group Buys are now closed, an alternative to the HD Plex combination is the Teradak Linear ATX PSU. Our units will hopefully arrive in early January, then we'll get some feedback about another Linear PSU. If you read the Group Buy thread or the original Teradak ATX PSU thread, the rational behind the Teradak vs. the HD Plex approach was compared.

Anyway, great work Chris. Hopefully I'll be setting up a Cortes Server in about 6-7 months from now and then everything will be perfect. Ha...

Hello,

this CAPS sounds great!

I have 3 questions:

- to reduce TDP and running H24, which CPU with low power consumption would be a good choice against Xeon E3 80W? I saw Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1220L v3 (4M Cache, 1.10 GHz) with only 13W :)

- to get SPDIF output, what is the best choice for internal audio card which fits the motherboard regardless price?

- Is it better to use HDD 3.5 vs HDD 2.5 for storing audio files? Best is SSD i guess but pricey

Thanks

Fabien

To get SPDIF you are probably better suited adding a USB to SPDIF converter. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/what-are-new-asynch-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-converter-contenders-2014-a-22459/ may be helpful.

If you insist on an internal card RME HDSOe AIO card is one option and ESi Juli@ XT another.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris,

In considering the theory that the less resource intensive a server, the better.

And also considering that you've posted on the Beagle Bone Black (BBB), do you have a sound quality preference between that device and the Pipeline server you've written about?

I'd have to believe, for the cost, that the Pipeline server is sonically preferable, but I'd prefer not to assume.

What do you say?

All the best,

Joel

To get SPDIF you are probably better suited adding a USB to SPDIF converter. http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/what-are-new-asynch-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-converter-contenders-2014-a-22459/ may be helpful.

If you insist on an internal card RME HDSOe AIO card is one option and ESi Juli@ XT another.

Eloise

Good ones, and not to forget the golden oldie, the Lynx card.

Good ones, and not to forget the golden oldie, the Lynx card.

I was thinking the AES16e wasn't very appropriate ... but I see there is a new Lynx E22 which would be perfect (in terms of functionality).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Here is a (bad) shot of it right now in my test lab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15722[/ATTACH]

Chris, did you have to trim the upper heatpipe that extends to the front of the chassis ? I'm just putting the server together, and said heatpipe colides with the movable HDD shelf (upper heatpipe is to long).

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Chris, did you have to trim the upper heatpipe that extends to the front of the chassis ? I'm just putting the server together, and said heatpipe colides with the movable HDD shelf (upper heatpipe is to long).

You can't trim the pipes unless you've got something to re-crimp them during trimming. The internal coolant will escape as soon as you puncture the shaft, if you just clip them.

I also didn't run into this problem, and I've got 2 of these. Could you some how have them installed incorrectly? What do you mean by collides? Like in what way? picture?

Thanks for the article and all the research you put into this Chris.

I decided it was time to build a new CAPS and I used this as a guide. I found a tyan server motherboard with nearly identical specs to the supermicro that has the ram underneath the processor instead of next to it so i'm able to use a much cheaper hd-plex case that includes the heatpipes and doesn't sell the cooling parts separately. Also not having the ram between the cpu and case means no obstruction for the heatpipes and no pricey riser for the heatpipes.

I have some confusion about how to use this in addition to the Cortes. I built the last iteration of this Caps sever and use it currently. Am very happy with it, thank your for the work you did to come up with the specs. You state you are running Windows with Jriver on the Cortes. You are running JRiver on this Pipleline Server as well. This has me confused. Which version of these multiple Jriver controls everything?

I understand your arguments of the benefit of the Cortes over traditional nas.

What is confusing me is your discussion of having Jriver on the Cortes machine with the music along with another instance running on the Pipeline which connects to the DAC. What I don't grasp is which instance of JRiver do I use? I don't want multiple instances of playlists etc... I do not understand how to integrate all of it.

Hope my question makes sense.

I don't think it is necessarily a case of and...and. You could run only the server or only the audio PC. And you could also run a hybrid whereby you run the server without JRiver installed on it. In terms of play lists, I guess (but have not tried) to have multiple instances of JRiver pointing towards the same network location where they are stored. Or you could have (as part of the nightly backup) a synchronisation routine running that copies the various play lists to all locations. Also, don't think of this as being used only by one person. Your children might stream TV using the JRiver on the server, while you listen to music via the Pipeline in a separate room. These designs are templates and you can taylor them to your needs.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

That Tyan S5533 mini itx does seem like good alternative mobo for those seeking smaller size but similar options. At first glance it does not seem to sort the FC5 heatpipe issue, since it has a power reg heatsink and the ATX power socket in the way...

Speaking of power regulation, is that iron choke on that Supermicro a bit silly on a server board, or am I uninformed/incorrect that ferrites are better and should be expected.. (especialy for server boards).

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Looks like a yes:

Chris Connaker CAPS Computer Audiophile

On the ssd, I hope Small Green intends to use the Samsung 850 Pro, not the 840 Pro.

A very rough estimate of what it would cost me to build this myself came to @ $2,200.00, but I need to check it more closely.

Thanks Chris and Small Green Computer. And JRiver for sponsorship

Yes we are building the CAPS pipeline and yes we use the exact parts listed in the spec including the Samsung 850 Pro.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

The supermicro board only has PCI express slots, no regular PCI. You unfortunately cannot use that card.

My bad..... I was referring to the SOtM PCIe board which I believe uses the PCIe x1 interface. I'm liking for a suitable riser card for that board to interface with the SuperMicro mobo.

Phil

That Tyan S5533 mini itx does seem like good alternative mobo for those seeking smaller size but similar options. At first glance it does not seem to sort the FC5 heatpipe issue, since it has a power reg heatsink and the ATX power socket in the way...

That s5533 isn't the board I was referring to, the one I bouhgt is the s5535, there is two versions, the one ending in HE is the server board that takes ECC RAM.

My bad..... I was referring to the SOtM PCIe board which I believe uses the PCIe x1 interface. I'm liking for a suitable riser card for that board to interface with the SuperMicro mobo.

Phil

I think any riser card should do. And you can always go for a soft riser (cable) to make the connection.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948