IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline

I have some confusion about how to use this in addition to the Cortes. I built the last iteration of this Caps sever and use it currently. Am very happy with it, thank your for the work you did to come up with the specs. You state you are running Windows with Jriver on the Cortes. You are running JRiver on this Pipleline Server as well. This has me confused. Which version of these multiple Jriver controls everything?

I understand your arguments of the benefit of the Cortes over traditional nas.

What is confusing me is your discussion of having Jriver on the Cortes machine with the music along with another instance running on the Pipeline which connects to the DAC. What I don't grasp is which instance of JRiver do I use? I don't want multiple instances of playlists etc... I do not understand how to integrate all of it.

Hope my question makes sense.

Chris-

This looks like a great user friendly configuration for an audio PC. I think the "headless" feature will be very convenient for a lot of us.

Did you try using the server with both internal and external drives for the music library? Any difference in SQ under the 2 scenarios? If you didn't try an internal drive, have you made this comparison in the past?

Have you compared the sound using the linear supply to the Black Lightning you used on the V3 (even switching them out on the V3)? I know you were wowed by the difference the BL made on the V3, just wonder if this linear supply yields similar results.

Thanks again

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I have some confusion about how to use this in addition to the Cortes. I built the last iteration of this Caps sever and use it currently. Am very happy with it, thank your for the work you did to come up with the specs. You state you are running Windows with Jriver on the Cortes. You are running JRiver on this Pipleline Server as well. This has me confused. Which version of these multiple Jriver controls everything?

I understand your arguments of the benefit of the Cortes over traditional nas.

What is confusing me is your discussion of having Jriver on the Cortes machine with the music along with another instance running on the Pipeline which connects to the DAC. What I don't grasp is which instance of JRiver do I use? I don't want multiple instances of playlists etc... I do not understand how to integrate all of it.

Hope my question makes sense.

+1 same question

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

...and there is the front-end machine, very nice and well done as well! :-) And yet another mainboard with native Windows Server 2012/R2 support, fantastic!

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Dear Chris,

congrats to this 4th iteration of a top of the line CAPS. There is really some interesting input for me. For me, the highlight is the KVM port in combination with the CAPS!

Could you share a photo of the open case for a look inside? :)

Bernhard

Here is a (bad) shot of it right now in my test lab.

IMG_0163.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great stuff, Chris.

Can't wait to tear into the details of your article.

In the meantime, is there a preference between going USB out of a USB card or if your DAC has an XLR input or would it make more sense to output from a quality card with an XLR output straight to the DAC?

If XLR is a better option for such DAC's, which card(s) would be recommended as the best?

Thanks,

Joel

Hi Chris, This looks great. Would this design support a local touch screen monitor (like a Dell for example) for local, at the rack, control in addition to remote control? Also, will Small Green Computers be building this new series of CAPS v4 designs? Thanks for your efforts on this project. Best, Bob

Looks great Chris!

Bob, Small Green Computer will be building the C.A.P.S v4 Pipeline for anybody who want's a prebuilt unit.

http://shop.smallgreencomputer.com/CAPS-v4-Pipeline-CAPS4-pipeline.htm

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Hi Chris, This looks great. Would this design support a local touch screen monitor (like a Dell for example) for local, at the rack, control in addition to remote control? Also, will Small Green Computers be building this new series of CAPS v4 designs? Thanks for your efforts on this project. Best, Bob

Looks like a yes:

Chris Connaker CAPS Computer Audiophile

On the ssd, I hope Small Green intends to use the Samsung 850 Pro, not the 840 Pro.

A very rough estimate of what it would cost me to build this myself came to @ $2,200.00, but I need to check it more closely.

Thanks Chris and Small Green Computer. And JRiver for sponsorship

I appreciate the focus on achieving the best audiophile result, and great sound is also my main aim, however I would like the flexibility of running video as well. For me, this doesn't require a lot of processing power but must be able to pass thru HDMI or similar. It appears the Supermicro board has only VGA output and limited options to add a video card.

Is there an alternative board that someone could suggest?

Dave

NAS would most likely still be required...right?

Yes for the file storage; unless you add internal drives as Chris suggested.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

congratulations for the new C.A.P.S. v4 Pipeline. I have a question on the case: I already have a case streacom model FC 5 WS. Can I use this to build the server?

thanks

You should be able to use the FC5WS case - you'd need to check the heat pipes can be adapted. One limitation is that there is only a single slot accessible in the FC5WS.

Others can express an opinion but I'm unsure if there would be any advantage in "upgrading" to the CAPSv4 Pipeline if you currently have a Zuma.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hello Chris:

Congrats on the new Pipeline!

I own a C.A.P.S. Carbon music server with optional SOtm3 USB Card and Red Wine Audio Black Lightning battery power supply, running W8.1 32-bit and JRiver-19.

I care ONLY about SQ playing PCM & DSD files with no up-sampling or room correction.

Putting all features and capabilities of the new Pipeline aside, do you know for a fact or is it your opinion that Pipeline does or should SOUND BETTER than what I currently have?

In addition, why did you choose to use W8.1 Pro 64-bit instead of the (claimed superior) Windows 2012 Server OS?

And finally, have you evaluated "Audiophile Optimizer" with Windows 2012 Server or another Windows OS?

Many Thanks In Advance!

This is great!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

They are using the 840 Pro, but I'm sure they would build one with the 850 if you ask

Looks like a yes:

Chris Connaker CAPS Computer Audiophile

On the ssd, I hope Small Green intends to use the Samsung 850 Pro, not the 840 Pro.

A very rough estimate of what it would cost me to build this myself came to @ $2,200.00, but I need to check it more closely.

Thanks Chris and Small Green Computer. And JRiver for sponsorship

Chris-

Any SQ advantage one way or the other? I'm sure there are Zuma owners who'd like to know/

I found USB 3.0 ports a nuisance and pain for DACs (and some portable drives).

If the new CAPS owner decides to do away with the SOTM board, there's enough room in the case to add a $120 four port USB 2.0 (even with FW combo) board to maintain compatibility with a lot of DACs out there. Quite a few have connectors for a separate PSU, which you you need to anyway if you hang a few loads off the board.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA