IGNORED

Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB

Does anyone here own one of these? I need a portable 2TB drive and this one seems small enough and pretty reasonable price wise.

Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0 (Black) STDR2000100: Computers & Accessories

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I don't have one of those but I have several of the WD My Passport Ultra drives and I am pretty happy with them:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Ultra-Portable-External-Backup/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1417745257&sr=1-1&keywords=wd+passport+2tb

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I have a few. They seem to be ok if you don't drop them. With any el cheapo drive, keep 2 copies, preferably on different continents.

Thanks. Yes, I'm just going to use it for mobile music which is stored on my NAS.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I have the 1.5 TB Seagate and it is at least as reliable as the WD 2 TB drives I also own. The Seagate is also much thinner but not sure about the 2 TB thickness.

Note that Seagate now has a 4 TB small, portable drive. It is slightly thicker than the WD 2 TB drives (1/4 to 3/8") and heavier..but 4 TB!

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

I have the 1.5 TB Seagate and it is at least as reliable as the WD 2 TB drives I also own. The Seagate is also much thinner but not sure about the 2 TB thickness.

Note that Seagate now has a 4 TB small, portable drive. It is slightly thicker than the WD 2 TB drives (1/4 to 3/8") and heavier..but 4 TB!

I really don't need 4TB for the one folder that I'm going to put on it and I really want the small physical size.

Thanks for the heads up though.

For travelling I've found the LaCie "rugged" range worth while ... have dropped a few and never caused drive crashes (though perhaps I'm just lucky).

Slightly higher cost than "standard" Seagate and WD external portable drives but maybe worth it.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I have recently bought a couple of these 2.5 inch Seagate Slims for back-up use. The drive case is surprising cool to the touch after very large file transfers. I took one out of the drive enclosure to place in a firewire enclosure (lots of Youtube vids on this process) to find the drive is actually a Samsung.

Is ironic that to purchase the drive alone, without an enclosure, is more costly that the Seagate in the enclosure. Thinking of getting a few more and building a NAS of 2.5 inch drives with a Synology DS414 Slim.

Warren

I have recently bought a couple of these 2.5 inch Seagate Slims for back-up use. The drive case is surprising cool to the touch after very large file transfers. I took one out of the drive enclosure to place in a firewire enclosure (lots of Youtube vids on this process) to find the drive is actually a Samsung.

Seagate bought Samsung's HDD business a few years back:

Seagate Completes Acquisition of Samsung’s Hard Disk Drive Business | Seagate

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull