IGNORED

Is Tidal too expensive?

I also cancelled my subscription. I might have continued if I didn't already have over 70,000 songs in my collection already. So much music, so little time...

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I also cancelled my subscription. I might have continued if I didn't already have over 70,000 songs in my collection already. So much music, so little time...

That's the issue, isn't it. If you expect to be buying a lot of new music in the future, TIDAL is a great alternative to buying CDs or downloads. Unlike Spotify which only offers MP3, Tidal currently offers CD quality and intends to offer hi res streaming in the future.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

That's the issue, isn't it. If you expect to be buying a lot of new music in the future, TIDAL is a great alternative to buying CDs or downloads. Unlike Spotify which only offers MP3, Tidal currently offers CD quality and intends to offer hi res streaming in the future.

The other issue for me is that I like to own things, even if it's just a download. Not really into renting my music.

Get soundflower and Audacity and make a backup.

I still have a few songs "backed up" on my iPhone as offline content. I just need to make sure data and Wifi are off whenever I start the Tidal app as I'm sure they will disappear once the app is able to call home.

Count me in too as too spendy. I did like the service and quality, I just don't feel like paying $20/mos...times are tough.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

absolutely not too expensive, yeah I'd rather it be 10 or 15 per month but $20 feels fair. I buy on average $100 plus a month of music. Of the CDs I buy 70-80% I probably listen to them once or twice. Tidal gives me great access to a much wider library that I own and I have 2 TB of AIFF plus another 1TB of FLAC. It will absolutely reduce cd clutter while giving me better access to more music.

So far I am a fan

the public is being pecked to death by sparrows, $10 subscription here and $20 there, everything from extra high tier cable TV, movie and music streaming services, computer software, websites, there has to be a saturation point somewhere, people will eventually stop

I agree with this . People are getting subscription fatigue . I know I am . I see an app with monthly sub , I avoid it . I'm not talking music services here . It seems everyone wants to be sub based . Why ? Cause they can sit back and do nothing and watch the money roll in .

Quick update. I have been listening to Tidal offline content on my phone for a few weeks after canceling my subscription. I got a message today saying the offline content had expired and I needed to login. Deleted the Tidal app and downloaded songs from my phone.

I also think it is a bit too high, debut I like it so far.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I'm fine with the price now that I have it playing through an Auralic Aries. When I had it via JRiver on my CAPS it was too unwieldy to enjoy and while my iPhone was nice, I had to AirPlay it to my second system and never really enjoyed that much. The interface with the Aires looks and feels just like my music library.

Examples in my "favorites" albums that I would have purchased this month are: Avonmore by Bryan Ferry, Barragn by Blonde Redhead, Classics by She & Him, Stoked On You by The Aquadolls, Guitar in the Space Age by Bill Frisell, and Elliott Smith by Elliot Smith. That is five "new" albums and one "old" album. I'd put the value at that well above $60.

I just need to average two "new" albums, or four "used" albums, or a combo such as one "new" and two "used" albums) saved per month. I think we can track that pretty easily and I've got three months worth this month alone.

Factor the added value of the iPhone app for travel and it is a simple call. I'm getting my money's worth easily.

And I'm finding new music that I would never have found otherwise. The better your home interface, the more you value the service, at least for me. The iPhone is a bonus.

John

P.S. I've added Doolittle 25 (B-Sides, Peel Sessions, and Demos) released 11/30/14 to my favorites while I was typing this: another "new" album added in the first two weeks of the the month.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I'm fine with the price now that I have it playing through an Auralic Aries. When I had it via JRiver on my CAPS it was too unwieldy to enjoy and while my iPhone was nice, I had to AirPlay it to my second system and never really enjoyed that much. The interface with the Aires looks and feels just like my music library.

Examples in my "favorites" albums that I would have purchased this month are: Avonmore by Bryan Ferry, Barragn by Blonde Redhead, Classics by She & Him, Stoked On You by The Aquadolls, Guitar in the Space Age by Bill Frisell, and Elliott Smith by Elliot Smith. That is five "new" albums and one "old" album. I'd put the value at that well above $60.

I just need to average two "new" albums, or four "used" albums, or a combo such as one "new" and two "used" albums) saved per month. I think we can track that pretty easily and I've got three months worth this month alone.

Factor the added value of the iPhone app for travel and it is a simple call. I'm getting my money's worth easily.

And I'm finding new music that I would never have found otherwise. The better your home interface, the more you value the service, at least for me. The iPhone is a bonus.

John

P.S. I've added Doolittle 25 (B-Sides, Peel Sessions, and Demos) released 11/30/14 to my favorites while I was typing this: another "new" album added in the first two weeks of the the month.

I do not have this service yet. $20 is high for me but I am becoming a fan of hi-res music and regretting the choice of ripping 200+ cds in MP3. I can see the argument of access to music that I would not have as well as have better access to the music that I had or have. Say for example, I just bought Steeltown, a Big country album from iTunes and the Tidal version sounds so much better. I am leaning towards subscribing it. I do have Amazon Prime and also use Google Music for cloud storage for music. So at this point, leaning towards shelling out $240/year for this service.

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

not too expensive

Qobuz is 19.99 EUROS/month

the sound quality soundstage separation especially when either TIDAL or Qubuz are played through Amarra sQ ver2.0 out to a DAC is extraordinary far better than pandora,spotify or beats music

but IMHO the bottom line is the Amarra sQ ver2.0 it also improves SIRIUS substantially especially celtic crush and idiots delight

I don't buy cd's or download hirez so I listen to my 800+ cd's on itunes/jriver but spend most of my time on one the 'lossless' streamers

I still prefer to buy a lot of music and use Beats to preview albums. $10/month feels like the sweet spot for me to be able to preview albums I might buy or listen to the occasional track that I have no intention of buying. I attended a Halloween party and the host had a Sonos system, so I was able to build a Halloween playlist on the fly using people's suggestions at the party. Pretty cool.

I hope Apple doesn't kill the golden goose with whatever they are planning next year.

Tidal is too expensive if you spent most of this evening like I did listening to dropouts ,skips and pops

on the Mac desktop app or the web player . and that's with very strong internet speed

150/20 Mbps .

Until they fix this I will not be a long time subscriber

Also the download speed sometimes slows to a complete crawl .

There is a lot of work to be done with this service .