IGNORED

Gustard U12

Hi there!! I am having problems with sound sistme... I have a Mac mini i7, I have a GUSTARD U12 and a MUSICAL FIDELITY V90-DAC... and I can not connect them both!!! can some body help!! I am using a USB from my Mac in to the GUSTARD... then an OPTICAL CABLE to my DAC and there is no signal. Not on the GUSTARD! and my mac does no recognizes USB output... but if I connect my Mac direct to the DAC every thing goes fin!! where are my connections wrong?? Are the connections Mac-USB-GUSTARD-OPTICAL-DAC-SOUND SISTEM?? Is the USB the only GUSTARD INPUT??? what's wrong??? please help!!

The Gustard is an asynch USB converter. An earlier contributor stated that its plug and play with Mac OSX. Use a different USB cable to see if its recognized then. It normally shows 4 lines after it initializes, and the data rate when its in use... it will not show anything until it successfully initializes. Since the V90 already has an asynch USB input it doesn't sound like you gain much by using the Gustard... its mostly for DAC's that don't have an asynch USB input.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi there!! I am having problems with sound sistme... I have a Mac mini i7, I have a GUSTARD U12 and a MUSICAL FIDELITY V90-DAC... and I can not connect them both!!! can some body help!! I am using a USB from my Mac in to the GUSTARD... then an OPTICAL CABLE to my DAC and there is no signal. Not on the GUSTARD! and my mac does no recognizes USB output... but if I connect my Mac direct to the DAC every thing goes fin!! where are my connections wrong?? Are the connections Mac-USB-GUSTARD-OPTICAL-DAC-SOUND SISTEM?? Is the USB the only GUSTARD INPUT??? what's wrong??? please help!!

Do you see a bunch of dashes on the display of the Gustard? If not, the unit hasn't been plugged in properly. Make sure to push the IEC in properly, as it is pretty tight.

If you do, then it means that the unit is plugged in, but is not getting a signal from the MAC.

If you see nymbers, like 44.1, then the Gustard is seeing the signal and there is something wrong between the Gustard and the DAC.

Hi again!! ...and thanks for your replys.

I have all ready change the USB cable, I used two... and a do se dashes on the GUSTARD sacreen. Could it be my connection the GUSTARD to the DAC? I am using an OPTIC cable... thanks again!!

I have the GUSTARD, so I will try to used... thanks!!

Hi again!! ...and thanks for your replys.

I have all ready change the USB cable, I used two... and a do se dashes on the GUSTARD sacreen. Could it be my connection the GUSTARD to the DAC? I am using an OPTIC cable... thanks again!!

I have the GUSTARD, so I will try to used... thanks!!

Given that you have used multiple USB cables. it's probably something to do with the signal from the Mac, or the MAc USB out is broken. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Mac's.

• 1 month later...

Someone commented that the Gustard U12 will not work with a data-only cable. This is correct. It uses the 5V on the USB line to power a relay (that's the only thing it powers), which is basically the power on/off. I didn't like this function so I simply wired around the relay so it's always on.

Director Mad Scientist Audio Ltd.

• 1 month later...
Someone commented that the Gustard U12 will not work with a data-only cable. This is correct.

It uses the 5V on the USB line to power a relay (that's the only thing it powers), which is basically the power on/off.

I didn't like this function so I simply wired around the relay so it's always on

Hi and sorry to jump in so late in this very interesting thread.

Having a U12 also myself i really would like to do this mod ... is it difficult ?

Thank you very much indeed

Kind regards, gino

It is a very simple fix, assuming you can use a soldering iron. See attached picture (add the link where it says Add This Link). What this actually does is short out the relay contacts that are normally energized when you plug in a powered USB cable, switching the U12 on the whole time that mains power is applied.

The silver stuff is EAR Isodamp SD40AL - ignore that (although it's highly recommended)

DSC00437.JPG

It is a very simple fix, assuming you can use a soldering iron. See attached picture (add the link where it says Add This Link). What this actually does is short out the relay contacts that are normally energized when you plug in a powered USB cable, switching the U12 on the whole time that mains power is applied.

Good morning !

Thank you very much indeed for your very kind and helpful advice.

Yes i have an iron and i will do it for sure. I wonder if there could be issue leaving the device on all the time, but i would be surprised. The consumption should be very low.

If i understand correctly in this way the U12 works also with a usb data only cable ?

The silver stuff is EAR Isodamp SD40AL - ignore that (although it's highly recommended)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25395[/ATTACH]

I guess that these pads are used for vibrations suppression ?

I am more concerned with the power supply quality in the U12.

From many reviews i read i have learnt that the quality of the power supply has a decisive impact on performance. It is important to keep the wideband noise very very low.

I see in this thread a guy using batteries. Good !

To end my ramblings i am still trying to understand the real potential of this unit.

I think it is quite good after some PS mods maybe.

Are you still using it or you have found something better ?

Thank you very much again for the very helpful advice.

Kind regards, gino

I leave mine on all the time, no issue at all. And yes, works with data-only cable after this.

I still use this device, find it very good. Only tweaks I've done are damping the case and circuit board with the EAR SD40AL

I leave mine on all the time, no issue at all. And yes, works with data-only cable after this.

I still use this device, find it very good. Only tweaks I've done are damping the case and circuit board with the EAR SD40AL

Thanks a lot again. Your words make me reconsider this unit more seriously.

Regards, gino

..... Only tweaks I've done are damping the case and circuit board with the EAR SD40AL ... ignore that (although it's highly recommended)

Only to add that this confirms my belief that mains transformers mounted rigidly on circuit boards are not a "sane" design choice.

I have seen them very often also on very high quality devices (like Schiit units) and honestly i do not understand why.

I am a believer in mechanically isolated and shielded transformers

I still think that electrical vibrations (ripple) and EMI are much much worse but also mechanical vibes are not beneficial at all.

And actually i am thinking very seriously to dismantle the existing toroidal and try an external EI transformers.

I am very curious to "listen" to this mod. It is a little unconvenient but it could be beneficial.

Thanks a lot again for the very helpful directions.

Kind regards, gino

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HELP!

I have been using a U12 with a microRendu successfully and decided to power the mR down the other day. The next day I powered it up and played a file, silence.

The U12 correctly reports the files rate, as does the downstream DAC; but, no sound. It is as though it is muted.

I loaded my laptop with the driver and tried to play a file via this alternate route - no sound.

If I replace the U12 with my bluray player, by plugging in the mR to the USB input and taking the coax output to my DAC, all works as expected; so I am satisfied that it is the U12 which is the issue.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thx,

M

• 4 months later...
Might also consider too: NewClassD UWB Regulator. Very easy mod, but jacks the price up $40.00.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16285[/ATTACH]

Believe it is the 5v model. Resistor already in place.

Can anybody please confirm that the NewClassD DX7805 +5v indeed does work as a substitute for the LM317D2T on the U12 (not the U10 which is already confirmed by Harpy in his thread).

It's the same regulator as this DEXA-70908 from partsconnexion.

• 2 months later...
Can anybody please confirm that the NewClassD DX7805 +5v indeed does work as a substitute for the LM317D2T on the U12 (not the U10 which is already confirmed by Harpy in his thread).

Im thinking doing the same mod on my Gustard u12, but before I do, I will do it to my Tascam UH-7000 as the power supply is outside main board including the linear regulator. I ordered the parts to replace the power supply with a linear one with a 12v linear regulator. just damn waiting time as these things I cant get locally, unless I salvage old cd players which I have thought of doing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2016 at 0:38 PM, SebastianL said:

I myself can confirm that the NewClassD DX7805 +5v indeed does work as a substitute for the LM317D2T on the U12. The DX7805 +5v works flawlessly although it's a bit tricky to fit into the box.

• 1 month later...

Today I received my U12. We have 230volt 50AC power here (Europe).

Is this unit by default set to 230volts? I've read the PCB and the switch state different positions for 230v and the switch was leading?

In a few hours I will go home from work. I hope someone can take away my doubt.

Thanks in advance!

Well, it was a bit of a gamble. At the back of the unit the 110v was erased with a marker. The unit works fine at 220v.

It is a digital signal path, but to me it sounded better than via de PC toslink output, but the could well be expectation bias. I find it very hard to come to any conclusion other than that it sounds very good.

Today my calibrated measurement microphone arrives, that will even enhance the sound even more.

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Does anyone know what DC voltage that can be applied to this GUSTARD U12 ?

I was thinking removing the AC, and use an Uptone LPS-1. 

Is this GUSTARD U12 quite similar to Singxer SU-1 ?

I haven't opened my Gustard yet. You can use a multimeter to probe the voltage required. I guess it would be around 12 volts, but take some measurements and you'll know for sure.

I've got a Gustard U12 recently and today I opened it up to see the components and to see if they sold me what they said was inside.

It should have TXCO clocks inside, but when opening up I saw that there are different clocks inside. They have a white sticker on them (cannot see what is inderneath). They state "ACCUSILICON AS318-B-491520 49.1520M" "ACCUSILICON AS318-B-451584 45.1584M".

Is this the real deal? Apart from that the inside looks very clean and well made.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 5:25 PM, Fairy said:

I've got a Gustard U12 recently and today I opened it up to see the components and to see if they sold me what they said was inside.

It should have TXCO clocks inside, but when opening up I saw that there are different clocks inside. They have a white sticker on them (cannot see what is inderneath). They state "ACCUSILICON AS318-B-491520 49.1520M" "ACCUSILICON AS318-B-451584 45.1584M".

Is this the real deal? Apart from that the inside looks very clean and well made.

This is okay. I have the same Accusilicon clocks in my model and they are high quality clocks. On par with NDKs.