IGNORED

Gustard U12

+1 Imitche

i use the same : minim on a Syno + sms100 on Keces, really good for the price and dead easy to use.

What i like very much with a simple nas with minim is that you can browse through your music files AND listen to the radio by creating a playlist in a very simple file you insert into the "music" folder in the nas. Radio through the nas is even better than through my pc (blacker background, more analogic). (i can explain if someone didn't know that a nas could help to listen to the radio, but I think it is well known)

rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

What drivers are the PC people using? Mine somehow got corrupted and after uninstalling them the XMOS driver disk say they are still installed and won't reload them. Really don't want to reload OS.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

+1 Imitche

i use the same : minim on a Syno + sms100 on Keces, really good for the price and dead easy to use.

What i like very much with a simple nas with minim is that you can browse through your music files AND listen to the radio by creating a playlist in a very simple file you insert into the "music" folder in the nas. Radio through the nas is even better than through my pc (blacker background, more analogic). (i can explain if someone didn't know that a nas could help to listen to the radio, but I think it is well known)

rgds

I have not tried the streaming radio functions of minimserver yet. Can you please point me to a cheat sheet? Thanks.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I was asking for a list of common mods earlier, minus the entire removal of the AC power system that Harpy has done. Feel free to add to it, it's just what I've found/am planning on.

Mods so far:

- Replace 45.1584MHz clock with Crystek - 957 (CCHD-957 45.158MHz)

- Replace 49.152MHz clock with Crystek (CCHD-957 49.152MHz)

- Shield clocks with Mu-metal or 3M AB5100/S (or both, if you've got 'em ;-) )

- Replace transformer with any CE, FCC, UL, etc. rated transformer. As long as there's more copper in it and it's rated, it should be fine. Transformers used on a previous Gustard - U10 upgrade were an Amgis/Alfamag or Talema unit.

- Shield transformer with copper, nickle or Mu-metal (or all 3, if you've got 'em ;-) )

- Replace PS(power supply) filter capacitors with caps like Panasonic FCs at 2200uf (I'm going to go a bit higher on capacitance)

- Replace the main rectifier filter caps with ones like the Nichicon FP Polymers (2x lower ESR)

- Replace SPDIF/AES pulse transformers with Murata DA101C; or ones like Newava S1122(very good feedback), Lundahl LL1572(used in Audio Note gear), or Scientific Conversion SC947-02(experienced users' best feedback)

- Shield XMOS and other chips with 3M AB5100/S

Interesting list. But you are talking about a week of work and $1000 worth of modding for a $100 device. Sounds like a lot of fun though and guess you can also use one of your new lps-es to provide stable power with a split usb cable ... just dont forget to report back

1. Crystek 957 45MHz - I was wrong, it's a 22.5792MHz - Anyway, Crystek of this one - $27

2. Crystek 957 49MHz - I was wrong, it's a 24.576MHz - Anyway, Crystek of this one - $27

3. Mu-metal & AB-5100(non-S) - already have and want to use on something. I have more than what I'll need for here.

4. New transformer - (Amgis, for example) $20; but let's say a more expensive one @ $50.

5. Copper, Mu-Metal, Nickle shilding - again, already have and want to use.

6. Panasonic FC or Nichicon KZ @ 3500uf(for example) - $5-7(for 2)

7. Scientific Conversion SC947-02 - $20

8. AB-5100(non-S) - you know it.

9. Murata - AC line filter choke - $2

So, total cost to me is about $130, exactly what I paid for the thing, and pretty much what I had spit-balled when I was thinking about it earlier. That might seem outlandish, but the issue is that the Gustard was just so cheap from the beginning. If it was more expensive then it would make those prices seem lower and more realistic. Haha, in looking at what I'm planning to do and change on the unit, imagine how much that would cost from a retailer or modder...

Like damn, I just finshed with that never ending nightmare, i mean funding, campaign of the Geek Pulse and modifications like that were like $100 a pop. But ahhh, I can't talk shiit too much. I'll be happy when I get my tricked out DAC+AMP from them for work :-D

Anyway, I bet if I geared this Gustard U12 thing up with those all mods it'd be and interesting little piece of gear to listen to. Like I had mentioned earlier, even if it doesn't sound that great, the construction of it feels very impressive and I loved it as soon as I picked it up.

I think it's not all that expensive for a fun little project. You're right about the amount of time though, I wish it would take a little shorter. I also hope I don't just f***ing drop it or something when I'm done and ruin all my work @_@

I'll definitely report in when it's all done; the months and months from now when that is :-P

Granted this is a U-10, but decided to ditched the Life battery and am using SOtMmBPS-d2s for battery management.

DSC_0389.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

Intel Thin-mini ITX

I have not tried the streaming radio functions of minimserver yet. Can you please point me to a cheat sheet? Thanks.

hi Imitche,

I just created that thread about this in the software part :

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/stream-radio-network-attached-storage-minimserver-23005/

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Sorry guys missed some things:

hi Harpy,

In your signature you mention you have a SOtM dx-USB-HD+reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Did you compare the sotm & your modded U10 ? sotm winner by far ?

Thanks

I like them both. The SOtM I use the Crystek clocks and Gus I use Vanguard TXOs now. I would say the SOtM is more neutral, but if you want to run a converter and pass 384 on a budget it's the only game in town.

The L1 could only do DSD over PCM (DoP) via its I2s output, and though I'm 90% certain I can't say for sure, I believe it's limited to DSD64.

I don't know. It can do 384khz 32 bit and I just loaded the U12 drivers on it (I think). Not having a DAC with an IIS port I run DSD 64 over SPDIF or AES3 sometimes. If there are major differences I would like to get the U-12 and move over the mods.

I'd be careful with batteries in this application.

Thanks, I had dropped it on the floor and broke it and figured I there wasn't much to loose. My electronics skills are basic at best.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

I like them both. The SOtM I use the Crystek clocks and Gus I use Vanguard TXOs now. I would say the SOtM is more neutral, but if you want to run a converter and pass 384 on a budget it's the only game in town.

You took out the Crysteks that you'd put in earlier? Why? What differences do you find between the original Gustard clocks, the Crysteks that you've moved over to the SOtM, and the Vanguards?

I don't know. It can do 384khz 32 bit and I just loaded the U12 drivers on it (I think). Not having a DAC with an IIS port I run DSD 64 over SPDIF or AES3 sometimes. If there are major differences I would like to get the U-12 and move over the mods.

You have a DAC that will take 32/384 over SPDIF and/or AES3? I am certain that SPDIF was limited to 24/192, and AES3 might be as well. Hmmm, I don't mean this in a doubting way, but I'd like to hear more about this. Since I've got the older L1 XMOS in my PWD Mkii I'd appreciate hearing how you've got your gear hooked up.

If I were going to look at more mods or continued modding, I'd look at moving to the newer U12 now with the new chip. In the end the older U10 with its L1 chip is limited in comparison of it's abilities.

No, poorly written. I can only manage DSD 64 over the SPDIF connection. Wish SPDIF had a higher bandwidth. If my DAC had an IIS input I could run at at that level.

Yea I may get the U12 then. Think most mods will transfer and there are some things would do differently.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Ben, yea the SOtM requires Tristate clocks and the Crystek are the only clocks I have that are Tristate. I wanted to get both units operational and try some TXO's in the Gus. I goofed the originals up when I removed them to put a sockets in. I don't mind them.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Might also consider too: NewClassD UWB Regulator. Very easy mod, but jacks the price up $40.00.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16285[/ATTACH]

Believe it is the 5v model. Resistor already in place.

I'm adding it to the list!

I didn't realize that this is the same mod that you did to your U10 until I got to the newclassd website. The other guy in your thread did something like this too, but he used a MUCH huger thing in a separate box? About the NCD UWB regulator though, lots of other people round the internets seem to be a fan of it.

It would be nice if there were a cheaper place to get one of their 5v(is it definitely a 5V unit that's needed?) UWB regulators, though. At ~$40 + shipping is does seem a little steep for such a small thing. On that note, how did you feel about it being in your U10?

No, poorly written. I can only manage DSD 64 over the SPDIF connection. Wish SPDIF had a higher bandwidth. If my DAC had an IIS input I could run at at that level.

Yea I may get the U12 then. Think most mods will transfer and there are some things would do differently.

What things would you do differently? Well, besides skipping over your DIY battery mod and going with the SOtM one you're running now.

Ben, yea the SOtM requires Tristate clocks and the Crystek are the only clocks I have that are Tristate. I wanted to get both units operational and try some TXO's in the Gus. I goofed the originals up when I removed them to put a sockets in. I don't mind them.

Ah, I see. When you switched the Crysteks out for the Vanguards, did you feel any difference or something noticeable? There's a thread over on head-fi.org about the U12 and one of those guys were saying that the XMOS chips don't care too much about clock changes due to the way they use them. So I'm just wondering about that.

(is it definitely a 5V unit that's needed?)
This what Fmak suggested. Yes it is the 5 volt one.

On that note, how did you feel about it being in your U10?
Someone had mentioned running a low noise battery was pointless without out a low noise regulator, so in went the regulator. Plus the blue led is cool. To be honest I don't know if my system has the resolution to be able to hear differences in regulators. Keep in mind I am running 60 year old amps on basically stock circuit except for ditching the quad cap.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

What things would you do differently? Well, besides skipping over your DIY battery mod and going with the SOtM one you're running now.

Sorry dude wrote 1 hour long dissertation and when I tried to post it went off into the ether. Get back to you on that.

Ah, I see. When you switched the Crysteks out for the Vanguards, did you feel any difference or something noticeable? There's a thread over on head-fi.org about the U12 and one of those guys were saying that the XMOS chips don't care too much about clock changes due to the way they use them. So I'm just wondering about that.

I have listened to the Vanguards a lot just recently and just think they are the Naz. Let them cook about 2 hours before listening. I was really biased against and really never thought of putting them in the Gus, and even dismissed what I heard as mood or something and actually tried some generic TXO's then put the SOtM back into the chain with Crysteks, but went back scrambling back to the Gus with Vanguards. Maybe they were built when the planets were aligned I dunno, but you wanted my opinion. I would encourage you to remove the clocks and put in sockets, so you try different combo's. The only bad thing are the PCB traces are pretty small and somewhat delicate, so be careful if you do.

Edit: It did say on the U-10 marketing literature that the circuit was designed for TXO's. I have no idea though.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Still having issues with the ASIO drivers. Kernel streaming and wasapi work. ASIO used to work, so it must something in the OS.

Final clock configure is Vanguard as the 22 clock and Crytek in the 24 slot.

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I see that the U12 has been used in concert with a Synology DiskStation, with a sotm SMS100 streamer in between the 2 devices. Does anyone know or could someone suggest whether or not the Gustard U12 could be connected directly to a Synology DS415+? While I've found a couple references to the U12 and linux (some say doesn't work, some say does), I've found nothing about connecting the U12 to the Diskstation's USB output. THANKS

Synology DS » Gustard U12 (on order) » Denon AVR-5700 (just getting started...)

• 2 months later...
I am not sure, but I thought it used the same XMOS. Can't find the U-10 specs, but I thought they just added the read out. As far as the mod goes I just ripped out most of the AC components and put four pin sockets in so I could move clocks in and out. The Crystek are surface mount, but there is a 4 pin adaptor board available. Since the circuit was designed for TXO's I sometimes use the Vanguard clocks. With the Life Battery the mod is around $100.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15981[/ATTACH]

Battery (3S2P) last forever on a charge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15983[/ATTACH]

Clocks and Dexa Voltage Regulator with the blue led.

Haven't had any issues and it sounds good.

Here is the thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ive-dropped-my-gustard-u-10-floor-and-it-doesnt-work-21180/

Edit: In this configuration it doesn't use any USB power and D+ D- 0 volt return will work.

Edit2: The CCHD957 clocks are from Digikey.

I would like to try a Ultra low noise 4700.

can I know what is the secondary output voltage of transformer and VA?

control PC : NUC 5ppyh, LPS

Audio PC : 2 x PPA V3 USB audio PC, HDPLEX LPS

USB SPDIF : Singxer F1

DAC : MSB Analog (dedicated power supply) with Quad rate USB

Power amp : AudioGD C1

Speaker : Dynaudio C1

Subwoofer : REL Stratus II

• 1 month later...

Hi i have one comment on the U12 and then a question.

The unit does not work with a usb data only cable.

So the U12 does not provide isolation from the pc and this is for me a flaw in the design in general.

A serious converter MUST provide power isolation from the pc.

Out of curiousity i tried and external usb power supply, the Teradak U9 i had at hand

much better separation and soundstage.

USB isolation is mandatory at least with my pc, of course.

Then the question about the power supply to the Gustard U12.

I was looking to this USB to SPDIF converter by Hong Audio

Hong Audio DDC 32bit 384K USB to SPDIF Converter with Separate Power Supply | eBay

it needs and external power supply ... visible here

$_57.JPG

to me this is a much better solution for small box units

(however i do not know it it also provides usb isolation but i think so)

You can power it also with an external battery pack.

I think that U12 power supply has two main issues:

1) no mains RF filter

2) toroidal transformer (i.e. poor filtering effect).

In the end my reference (and dream) will be always the out-of-this-world converter from Berkeley Audio

Just look at its power supply ... simply and well done

and ... no batteries

An extremely valuable food for thought.

Bye, gino

• 5 months later...
1. Crystek 957 45MHz - I was wrong, it's a 22.5792MHz - Anyway, Crystek of this one - $27

2. Crystek 957 49MHz - I was wrong, it's a 24.576MHz - Anyway, Crystek of this one - $27

3. Mu-metal & AB-5100(non-S) - already have and want to use on something. I have more than what I'll need for here.

4. New transformer - (Amgis, for example) $20; but let's say a more expensive one @ $50.

5. Copper, Mu-Metal, Nickle shilding - again, already have and want to use.

6. Panasonic FC or Nichicon KZ @ 3500uf(for example) - $5-7(for 2)

7. Scientific Conversion SC947-02 - $20

8. AB-5100(non-S) - you know it.

9. Murata - AC line filter choke - $2

So, total cost to me is about $130, exactly what I paid for the thing, and pretty much what I had spit-balled when I was thinking about it earlier. That might seem outlandish, but the issue is that the Gustard was just so cheap from the beginning. If it was more expensive then it would make those prices seem lower and more realistic. Haha, in looking at what I'm planning to do and change on the unit, imagine how much that would cost from a retailer or modder...

Like damn, I just finshed with that never ending nightmare, i mean funding, campaign of the Geek Pulse and modifications like that were like $100 a pop. But ahhh, I can't talk shiit too much. I'll be happy when I get my tricked out DAC+AMP from them for work :-D

Anyway, I bet if I geared this Gustard U12 thing up with those all mods it'd be and interesting little piece of gear to listen to. Like I had mentioned earlier, even if it doesn't sound that great, the construction of it feels very impressive and I loved it as soon as I picked it up.

I think it's not all that expensive for a fun little project. You're right about the amount of time though, I wish it would take a little shorter. I also hope I don't just f***ing drop it or something when I'm done and ruin all my work @_@

I'll definitely report in when it's all done; the months and months from now when that is :-P

Ben- Did you report back somewhere about these mods? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hi there!! I am having problems with sound sistme... I have a Mac mini i7, I have a GUSTARD U12 and a MUSICAL FIDELITY V90-DAC... and I can not connect them both!!! can some body help!! I am using a USB from my Mac in to the GUSTARD... then an OPTICAL CABLE to my DAC and there is no signal. Not on the GUSTARD! and my mac does no recognizes USB output... but if I connect my Mac direct to the DAC every thing goes fin!! where are my connections wrong?? Are the connections Mac-USB-GUSTARD-OPTICAL-DAC-SOUND SISTEM?? Is the USB the only GUSTARD INPUT??? what's wrong??? please help!!