IGNORED

Gustard U12

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone had experience with the U12? I've been considering a Hydra-Z, but while waiting on them I've been looking at the Gustard. It is a very good price if it is comparable to some of the better USB converters.

I am also waiting for my Hydra Z, did you try Gustard yet. I might buy one today. Thanks.

Not sure if this a U-10 with an LED display added or if there is a design difference. The circuit board lay out between the two is a little different. I have a U-10 modded with Crystek clocks, Life battery powered, and Dexa low noise voltage regular.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

I am not sure, but I thought it used the same XMOS. Can't find the U-10 specs, but I thought they just added the read out. As far as the mod goes I just ripped out most of the AC components and put four pin sockets in so I could move clocks in and out. The Crystek are surface mount, but there is a 4 pin adaptor board available. Since the circuit was designed for TXO's I sometimes use the Vanguard clocks. With the Life Battery the mod is around $100.

DSC_0305.jpg

Battery (3S2P) last forever on a charge.

DSC_0362.jpg

Clocks and Dexa Voltage Regulator with the blue led.

Haven't had any issues and it sounds good.

Here is the thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ive-dropped-my-gustard-u-10-floor-and-it-doesnt-work-21180/

Edit: In this configuration it doesn't use any USB power and D+ D- 0 volt return will work.

Edit2: The CCHD957 clocks are from Digikey.

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 2 weeks later...
I am not sure, but I thought it used the same XMOS. Can't find the U-10 specs, but I thought they just added the read out. As far as the mod goes I just ripped out most of the AC components and put four pin sockets in so I could move clocks in and out. The Crystek are surface mount, but there is a 4 pin adaptor board available. Since the circuit was designed for TXO's I sometimes use the Vanguard clocks. With the Life Battery the mod is around $100.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15981[/ATTACH]

Battery (3S2P) last forever on a charge.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15983[/ATTACH]

Clocks and Dexa Voltage Regulator with the blue led.

Haven't had any issues and it sounds good.

Here is the thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ive-dropped-my-gustard-u-10-floor-and-it-doesnt-work-21180/

Edit: In this configuration it doesn't use any USB power and D+ D- 0 volt return will work.

Edit2: The CCHD957 clocks are from Digikey.

The U12 is not just the U10 in a new case and the addition of a display, this had been confirmed elsewhere.

The U10 uses an L1 XMOS chip that is for general processing, not specially USB audio. But the new U12 uses a U processor, which XMOS specifically developed at the end of 2013 for USB audio. It's called USB PHY, for whatever reason, but it's what allows native DSD over USB, DoP over USB, and what allows 32/384 or 32/768 over USB.

The L1 could only do DSD over PCM (DoP) via its I2s output, and though I'm 90% certain I can't say for sure, I believe it's limited to DSD64.

I'm not sure about the rest of the circuit, but for sure the 2 units have very different brains, and the U12 is very new.

Now Harpy, how about that mod log that I asked for over in your thread :-D

I'd be careful with batteries in this application. Because of their chemical nature batteries are noisy and produce HF ripple, which is anathema to generating a low-phase noise clock. The reservoir cap or battery in case of a direct connection needs to be decoupled, and the best way to determine the value is to scope the power lead under load with a high-impedance probe and try a bunch of different caps. It may require multiple caps to fully quiet it across the spectrum. The ripple size is inversely exponential with charge level. (As is the internal resistance.) So use a battery discharged to close to the cut-off capacity (not sure how that's determined for LiFe, but I assume voltage is a reliable indicator) to test under worst-case conditions. Still, given the sensitivity of a clock to ripple and the audibility of phase noise I'd personally build a quality low-ripple DC supply and use that. Just my $.02...

Does anyone have a Apple Macintosh driver for the Gustard U12??? I just received my U12 but the driver for it is for Windows. Emailed eBay seller for correct driver but no response yet and the Gustard website is in Chinese. Help!!!

Marvin

No driver is neccesary for OS X just Plug & Play

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

Got mine

Got mine too! What's your opinion?

I like it in my setup. All and all it sounds more natural. Better defined. Natural sound is key in my book, this U12 is very capable of doing so.

In combination with the app bitperfect the sample-frequency automatically adjusts on both the mac-mini and the Gustard follows this flawless.

It also provides a very controlled low. All and all, it improved the balans in my setup.

Eric Bibb's 'i heard the angels singing' from 'painting signs' (relative harsh/mid-happy recording) sounds better then before.

Overall very happy with the cheap upgrade.

Got mine too! What's your opinion?

I like it in my setup. All and all it sounds more natural. Better defined. Natural sound is key in my book, this U12 is very capable of doing so.

In combination with the app bitperfect the sample-frequency automatically adjusts on both the mac-mini and the Gustard follows this flawless.

It also provides a very controlled low. All and all, it improved the balans in my setup.

Eric Bibb's 'i heard the angels singing' from 'painting signs' (relative harsh/mid-happy recording) sounds better then before.

Overall very happy with the cheap upgrade.

Awesome news, I'm happy you like it. Unfortunately my listening plans for the evening were foiled with a surprise visit to the wife's parents... Maybe tomorrow night now.

What I can say from unpacking it though is that it's a heavy little bugger and has very good craftsmanship! Man, for ~$130 this feels like a much more expensive component. I'm really excited to listen to it and to start modding in a couple months.

But that Hydra doesn't use the raved XMOS processor. And a tad more expensive :) a 1:1 comparison would be neat.

I have the new Hydra Z, used to own Hydra X+ and was very impressed. Hydra Z uses ARM3 processor per their web site. I will report on Z performance. U12 looks interesting and it is lot cheaper.

Awesome news, I'm happy you like it. Unfortunately my listening plans for the evening were foiled with a surprise visit to the wife's parents... Maybe tomorrow night now.

Lack of tactics. If you need a day off from your beloved family, visit them the day before. It's not that you don't want them over, don't get me wrong, but somehow their timing can be slightly off. And let me guess. They always call under dinertime too, right?

Wait.. You mean you visited THEM? Put your foot down!!!

Kidding, we can talk all we wan't on a forum and among friends. In the end we know we all will nod and obey..

@signature8 thanks for the info, indeed, the U12 is dirt-cheap, in the great scheme of things. I read people use power/usb cables on these devices that are more expensive.. Not that these cables cost a fortune, the U12 is just THAT cheap.. :)

No driver is neccesary for OS X just Plug & Play

And for Linux as well ?

I've read on ebay seller sheet that it is not suitable for Linux...

with Linux, the U12 works but in fact resamples all files to 16/44 or something like that, or it operates fully ?

Is would be to put after my SMS100. Some interfaces seems to work perfectly but in fact they resamples/downsize whatever etc...

rgds

Hifi & optical LAN setup => here !

And for Linux as well ?

I've read on ebay seller sheet that it is not suitable for Linux...

with Linux, the U12 works but in fact resamples all files to 16/44 or something like that, or it operates fully ?

Is would be to put after my SMS100. Some interfaces seems to work perfectly but in fact they resamples/downsize whatever etc...

rgds

I have a SOTM SMS-100 and it works perfectly with the Gustard U12. There is no change in sampling frequency from the SMS-100 to the DAC. The sample rate indicator on my DAC always matches the sample rate indicator on the Gustard. Once broken in, the sound quality is terrific. No driver is required for the Linux computers, or the SMS-100.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

I have a SOTM SMS-100 and it works perfectly with the Gustard U12. There is no change in sampling frequency from the SMS-100 to the DAC. The sample rate indicator on my DAC always matches the sample rate indicator on the Gustard. Once broken in, the sound quality is terrific. No driver is required for the Linux computers, or the SMS-100.

The more and more I read about the SOtM SMS-100, the more and more I'd like to grab one. The reviews are all great and the idea that such a small package, even if you invest in an LPSU, get you such great sound is amazing!

The more and more I read about the SOtM SMS-100, the more and more I'd like to grab one. The reviews are all great and the idea that such a small package, even if you invest in an LPSU, get you such great sound is amazing!

My SOTM SMS-100 is connected to a QNAP fanless NAS running Minimserver and Minimstreamer, with the latter set to transcode dsd and dff files to DOP, and flac to 24 bit wav files. Thanks to Jesus R from Sonore who suggested this Minimstreamer configuration. These Minimstreamer settings had an instant and very positive impact on sound quality. A Keces-116 linear power supply powers the SMS-100. Lastly, the SMS-100 works with many iPad and Android based control points Kinsky, Kazoo, Lightening DS, BubbleDS, . . . etc., however I have found the Lumin app to be the most compatible and bug free.

The total price for the SMS-100+Keces+Gustard is $900. Not too bad considering the price of one box alternatives.

The next step is to audition an I2S DAC with the Gustard U12. I am looking for options here, with the Wyred4Sound DAC2se as the most likely candidate. I just need to find a local dealer that carries the line and has one available for an in home demo.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio