IGNORED

DAC suggestions with Sonos

Thanks to all for your generosity and insight in helping me sort this out. I bought a used Bryston BDA-1 just moments ago. So that part of this puzzle is solved. I'm excited and can return to work feeling like I accomplished something this long holiday weekend!

Congrats - well done. Be interested to hear your feedback and learn from your purchase.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I am currently running a Wyred4Sound-modded Sonos box through the BDA-2, which is essentially the same DAC except for the USB implementation. I am very happy with it, and I think you will be happy as well.

I'm not sure that statement is accurate. Amongst other things Bryston changed their choice of DAC chips which implies there was a redesign beyond just "upgrading" the USB implementation.

Thats not to say the BDA-1 isn't still a good performer.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on another site where W4S responded to a question in regard to diff. between "Cullen" upgraded Sonos Connect and stock Sonos Connect hooked up to the Remedy Reclocker - the reduction in jitter is exactly the same, which is not totally surprising as the Remedy id based on the Cullen upgrade. Thus it follows that there is no benefit of hooking up a Remedy to a modified Sonos unit. However, it is less expensive and offers more flexibility to just get the Remedy - if this is a desired path in the first place. I have yet to find any comparisons between the Synchro Mesh by Empirical Audio and the Remedy Reclocker by W4S.

• 2 weeks later...

Benchmark have closeouts on the DAC1 HCG. I've used a Dac1 with Sonos for years. It's awesome.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra