IGNORED

Jazz at the Pawnshop - in Double Rate DSD (DSD 128) !

That clears it right up thanks. SO I can play it then. Why do they not just call it 24/352.8k PCM instead of DXD?

Merging Technologies (Pyramix) developed and refined the late 90's Philips engineering software for SACD production. Philips chose a PCM methodology for DSD post production, as opposed to Sony's PDM (Pulse Density Modulation) approach used in the Sonoma workstation. Since Philips needed a sexy name for their PCM approach for this non releasable interchange format, the choose Digital eXtream Definition DXD (sexy enough for studio owners?).

Now that it's starting to be a releasable PCM next higher sampling rate from 24/176KHz format, it'll develop the same catchy shortcut recognition as the other misstated double and quad DSD.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone compared the here mentioned Naxos 2xHD release from 2014 to the latest UltraHD CD released by FIM in 2013? The latter is available as 16 bit CD quality download at Quobuz and got very good reviews. And what about the 30th anniversary version released on SACD in 2000. It is available as download as well (88.2/24).

As my system allows only 44.1/16 I would not mind about highres or DSD, so I'd be curious to hear if there's a version favourable for it's mastering.

I have the K2HD (which should be the same master as the UHD I believe) which sounds very good - compared to the 2xHD it sounds somewhat 'thicker' with less accurate bass if that makes sense to you; the 2xHD sounds more acurate but is also very nice musically. The 30th anniversary sonds to 'thin' to me - wouldn't buy/recommend when you think about the UHD.

Nowadays I listen only to the 2xHD and use the others just for comparisons

Thanks for sharing your impression jazz01!

Meanwhile I found these two statements in a thread located at whatsbestforum:

Jazz at the Pawnshop Again?

"I've got the "Fifth and Ultimate Version" according to the liner notes from the FIM vinyl produced by Winston Ma. According to the notes, he first re-mastered JATP in 1997, in HDCD 24K gold format. When XRCD came out, he said it offered better sound, so he produced it in that and the HDCD version was discontinued. In 2000, when SACD was launched he decided to redo it in that format. This gave him the opportunity to enhance the 2nd disc of the album, which prior had been made using a copy rather than the original master tape. After securing the full set of the original master tapes, he produced it in Red Book, SACD stereo and SACD multichannel. In 2007, he used JVC's K2 HD 24-bit 100K Hz format to re do JATP and said it was better than the previous SACD version. In 2012, he re-mastered it for the fifth time, using UHD 32-Bit mastering to produce a Redbook format. Winston says to please compare this version with any previous version, that there is "no contest - in fact, it's not even close - between the previous versions and this new and ultimate version in the UHD format". He then used Michael Bishop and Doug Sax to produce the vinyl. I have the 33 1/3 rpm triple album version, though a limited quantity 45 rpm, single-sided version was also produced."

Jazz at the Pawnshop Again? - Page 7

"I downloaded the entire record in DSD128 and have given it a brief listen in comparison to the aiff rip of my CD. Is there a difference? yes, but frankly it is rather slight. The 2XDSD has a slightly more relaxed sound and appears to put you a little closer to the action than the CD. The brush strokes on the drums appear to be a tad more pronounced. Timbre seems to be very close, still sounding a bit on the bright side overall. I guess in all respects the new mastering at 2X DSD is a small improvement over prior releases. Small increases across the board can add up but I am not sure I hear enough of a difference here to want to actually pay full freight for this one. ( it was essentially free so I am not complaining). This new master does not cure the issues I had with the prior releases. I am comparing it to the original double CD edition. When I have the time, I will give it a more careful listen. I have only listened to 2 tracks. The opening track, Limehouse Blues is a little longer as it starts with more room ambiance before the music starts. I am a bit concerned that all these new masters aren't really giving us much more for the extra money. I am more inclined now not to get remastered high resolution files of material I have already on CD unless it is a truly important recording. If my overall impressions change over more listening, I will let you know."

Interesting, but still nobody who compared UltraHD vs. 2xHD.

Btw. the same question comes up for another scandinavian classic and famed recording: "Cantate Domino" – both available as UltraHD CD-quality download and Naxos 2xHD Highres/DSD download

Cantate Domino is a litte bit different from JATP. The K2HD has more and nicer bass than both the UHD and the 2xHD - but on some tracks too much; the UHD has less bass but better hights, but again on some tracks too much. The Canatate Domino 2xHD has been a little bit a disapointment for me as especially the bass goes not as deep (an organ should go deep, right?) as on the K2HD, rest is fine. I've done a playlist of all versions which fits nicest by song to me on my player. Different Story with JATP: you can go either with K2HD and probably the UHD (I haven't bought as I was really satisfied with the K2HD at that time) or the 2xHD (which is a sligthly better choice now) but you will not get disapointet either way. Just to my listening experience

yes, for sure. I have read a couple of good Reviews about the CantateD 2xHD - first bought the DSD and was disappointed, maybe because of high expectations. Later I tried and bought the DSD128 which is an improvment in the bass - but still I would wished a better reproduction of the organ. JATP in comparison is fine :-)

Quobuz sent me one 2xHD track of JATP for checking. When I listen to it via headphone from my iMacs headphone out it sounds the same to me like when I listen to the same mp3 track snippet directly streamed from Quobuz site.

When I compare 2xHD and UltraHD CD listening to the snippets from their website via my headphone I have to say I clearly prefer the UltraHD CD: It sound more vivid and has more depth, also a bit stronger bass. The 2xHD is much dryer and more direct, pushing the room and ambience far more in the background.

As for Cantate Domino I find the UltraHD CD to sound a bit flat and occasionally sharp in the highs compared to 2xHD. So here I'd prefer the 2xHD though I find the differences here to be much smaller than in regards to JATP.

All that of course only based upon the mp3 snippets you can stream from their site. But as I said, at least for the highres track they sent me for testing I can say it sounds very close to the mp3, identically in fact via headphone out, as opposed to the clearly larger difference between the two different masterings.

interesting - sounds to me you found your JATP Version. By the way, to me each JATP Version sounds very consistent in itself - so chances are that you will find also the other tracks on your favorable choice as similar nice/vivid as the one you tested. Whereas on CantateD each version/mastering has for me some tracks well over the others enjoyable so I ended up with a mixed playlist on my player; but I would not do a mix-up between my K2HD and 2xHD JATP Versions. Enjoy :-)

• 6 years later...
On 9/20/2016 at 1:37 AM, steklo said:

Has anyone compared the here mentioned Naxos 2xHD release from 2014 to the latest UltraHD CD released by FIM in 2013? The latter is available as 16 bit CD quality download at Quobuz and got very good reviews. And what about the 30th anniversary version released on SACD in 2000. It is available as download as well (88.2/24).

As my system allows only 44.1/16 I would not mind about highres or DSD, so I'd be curious to hear if there's a version favourable for it's mastering.

I see no sign of the UltraHD version being available on Qobuz or any other download site.  There seems to be a Proprius "2014 Remaster," but, since it's available in both 24/88 and Redbook, I doubt very much it's the FIM version.

• 2 weeks later...