IGNORED

Jazz at the Pawnshop - in Double Rate DSD (DSD 128) !

Here's a big one. The legendary album "Jazz at the Pawnshop" is now available from Acoustic Sounds, Native DSD and Pro Sound Masters in both Single Rate (DSD 64) and Double Rate (DSD 128). Native also adds a DXD version. According to the descriptions, these are Analog Master Tape to DSD and DXD transfers. Excellent!

It sounds great on the Sony HAP-Z1ES and a new Stereo DSD DAC I'm reviewing here. Just like you were there, at the "Pawnshop" Jazz club in Stockholm when it was recorded.

Quite a difference in price between the music sites - the Double Rate DSD is going for $30.20 on Native DSD and $44.99 on Acoustic Sounds and Pro Studio Masters.

The other difference to ponder is the file size of the JATP downloads. While they are all in stereo, the DSD-64 download is 2.2 GB, the DSD-128 download is 5.8 GB and the DXD download is 8.8 GB. Interesting....

Jazz At The Pawnshop - 400w.jpg

Jazz At The Pawnshop in Double Rate DSD (DSD 128)

https://naxos.nativedsd.com/albums/jazz-at-the-pawnshop

Arne Domnerus; Bengt Hallberg; Georg Riedel; Egil Johansen; Lars Erstrand, Jazz at the Pawnshop in High-Resolution Audio - ProStudioMasters

Various Artists-Jazz At The Pawnshop-DSD Double Rate 56MHz128fs Download | Acoustic Sounds

Will my Luxman da-06 be able to play the dxd version

Hmm, the DAC supports PCM to 352.8 but the specs don't mention DXD by name as a supported format. You probably need to contact Luxman or their distributor to be sure. Although you may not need the DXD version once you hear Jazz at the Pawnshop using the new DSD-128 download.... :)

On a Higher Note :: DA-06 Digital Analog Converter, supports DSD over USB

Hmm, the DAC supports PCM to 352.8 but the specs don't mention DXD by name as a supported format. You probably need to contact Luxman or their distributor to be sure. Although you may not need the DXD version once you hear Jazz at the Pawnshop using the new DSD-128 download.... :)

On a Higher Note :: DA-06 Digital Analog Converter, supports DSD over USB

The Luxman DA-06 supports up to 32/384 PCM, so I don't see why it wouldn't support DXD, which is 24/352.8.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

The Luxman DA-06 supports up to 32/384 PCM, so I don't see why it wouldn't support DXD, which is 24/352.8.

I'm guessing so as well. They probably need to add that to the current spec sheet which says:

Supported Formats:

DSD 1-bit @ 2.8224 MHz, 5.6448 MHz (when used with an ASIO 2.1 DSD driver) over USB.

PCM 16, 20 & 24-bit @ 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz (when used with a PCM driver)

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

I love my new DAC, its looks and plays like a GEM.

You'll have plenty of hours of listening enjoyment there, I'm sure. Luxman makes fine audio equipment.

With Jazz at the Pawnshop, you can also buy a track or two in all three resolutions (DSD, DSD128 and DXD) from Native DSD before plunging and buying the whole album in one format or another.

And I see they have some Christmas Music in DSD on the Native DSD home page today. Yes, the holidays have arrived in DSD..... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, it's on the analog tape, but has been fixed and retransferred. Rene (2xHD) is sending me a new track (in all 3 transfers) by weeks end. Give us some time then PM me or send Jonas (info@Native) a note and we will replace the track.

To be more clear, we have decided to proactively send everyone who ordered JATP the newly corrected track 3. No need to send us a trouble ticket, etc. It should be done in the next few days. I received the repaired tracks (DXD, DSD64, DSD128) today. Just a note: these are not upsampled from one another; they are each separate transfers from analog. Rene LaFlamme (2xHD) is the transfer god behind this.

To be more clear, we have decided to proactively send everyone who ordered JATP the newly corrected track 3. No need to send us a trouble ticket, etc. It should be done in the next few days. I received the repaired tracks (DXD, DSD64, DSD128) today. Just a note: these are not upsampled from one another; they are each separate transfers from analog. Rene LaFlamme (2xHD) is the transfer god behind this.

Thank you, Ted!!!

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Great news!

Prostudiomasters were very kind to replace the damaged track. Highly suggest to use their service. No association with them - just a happy customer :)

I'm really happy with Prostudiomasters as well. Their website is a bit primitive but get on their mailing list and they will send you site wide 15% off coupons every week or so.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Nativedsd.com, whose customer rl5555 , the poster here that recognized the editing problem, has put Track 3 of Pawnshop on its daily free download in all three format variations. They're available to all, regardless of whether the download has been previously purchased from nativedsd.

https://www.nativedsd.com/

Nice to have a free track from Jazz at the Pawnshop in DSD for everyone - Native DSD customers, people who purchased the album from other download sites and those just looking for something to test DSD on their DACs, players or that Pono player.... :)

I have no idea, short of downloading it and trying... I also have the DA-06. I know it will play DSD128, but have no idea about DXD. Would I need something other than Pure Music or Amarra to play a DXD file?

DXD is simply another name for PCM at 24/352.8k. If your DAC accepts files that high then go for it. All players that play PCM play any sample rate of PCM, so no need to go player shopping. All of the usual suspects play DXD (PM, A+, Amarra, JRiver, Decibel, etc etc) as long as your dac does.

DXD is simply another name for PCM at 24/352.8k. If your DAC accepts files that high then go for it. All players that play PCM play any sample rate of PCM, so no need to go player shopping. All of the usual suspects play DXD (PM, A+, Amarra, JRiver, Decibel, etc etc) as long as your dac does.

That clears it right up thanks. SO I can play it then. Why do they not just call it 24/352.8k PCM instead of DXD?

No electron left behind.