IGNORED

Pono Music Software

jriver

I have use foobar for ever it seems - 10 years at least. But since I bought my Pono Limited Edition CSNY from kick starter I am now using PMW. A few randpm thoughts:

1. Firstly, I need to say - to me, all my hi res files sound much much better. PCM and DSD files are both superior played in PMW. At least that's what i think, I've not done any A/B blind testing but right now I am very happy.

2. I hate computers, vinyl is still my preferred source, but computers are a necessary evil. The main reason I used foobar was that it is simple. Foobar is much easier to use, but my perception is that PMW sounds better, so I will perservere.

3. My wife has an iPhone and i never could figure out how to synch it. i get the kids to do that. I can't figure out how to synch PMW with my Pono, either. Did i tell you that i hate computers? I just drag and drop. There is no easier way of transferring files.

4. I live in Australia and I can't buy downloads from Pono. Major bummer, there are some tasty Neil young albums I want to get. At least I can buy from HDTracks with a VPN. So I won't comment on the down load experience.

5. There are way too many options in PMW. I don't use tone controls, graphic equalisers etc. I want the shortest signal path with minimum interference. I can do that with Foobar. PMW is a bit daunting. I hate computers.

6. I've never used the library function in Foobar. I've always just started playing files and/or folders using contect sensitive menu in Window Explorer. I can't figure out how to do this in PMW so have to resort to drag and drop into the PMW 'now playing' window, and I am also starting to use the music library. Which is sorta fun, but it takes an age to get everything sorted out in the way i want things represented. Like in my folders in Explorer, I file Wings under Paul McCarney directory, and I know exactly where all my Paul McCartney albums are. But the music library puts McCartney LP under Paul McCartney as artist, it puts RAM under Paul and Linda McCartney as artist, and it puts Venus and Mars under Wings as artist. Really, do I have to update all my tags just to get all my Paul McCartney LPs in the same place? Stupid comnputer, doesn't it know that Wings albums belong with the rest of the Paul McCartney catalogue?

7. And finally, a question if I may. My sound card is an EMU 1212M, which has a CS4398 DAC. This DAC should support direct DSD input, and as Foobar converts DSD to PCM, it appears that one big advantage of the PMW player is that it will send DSD (as DoP) direct to the DAC without an intermediate FLAC conversion. This is a huge advantage. I have read the JRiver user manual and from what I read, to send DSD to the sound card, what I have to do is:

- set device = E-MU (ASIO)

- in Device Settings, Tools, click on the tick box 'DSD Bitstream in DoP format'

So, can someone pls confirm this?

Anyways I am very happy with PMW. Some nights, I can listen to computer music and not play any vinyl. That's never happened before!

Cheers, Hazard

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pono Music

PMW 20.0.100 available at Pono Music.

This is the latest version of PMW20. Please post bugs here. Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion. Non-bug posts will be deleted.

20.0.100 (4/29/2015)

1. Fixed: PDT-248 The user is unable to drag the app from the right of the header logo if Retina Mode is enabled after launch.

2. Fixed: PDT-300 The user receives an error message next to the track and the file transfer fails. Could not reproduce, but sounds related to fixed issue PDT-298.

3. Changed: PDT-294,PDT-281 Users are now advised to visit ponomusic.com on the redirect web page.

4. Fixed: CD Ripping would sometimes create duplicate track entries in the database.

5. Fixed: Improved progress display while updating firmware - added a separate "transfer" stage to show copying firmware download to the PonoPlayer. Avoids long lag with progress bar at 100%.

6. Changed: New features only supported by next PonoPlayer firmware update.

Just read a post at Pono Music re release on April 29 of PMW build 20.0.100. According to JimH of JRMC, he posted that Pono Music asked the build to be taken down temporarily. I can find nothing further about the reason for the request. I have reinstalled 20.0.83.

Frankly, I do not understand the reason for the removal of the PMW build 20.0.100. Understandably, as no reason was given. And I only happened upon this information when visiting the Pono Music Forum at the JRMC website several minutes ago and by happenstance.

I feel obliged to report his to the members at CA in part because I posted the release of the build yesterday that disappeared without so much as an announcement by email or otherwise. How does the complete absence of any information or notice except by intentionally discovery benefit PMW software and Pono Player owner users?

Maybe I should leave those new build announcements to those who seek the information on their own as I do not want the best intentions as a rationale for doing so to result in something I would not be happy about.

A little Spring cleaning for today. Hope this helped.

Best,

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

This is the latest version of PMW20. Please post bugs here. Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion. Non-bug posts will be deleted.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=41.0

20.0.100 (4/29/2015)

1. Fixed: PDT-248 The user is unable to drag the app from the right of the header logo if Retina Mode is enabled after launch.

2. Fixed: PDT-300 The user receives an error message next to the track and the file transfer fails. Could not reproduce, but sounds related to fixed issue PDT-298.

3. Changed: PDT-294,PDT-281 Users are now advised to visit ponomusic.com on the redirect web page.

4. Fixed: CD Ripping would sometimes create duplicate track entries in the database.

5. Fixed: Improved progress display while updating firmware - added a separate "transfer" stage to show copying firmware download to the PonoPlayer. Avoids long lag with progress bar at 100%.

6. Changed: New features only supported by next PonoPlayer firmware update.

Reinstalled PMW 20.0.100 which is required for the Pono Revealer and in preparation for the firmware update to 1.0.6 which installed effortlessly. Remember to remove the memory card before installing the updated firmware. Once all installed, the Pono Revealer program installed and a Neil Young track from Harvest. Unfortunately, my time with the system is limited to this post. But later today, I will catch up and listen.

There are videos at Pono Music to help with becoming acquainted (smile). Hoping the new player build and firmware deliver and cure those impediments some of us have labored with. Hope these posts help.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Make sure you have at least 1 GB of space free on your device before you try to use it.

As REShaman said above, you must update both PonoMusic World to 20.0.100 and the firmware to 1.0.6.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

Make sure you have at least 1 GB of space free on your device before you try to use it.

As REShaman said above, you must update both PonoMusic World to 20.0.100 and the firmware to 1.0.6.

OOOps! I watched the video at Pono Music, recommended one also view the video which cues one to be aware of the 1GB space free requirement. I should have referred to that 1 GB requirement in my earlier post. Fortunately, jriver took notice and included this information.

Sorry for the omission.

Best,

Richard

• 1 year later...

Pono MusicWorld timed out a few days ago and Pono has apparently decided not to renew.

We've made some changes to JRiver Media Center 22.0.54 to better support the Pono Player. You can read more on the Pono board at JRiver.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,41.0.html

You can purchase for a few days at a discount with a coupon available there.

Pono MusicWorld timed out a few days ago and Pono has apparently decided not to renew.

We've made some changes to JRiver Media Center 22.0.54 to better support the Pono Player. You can read more on the Pono board at JRiver.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,41.0.html

You can purchase for a few days at a discount with a coupon available there.

First, thanks for the effort to take care of those who want to continue using JRiver with the Pono Player.

Second (and I don't necessarily expect an answer, but please feel free if you'd like :) ), does the word "apparently" in "Pono has apparently decided not to renew" mean the Pono folks didn't communicate with you (at all/much) about this in advance? Not a great look on their part in my admittedly uninformed opinion.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud,

You probably have a good idea. I don't want to say anything against Neal Young or Pono. I think they did a great job getting a service up and running, even though it wasn't perfect. Given their original budget and schedule, I think they pulled off a minor miracle.

Communication was never their long suit, with partners or customers, except for the brief time when John Hamm was CEO. He was amazingly good at all aspects of the job, and that includes communication. They have had several other really fine people, but the culture may have never worked. Too little day to day leadership and focus.

I do wish them all the best. Keep on truckin'.

Jim Hillegass

CEO, JRiver