IGNORED

Simon & Garfunkel

New downloads at HDTracks and Pono Music World. HDT is offering 192/24 and Pono just 44/16. Anyone purchase them yet and how do they sound?

Chris

Aurender N100H --> iPad Mini --> WireWorld Silver Starlight USB Cable -> Mytek 192 DSD DAC --> Decware TABOO MKIII --> Decware Interconnects -> Audeze LCD-X and Sennheiser HD800 -> Moon Audio Silver Dragon Balanced Headphone Cables

Just bought both BOTW and Bookends. No questions asked.

I have 2-3 other versions of each from Masterworks, Bluspec etc,etc. it will be interesting to see which sounds best.

Thanks for posting...I have been waiting years for this. Now all that is left to fill my holiday season with joy, will be a similar release from Radiohead....one can only wish.

Aurender S10--> Berkeley Alpha USB—> Meitner MA-1 --> Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Audio Research REF-110-->Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers

Sonore UltraRendu with Uptone power supply —> Meitner MA1

AQ Sky XLR Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond USB, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB, Nordost Heimdall 2 AES-EBU

AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

HRS RXR Rack with Isolation Bases

I got really excited when I saw these S&G releases on HTracks, as they were a significant part of my musical 'formative years'. For a moment I thought that Sony might have released the albums in a box set with the hi-res versions all on a Blu-ray Audio disc (as some classical labels have done with re-releases), but a quick check on Amazon revealed that though there is indeed a newly remastered 12-CD box set ('The Complete Albums Collection'), there is no Blu-ray Audio option. So, it looks like these 192/24 downloads are the only way to go if you want them in hi-res. At $25 a pop, I think the price is just a bit steep, even with the current HDtracks 15%-off sale, and especially considering the short length of the albums, but.... I'm REALLY interested whether they sound significantly better than previous CD issues/reissues.

Russell

MacBook Pro (early 2011, 16MB RAM, OS X High Sierra) > Audirvana Plus  > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

About to start listening to BOTW right now...I will report back soon. :)

Five (or so) in heavy rotation:

Van Halen - Studio Albums 1978-1984 (24/192) | The Eagles - Hotel California (24/192) | Robbie Robertson - S/T (MFSL) | Tord Gustavsen - The Well (24/96) | The Beatles - Rubber Soul (24-Bit)

Well...it's early yet, but I really like what I'm hearing! Clarity and good separation of instruments. Doesn't seem to have that slight grunge that my most recent remaster had in more complex stretches.

That's with Geek Out as a source and AKG K550's. I'll check it out on my home system tonight (hopefully).

The title track and "Only Living Boy in NY" are two of my all-time favorites and they sound fantastic!

Five (or so) in heavy rotation:

Van Halen - Studio Albums 1978-1984 (24/192) | The Eagles - Hotel California (24/192) | Robbie Robertson - S/T (MFSL) | Tord Gustavsen - The Well (24/96) | The Beatles - Rubber Soul (24-Bit)

Well...it's early yet, but I really like what I'm hearing! Clarity and good separation of instruments. Doesn't seem to have that slight grunge that my most recent remaster had in more complex stretches.

That's with Geek Out as a source and AKG K550's. I'll check it out on my home system tonight (hopefully).

The title track and "Only Living Boy in NY" are two of my all-time favorites and they sound fantastic!

Oh man.... Looks like I might be spending some $$$$ tonight! Thanks for your initial impressions (but please keep posting more)!

Russell

MacBook Pro (early 2011, 16MB RAM, OS X High Sierra) > Audirvana Plus  > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Listening to Bookends

It is VERY difficult to tell differences between Blu-spec CD Rip and 24/192.

Both are much, much better than standard CD issue when A-B'ing. There is perhaps a little more space between instruments and channel separation with the 24/192, but it is subtle.

Both Blu-spec CD Rip and 24/192 download sound awesome.

I may be getting more Blu-spec CDs after hearing this.

I have a few BOTW versions to try later

Aurender S10--> Berkeley Alpha USB—> Meitner MA-1 --> Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Audio Research REF-110-->Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers

AQ Sky XLR Interconnects, Audioquest Diamond USB, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB, Nordost Heimdall 2 AES-EBU

Listening to Bookends

It is VERY difficult to tell differences between Blu-spec CD Rip and 24/192.

Both are much, much better than standard CD issue when A-B'ing. There is perhaps a little more space between instruments and channel separation with the 24/192, but it is subtle.

Both Blu-spec CD Rip and 24/192 download sound awesome.

I may be getting more Blu-spec CDs after hearing this.

I have a few BOTW versions to try later

Just a quick look on Amazon and it seems the Blu-spec CDs are significantly more expensive than the 24/192 download. Is it having the physical media that makes them attractive?

Quite frankly, my CD is sitting on a shelf somewhere and I only listen to the RIP.

I cannot in any way explain why a blu-spec rip would sound so good. I don't know if but is somehow a different master? My understanding is it is simply a different way of etching the grooves in the desk, and perhaps a subtle difference in composition of the CD physical material.

That Blu-spec is considerably better than the standard CD issue, and again, very difficult to discern from the 24/192 download.

I found the 24/192 BOTW to be better than both Legacy-Mastersound CD and 40th Anniversary re-release. I do not own a Blu-spec BOTW.

I will say, the DVD in that 40th Anniversary re-release is alone worth it for the $14.99 cost.