IGNORED

Poll: should JRiver remove the JPlay is a hoax warnings from their JRMC product?

Antoine

Should JRiver remove the JPlay is a hoax warnings from their JRMC product?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I support JRiver and their necessity to make their own business decisions. Just as I would support your ability to make your own choice whether to use JRiver and/or JPlay or not.

A popup warning is certainly a lot fewer hoops to jump through and a lot less inconvenient than what many of us have had to jump through to convert their SACDs to DSD files. Lets say it is minor compared to something that would be real benefit to the audio community. Ripping SACDs? Yes. This? Not so much...

Life is hard, choices define us. Yet our ability to choose is what defines our freedom. Without our ability to choose for ourselves, we are not free. Imagine a world where people and companies were not allowed to make their own choices. The Twentieth Century has a few examples of how well that idea worked out.

The ability for each of you (JRiver and you) to make their own choices is far more important than your convenience to not have to deal with a pop up window.

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

So let me get this straight: folks are great telling JRiver (Jim and Matt) what to say and how to say it but the same folks don't want others to tell them what to say or how to say it? So JRiver can't call JPlay a "hoax" and Paul can't express his opinions but folks find it reasonable if they call someone a "gas bag" (of a relatively large size)? Wow.

This isn't about if JPlay is or is not a hoax. This is about is JRiver, as a company, free to post a popup within their program when a competitor's program they don't support is added to their program?

And JRiver is a company with a long and open door policy for third party vendors: Partial List of Third Party Software and a Link to Developer Info so there must be a reason they think this is an issue.

Or do we really like to tell people what to say and think so much that this is worth name calling? Since the OP is from EU, perhaps he could request the EC pass a law making it illegal for JRiver to post a popup calling JPlay a hoax.

Then the question would be could there be a popup of any kind, just not say hoax? Or would all popups be prohibited in JRiver. Good grief, people, even contemplating this is madness...

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Sorry to disappoint, Allan.

Perhaps it would be interesting to find out if people care if the popup just said "unapproved program in use" and didn't call JPlay a "hoax"? I would hope it would be ANY popup or else people are just upset that JRiver has a forum to post their ideas (i.e that JPlay is a "hoax").

If it is that people think JRiver shouldn't be free to say what they want to say within their program that we license, then I would say that censorship has gone too far. That would be madness...

Why is it so hard to understand that JRiver is free to write the program they want to write and that censorship in this regard is not any different than someone telling you not to say what you wish. My goodness, Allan, do you really want to censor Jim and Matt's speech? Where does this stop?

P.S. this isn't a question of IF it is a "hoax" then it is OK and if it is NOT a "hoax" then it is not OK. Or if it is, then the OP mislead everyone with his question which then should have been do you think JPlay is a "hoax" or not? I certainly wouldn't have answered a survey asking if I thought it was or was not a hoax. I would, on the other hand, answer a question asking if they should be required to remove a popup window because people don't like what it says or think it is inconvenient. THAT I do have an opinion on...

I believe that most people have indicated that they disapprove of the use of the word “hoax” and not the use of a popup, per se. It would be censorship to suggest that J River not be allowed to use the term. It is not censorship to believe that J River simply should not use the term. Many consider branding a competitor’s product a “hoax” to be an inappropriate and unnecessarily provocative practice.

See my previous reply. To use your example, It is censorship to prevent me from saying what I wish, or to believe that I not be allowed to say what I wish. It is not censorship to disagree with what I say or to believe that I should not say it.

The OP asked neither of the above questions. The issue of whether JPlay is a hoax is only relevant to the extent that J River introduced it as an issue. The survey asked for opinions on whether J River should remove the “hoax” warning. It did not ask if J River should be required to remove it. The distinction may be subtle, but it is significant. Perhaps our views are not that far apart, after all.

That is fair, Allan. I can see why you would say they *should* remove it because that is how you feel. It has nothing to do with if it is or isn't a hoax or making them do so. I have no argument with that opinion. Even if I don't share it entirely, agree that it isn't harmful.

Short of JRiver changing their mind voluntarily, however, I feel that is where it should stop.

Some type of government (legislative or judicial) action require them to do so would fly in the face of the kinds of freedoms many of us cherish.

So if we just want to hold opinions about how we feel and we aren't really saying they should be forced to change it by some type of government action, then what is the purpose of this poll but to be an anti-JRiver petition? The more people that *sign* the petition, the more the negative JRiver seems to the general reader.

Given the respect I have for Jim and Matt and JRiver, I'm glad I voted *no* because I wouldn't want to be a part of a petition against a company that has done so much to enhance my hobby. I would hate to be part of a negative campaign against JRiver.

P.S. Before any says "who said anything about government action?" re-read the posts by the OP where he does call for a judge to censor the "hoax" popup:

With these popup they primarily "punish" their own customers instead of the company they blame. I'd prefer JRiver to take legal actions, fight it out in court; let a judge decide if what JPlay is doing is in any way "parasitic hijacking"

Why should JRiver have to prove their opinion in court? Why does it matter unless you don't want them to be able to say their opinion?

Fair enough, it is ultimately up to a judge to decide if any laws have been broken.

This goes even farther. What laws? The laws that allow freedom of speech and the ability to editorialize?

This is why I am against "censorship" of the CONTENT of the popup. It would be wrong for a judge to tell a company they cannot say what they want to within their own program that people choose to license.