IGNORED

Multiroom DLNA is dead. Get over it Wap!

^ no. You are exactly correct.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

David that Romie app looks interesting..

Are you saying you can integrate a full Sonos setup *and* a generic UPnP player like the pioneer or Marantz with that app..?

How stable is it..

What do you do about 24/192 tracks that might be started on the Marantz then you want to group this track and play it multiroom via Sonos?

How does this work?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Hang on what about Niam?? that is based on UPnP and they have released in the media that they can do multiroom in sync.. what's going on here??

https://www.naimaudio.com/news/17106/multiroom-update-now-available

Wap; Naim create a multi-room system by retransmitting a lossy (MP3 320k iirc) version across the network for the secondary zones.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

David that Romie app looks interesting..

Are you saying you can integrate a full Sonos setup *and* a generic UPnP player like the pioneer or Marantz with that app..?

How stable is it..

What do you do about 24/192 tracks that might be started on the Marantz then you want to group this track and play it multiroom via Sonos?

How does this work?

No magic bullet I'm afraid. If you start high res on the Marantz you can't smply play it to other Sonos zones. Having them both right in one app is at least helpful, more so to those that want same stream playing in all zones at once as you can simply take pre outs from Marantz into separate multi room amp of you want the same output in all rooms.

Roomie is great and has proven to be rock solid.

David

Geez I didn't realize you are a member of the trade and we are posting in the context of your customers. My bad I'm new here. This is explains why your posts sound like they are copied from Sonos marketing copy. Lol

LOL! No, I always sound like that! I'm a tech nerd so that kind of "tech speak" is just second nature to me. Trust me, I don't need to fan the flames for Sonos! They are doing just fine without me.

David

LOL! No, I always sound like that! I'm a tech nerd so that kind of "tech speak" is just second nature to me. Trust me, I don't need to fan the flames for Sonos! They are doing just fine without me.

We are getting off track here.

Nobody is disputing Sonos is not doing well.

This thread is about general DLNA. And the fact it's still a dogs breakfast when it comes to multiroom.

I'm yet to convinced otherwise.

Nor have I seen any further developments till this point in time, other than the encouraging words from the guy from JRiver, that they should be able.. and I emphasise should eventually do some further work on it with their new little computer...

But this *still* won;t allow different and separate DLNA streamers to all play in sync. He stressed it would need to be multiple Ids...

Nobody in individual companies are telling lies here.. Sure DLNA streamers do stream.. but they aint telling the complete truth either.. Consumers are not at this point in time going to be able to keep adding individual DLNA products and get em to sync and play multiroom....

It just aint going to happen right now...

We are getting off track here.

This thread is about general DLNA. And the fact it's still a dogs breakfast when it comes to multiroom.

I'm yet to convinced otherwise.

It just aint going to happen right now...

So you think that Linn's implimentation of multi room DLNA is "dogs breakfast"? Whatever that means. I have been pretty impressed with their efforts myself. When you hear a vinyl record played 24/96 in synch over say, five rooms, or anything that you play on a computer played back the same way (unless of course the file isn't 24/96) I'd have to think you'd be impressed.

David

So you think that Linn's implimentation of multi room DLNA is "dogs breakfast"?

Technically speaking though Linn's multi room implementation isn't using UPnP/DNLA though is it.

Yes, the initial stream is UPnP to the 'Master' device, but it then broadcasts to the secondary players using SongCast which is closer to AirPlay.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks. Is it a fairly common British saying?

I don't know about proper British. Colonial British maybe! haha