IGNORED

Haaaalp guys!

Okay! So! I currently have an NAD 275 BEE and a Dac Magic Plus. My issues lie with the the DAC, the quality is much lower than expected. One of the LEDS has died and the volume knob is finicky working only sometimes. I'm extremely happy with my amp however.

This brings me to my question. What do I get? I can either keep my amp (275 BEE) or get a new integrated. The store that I bought my amp / dac from will allow me to bring them back and get a NAD 390DD for only $1299 plus tax. I really do like NAD so I'm fine with staying with an NAD. I could also get rid of just the dac and get a C 510 from NAD.

TLDR: I want to replace my dac. Do I keep my amp and get a C 510 or replace everything and get a 390DD which is freakin' sweet.

Edit: Speakers are KEF LS50's I love them long time.

Well- if you an afford it, go for the 390DD. (grin)

Otherwise, pick up a $180 iFI iDSD Nano + an iFi iUSB Power + an iFi Gemini cable, or a $500 iFi iDSD Micro. The 390DD has everything but DSD capability, and sounds really good. Try to listen to it for a while first though, it will sound quite difference from your 274BEE.

-Paul

Okay! So! I currently have an NAD 275 BEE and a Dac Magic Plus. My issues lie with the the DAC, the quality is much lower than expected. One of the LEDS has died and the volume knob is finicky working only sometimes. I'm extremely happy with my amp however.

This brings me to my question. What do I get? I can either keep my amp (275 BEE) or get a new integrated. The store that I bought my amp / dac from will allow me to bring them back and get a NAD 390DD for only $1299 plus tax. I really do like NAD so I'm fine with staying with an NAD. I could also get rid of just the dac and get a C 510 from NAD.

TLDR: I want to replace my dac. Do I keep my amp and get a C 510 or replace everything and get a 390DD which is freakin' sweet.

Edit: Speakers are KEF LS50's I love them long time.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well- if you an afford it, go for the 390DD. (grin)

Otherwise, pick up a $180 iFI iDSD Nano + an iFi iUSB Power + an iFi Gemini cable, or a $500 iFi iDSD Micro. The 390DD has everything but DSD capability, and sounds really good. Try to listen to it for a while first though, it will sound quite difference from your 274BEE.

-Paul

Could you maybe elaborate on how it would sound different? I already have a full set of cables and don't really want to buy new ones as I'm happy with what I have.

Could you maybe elaborate on how it would sound different? I already have a full set of cables and don't really want to buy new ones as I'm happy with what I have.

Sure - but realize this is just my own impressions, and I am looking back at notes I made months ago.

3980DD sounds brilliant. Clear and non-fatiguing with all the material I shoved through it. Small tendancy to stress at loud levels with complex music; like a large symphony orchestra. The sound seems to get a little congested with individual instruments and parts blending into each other.

This isn't stereo separation, and the 390DD does separation as well as or better than similar quality mono blocks.

Compared to a NAD 275BEE, it is less organic, slightly more precise sound. Karen thought it was a little colder, and so did I.

Compared to the little Outlaw Monoblocks, the sound was more precise, almost to the point of being finicky. While there were great big heaping gobs of power there, the 390DD did not sound like it had infinite reserves of power. Comparison Note: American Luxury car vs BMW. Same basic specs, but one is more comfortable and one is just far more precise.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Sure - but realize this is just my own impressions, and I am looking back at notes I made months ago.

3980DD sounds brilliant. Clear and non-fatiguing with all the material I shoved through it. Small tendancy to stress at loud levels with complex music; like a large symphony orchestra. The sound seems to get a little congested with individual instruments and parts blending into each other.

This isn't stereo separation, and the 390DD does separation as well as or better than similar quality mono blocks.

Compared to a NAD 275BEE, it is less organic, slightly more precise sound. Karen thought it was a little colder, and so did I.

Compared to the little Outlaw Monoblocks, the sound was more precise, almost to the point of being finicky. While there were great big heaping gobs of power there, the 390DD did not sound like it had infinite reserves of power. Comparison Note: American Luxury car vs BMW. Same basic specs, but one is more comfortable and one is just far more precise.

-Paul

So then what is your opinion on keeping the 275 and getting a C 510?

So then what is your opinion on keeping the 275 and getting a C 510?

It's pretty much a wash. I think *I* would like the 390DD a little better, but again, the C510 and 275 might beat out the 390DD to your ears.

Won't your dealer let you test both setups at your home?

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

It's pretty much a wash. I think *I* would like the 390DD a little better, but again, the C510 and 275 might beat out the 390DD to your ears.

Won't your dealer let you test both setups at your home?

-Paul

My dealer doesn't have either on hand unfortunately. They're the only NAD dealer anywhere close as well. If you're saying that the 390dd is more accurate and true to the original recording I'd be fine with that over staying warm. You said there wasn't any ear fatigue which is another main concern I would have.

My dealer doesn't have either on hand unfortunately. They're the only NAD dealer anywhere close as well. If you're saying that the 390dd is more accurate and true to the original recording I'd be fine with that over staying warm. You said there wasn't any ear fatigue which is another main concern I would have.

Yeah - it is always hard to decide in cases like that, because what *I* like may or may not be what *you* like.

I would go with the 390DD, but negotiate a right to return it, just in case.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Yeah - it is always hard to decide in cases like that, because what *I* like may or may not be what *you* like.

I would go with the 390DD, but negotiate a right to return it, just in case.

-Paul

Yeah, definitely. I think for $1384 after tax it's hard to go wrong getting the 390DD for that price.