IGNORED

Article: Computer Audiophile Pocket Server C.A.P.S. v4 Introduction

Chris-

Are you going to tell us how CAPS4 sounds compared to similar CAPS3 models? I know you don't like to do comparisons, but does CAPS4 provide better SQ, or is it simply a more up to date and less prone to obsolescence server? I think a lot of readers (especially those with a CAPS3) would like to know.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

You're right... I did not see those NUCs coming... :-)

Very interested in your mobo pick & power config for the Pipeline...

Looking forward!

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

Im interested to see updated CAPS designs but wonder if so many flavours will affect the ability to assist new builders. I would have thought that publishing a great architecture would be useful, with discussion of design options and a list of the best (compatible) components:

- power supply options (as per CAPS3)

- music files storage

- output cards (USB/SPDIF/AES/TOS/HDMI)

- cases, noise filters, RAM, etc

Essential for best performance, already mentioned by others, is the OS. In my CAPS3 Zuma the change to Win 2012 server was a definite improvement (Essentials edition is fine). BTW I don't have the problem with the JRiver popup about Jplay with Win2012 so it can be sorted.

My CAPS has proven to be a flexible platform that is capable of producing excellent sound and can be configured and upgraded in may ways. I thank Chris for making the design available and simple enough for me to build (the first computer I've ever assembled).

<cut>

BTW I don't have the problem with the JRiver popup about Jplay with Win2012 so it can be sorted.

<cut>

Of course it can be sorted but that was not my point. Why for #### sake would they build in a "HOAX" warning message into their product? It's completely insane, who do they think they are and dealing with? We're not retards but adults who can make decisions on what other software to install perfectly fine on our own. They'd better put the time in fixing the countless bugs in their products and implement functionality their customers request rather then what they think we need.

Also they should let go of their tunnel visioned 'bits are bits' dogma and start experimenting with some of the things we here on CA often do to make our systems better, they might actually learn something new.

Stop this project right now. I am perfectly happy with my V.3 Zuma outfit and do not want to be tempted to purchase something better.

For those of us not interested in NAS functionality and using asynch USB DAC's straight into CAPS v3, I don't foresee sound quality improvement for CAPS v4. In my case, I am running local eSATA drive for music into CAPS v3 Micro Zuma powered by battery and Linear power supply only, which I will stay with.