IGNORED

HQ Player Test

Jabs1542

I had an epiphany while driving into the city today, was listening to a DSD of Saint Seans Symphony On. 3 (using the Onkyo player on my iPhone) and realized that this was ripped from a hybrid SACD. So here's the premise, the hybrid SACD provides two formats of the same music, ultimately the same mastering. I propose comparing the HQP 16:44 format upsampled to DSD (DSD64 in this case) to the raw DSD rip (which is DSD64).

I'll try a few this weekend though most of my hybrid SACDs are classical.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

I read the Red Book, learned way more than I wanted to:) I didn't remember seeing any mastering stuff but I could have easily skipped that, it's a very technical and exhausting read. Found the Scarlet Book opened it up and decided to go the lazy route and google search my questions. At the time I was researching the details of the bit word itself and the data packet it is encased in.

So would it safe to assume the CD and SACD layers in a hybrid SACD are from the same source?

I thought they just streamed the tape into DSD of some type and then converted that to PCM and then down to 16:44. When I think of Mastering I think of the person on the console mixing the mics and such, which would have happened when they made the original tape. I guess what you are implying is that they go way back to the original mic recordings, pre-mix, and remix a new stereo master.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

You have to be realistic about this. There are very few recordings released that were originally recorded using dsd or sacd technology. The equipment exists to do this but studios are slow to make such an investment. The vast majority of sacd and dsd are remastered from an original pcm or analog master. Actual recordings made in original sacd do exist and that library is growing slowly. Still, lot of what is available is just remastered. I Have compared the redbook release converted to dsd through HQP and the same release issued as dsd64 and I find little difference. When I upscale the redbook to dsd256 and compare it to the dsd64 release I prefer the HQP version by a small margin.

That's what I was wondering. I'll see if I can carve out some time and run a few tests myself.

I just ordered from Acoustic Sounds their 45 rpm LP which has apparently been created from the analog master tapes. Acoustic Sounds have also created a DSD download from the same tapes, but I am not sure if it is DSD 64 or 128.

the album is Hugh Masekela's Hope Album

i don't have a vinyl rig myself but I will tempting my dealer acquaintances to give the LP a spin and then compare it to HQ Player playing the DSD download upsampled to 11.289 or 12.288 (whichever sounds better) feeding my E20 or their E22 into the same amp and speakers

I guess the major factors in the comparison will be the sound quality of the AD converter used by Acoustic Sounds to create the DSD and of course the SQ of the cartridge, phono stage and the acoustic resonance signature of the turntable and arm

to level the playing field I might request a cartridge + turntable + phono stage limited to Euro 4,000 in cost

i will want to have a needle drop of the LP made. Any suggestions on which DSD recorder could do a good job ?

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

I have heard several SACD rips to DSD and I have been unimpressed the sound quality of all of them. The recent Kind of Blue 24/192 remaster is so much better than the SACD, it makes me wonder how much care was taken when making the SACD

The Kind of Blue 24/192 remaster converted to 11.289 Polysinc DSD 7, sounds so good it's a marvel that we can achieve this kind of SQ from a recording so long ago, for me it's an audio Sistine Chapel moment ;-)

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

I have heard several SACD rips to DSD and I have been unimpressed the sound quality of all of them. The recent Kind of Blue 24/192 remaster is so much better than the SACD, it makes me wonder how much care was taken when making the SACD

The Kind of Blue 24/192 remaster converted to 11.289 Polysinc DSD 7, sounds so good it's a marvel that we can achieve this kind of SQ from a recording so long ago, for me it's an audio Sistine Chapel moment ;-)

Part of the problem with the current crop of sacd is that the dsd encoded is dsd64. They do this to create the widest compatibility with playback equipment in the consumer market. I find also that high res 24bit pcm upscaled with HQP is better.

Part of the problem with the current crop of sacd is that the dsd encoded is dsd64. They do this to create the widest compatibility with playback equipment in the consumer market. I find also that high res 24bit pcm upscaled with HQP is better.

I have heard some Channel Classics DSD64 tracks that when upsampled and remodulated to DSD256 sounded very good. However I have yet to hear a SACD rip that had anywhere near the quality of a Channel Classics DSD 64.

As we so many thing, the devil is in the details !

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

I just ordered from Acoustic Sounds their 45 rpm LP which has apparently been created from the analog master tapes. Acoustic Sounds have also created a DSD download from the same tapes, but I am not sure if it is DSD 64 or 128.

the album is Hugh Masekela's Hope Album

i don't have a vinyl rig myself but I will tempting my dealer acquaintances to give the LP a spin and then compare it to HQ Player playing the DSD download upsampled to 11.289 or 12.288 (whichever sounds better) feeding my E20 or their E22 into the same amp and speakers

I guess the major factors in the comparison will be the sound quality of the AD converter used by Acoustic Sounds to create the DSD and of course the SQ of the cartridge, phono stage and the acoustic resonance signature of the turntable and arm

to level the playing field I might request a cartridge + turntable + phono stage limited to Euro 4,000 in cost

i will want to have a needle drop of the LP made. Any suggestions on which DSD recorder could do a good job ?

I have the Analogue Productions LP 45rpm and to my ears this version is by far the best, period.

Compared to a rip from the cd and a sacd iso played back in Audirvana, haven't got the time yet to convert to dsf and listen with HQP.

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

I have the Analogue Productions LP 45rpm and to my ears this version is by far the best, period.

Compared to a rip from the cd and a sacd iso played back in Audirvana, haven't got the time yet to convert to dsf and listen with HQP.

Checking my order, it's the Analog Productions 45 LP which I have ordered :-)

what's your vinyl rig ?

Sound Test, Monaco

e-mail [email protected]

Checking my order, it's the Analog Productions 45 LP which I have ordered :-)

what's your vinyl rig ?

That's the one to have! Good choice ;)

TT - RBT Uno: Rui Borges Turntables

Tonearm - Reed 3P

Cartridge - Lyra Kleos

Phonostage - Nagra VPS

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

It will be very tough for any digital setup to equal the sound quality of your vinyl rig !

It's not "comparable".

But I do like my digital these days, HQP helped ;)