IGNORED

The Rolling Stones, The Animals, Sam Cooke & Alan Parsons in DSD

Acoustic Sounds released a new Sony Stereo DSD Download today: Alan Parson's "I Robot" from the Arista label. It was not previously available as a SACD disc.

It follows yesterday's release of the first 3 DSD Downloads from ABKCO Records by The Rolling Stones, The Animals & Sam Cooke in DSD.

Alan Parsons - I Robot - DSD Download.png

The Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Sam Cooke-Portrait Of A Legend 1951-1964-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

The Animals-The Animals Retrospective-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

The Alan Parsons Project-I Robot-DSD | Acoustic Sounds

Seeing the Sam Cooke piqued my interest... I'd love to hear from others how these compare to RB being upsampled by the better HQPlayer algorithms.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

ProStudioMasters is now offering Let it Bleed in DSD. 15% of with coupon code IMPECCABLE - expires Midnight Nov. 17. $30 before discount, $25.50 after. So with Discount it's competitive with AS ($24.98)

This is the really good sounding version:

Mastering: Bob Ludwig/Gateway Mastering

DSD Engineer: Gus Skinas

This is really good that more resellers are getting into DSD downloads. I think PSM won't be able to stick to $30 as a price for DSD, as long as AS sells the same stuff for $5 less.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I would have bought "I Robot" in LP, recorded to cassette (Memorex MX Chrome), CD, MFSL LP. All of them suffer either tape hiss, record rumble and gouging of the stylus noises above the music in the beginning of track 1.

The DSD version has none of these artefacts, it's just quiet, only music. Instruments that were mush before are now crystal clear. DSD done well direct from the tape is a very good formula, it just works. Awesome presentation and a masterpiece of progressive rock.

Thank you Gus.

Just buy it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

ProStudioMasters is now offering Let it Bleed in DSD. 15% of with coupon code IMPECCABLE - expires Midnight Nov. 17. $30 before discount, $25.50 after. So with Discount it's competitive with AS ($24.98)

This is really good that more resellers are getting into DSD downloads. I think PSM won't be able to stick to $30 as a price for DSD, as long as AS sells the same stuff for $5 less.

Hmm, wonder how it compares to the HDTracks version.

I would have bought "I Robot" in LP, recorded to cassette (Memorex MX Chrome), CD, MFSL LP. All of them suffer either tape hiss, record rumble and gouging of the stylus noises above the music in the beginning of track 1.

The DSD version has none of these artefacts, it's just quiet, only music. Instruments that were mush before are now crystal clear. DSD done well direct from the tape is a very good formula, it just works. Awesome presentation and a masterpiece of progressive rock.

Thank you Gus.

Just buy it.

That is the down side of buying albums on Vinyl LP - the surface noise, rumble, wear and reduced sound quality of the LP's playback over time. You can skip over all of that with a direct Analog Master Tape to DSD transfer like this one. Excellent!

Oh well, time for ProStudioMasters to lower their prices to compete with Acoustic Sounds! Competition is a good thing.

Hmm, wonder how it compares to the HDTracks version.

The HDT is also very good (it's a downsample from the same DSD master); the DSD sounds a little better.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Oh well, time for ProStudioMasters to lower their prices to compete with Acoustic Sounds! Competition is a good thing.

I am seeing Let it Bleed DSD for 29.98 at Acoustic Sounds so ProStudioMaster with the discount is less expensive (~$25). While I agree that competition is great, site parity is also needed...

ProStudioMaster - Has detailed mastering notes! Awesome!

Acoustic Sounds - Has customer review abilities, equally awesome!

...now if both sites could have the features of the other I would be happy :)

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Really interesting, yesterday it was 24.98 for the DSD, which is their usual price for DSD albums. I think 29.98 might be a mistake. Someone should write and ask.

I am seeing Let it Bleed DSD for 29.98 at Acoustic Sounds so ProStudioMaster with the discount is less expensive (~$25). While I agree that competition is great, site parity is also needed...

Really interesting, yesterday it was 24.98 for the DSD, which is their usual price for DSD albums. I think 29.98 might be a mistake. Someone should write and ask.

It pays to shop when they first are released!

As for Pro Studio Masters, it's curious that ABKCO didn't list them as a place where the DSD downloads were available. Only Acoustic Sounds was mentioned by the label on Facebook and Twitter as the place to get the DSD editions.

I just pulled the trigger with ProStudio @ $25 I try to spread around my purchases so we get many companies supplying hidef audio in the future.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

It pays to shop when they first are released!

As for Pro Studio Masters, it's curious that ABKCO didn't list them as a place where the DSD downloads were available. Only Acoustic Sounds was mentioned by the label on Facebook and Twitter as the place to get the DSD editions.

Maybe PSM is getting the files from a distributor and not from ABKCO.

I just pulled the trigger with ProStudio @ $25 I try to spread around my purchases so we get many companies supplying hidef audio in the future.

+1

Are you referring to the pdf files included on the file purchase. I just noticed that ProStudioMasters includes this on lots of their items. This is missing from the same albums on HDTracks. I really like liner notes.

Sony HAP Z1ES, Portal Panache Integrated, Penaudio Rebel2+Chara, Grado HF-1, Nottingham Horizon TT, Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CD