IGNORED

Linux-based End-to-End Music Server

atreyu

I have been using i2s out of PiCoreplayer on a RaspPi

piCorePlayer? great, just what I needed, another cool, stream-line OS option to consider...

4est,

According to the website's description of the product, it is an LMS/Squeezebox Player only, not an LMS server. You have to point it to an LMS server. I don't know much about LMS...is this how you use it? I would prefer to have a single box/PC that is responsible for serving the music.

And if you can simply install LMS onto the host running piCorePlayer, then why wouldn't the piCorePlayer come like that, or at least be configurable that way?

Does anyone have thoughts on the power supply for the audio PC? I have read in several places about the importance of using a power supply that does not generate too much background/white noise, as that can interfere with the audio playback. This points me towards a linear power supply, with low ripple, versus a switching (or other, non-linear) power supply, which might be more efficient, but is less than ideal, acoustically.

Is worrying about this overkill for me? I don't mind spending the extra few bucks to do this right, so if it is worth it, are there any recommendations (keeping in mind a BBB/RPi type of device, so say 5V ⎓ 1.2A-2A)?

Bonus for Micro-USB connection.

Does anyone have thoughts on the power supply for the audio PC? I have read in several places about the importance of using a power supply that does not generate too much background/white noise, as that can interfere with the audio playback. This points me towards a linear power supply, with low ripple, versus a switching (or other, non-linear) power supply, which might be more efficient, but is less than ideal, acoustically.

Is worrying about this overkill for me? I don't mind spending the extra few bucks to do this right, so if it is worth it, are there any recommendations (keeping in mind a BBB/RPi type of device, so say 5V ⎓ 1.2A-2A)?

Bonus for Micro-USB connection.

I have been using an inexpensive ($52 plus shipping) linear power supply (click link) from China with my CuBox-i4Pro.

I didn't really do any tests (A/B) with the Cubox's wall wart so can't comment on SQ improvements.

sorry, missed this before. Chris, do you have any links or details regarding this? I'm curious - but not too concerned - about flawed USB (esp if I'm using an I2S-based DAC), but the HiFiBerry/MPD/Sample rate issue sounds like a show-stopper.

It was a showstopper for me. Here is the link - > https://www.hifiberry.com/forums/topic/digi-sample-rate-issue/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It was a showstopper for me. Here is the link - > https://www.hifiberry.com/forums/topic/digi-sample-rate-issue/

jc, did you try oskar's work-around to use an earlier kernel (<=3.12.26)?

Interestingly, I see that my recently installed OSMC/RaspBMC image is running 3.12.26+, whereas my freshly installed Raspbian image is running 3.12.28+ ... of course, I do not have a DAC on either one, so I can't test anything myself...

@atreyu

linux is best fitted for a headless server with a separate controler thru ios/android app or web page

the solution depends on your linux skills:

A. you can use ssh console and follow a simple how to - go for basic debian testing and custom install of mpd or logitech squeeze box

B. you need mouse - try to find a dedicated distribution for your HW

my system

x64 - hdplex case with core i3. only cpu, ram, memory / fanless, headless, no hdd attached. debian jessie, boots from network. only alsa and mpd installed. Previously I used voyage mpd, booted from usb stick. and when my little one needs it I boot openelec for movies and youtube :)

ARM - BBB - best in class for audio - cheap, low consumption (cheaper power supply), and able to play all the common hires from NAS without problems. Looking forward for I2S reclocker from twisted pear.

wandboard quad - a lot of cpu horse power (able to upsample till 192kHz with SOX), a little bit power hungry and no premade mpd based audio distribution only squezee box.

cubietruck - bougt it for I2S output, but is not worth without a reclocker board

cubox - the nicest visual presentation as it comes as a very small box :) it is suported by volumio if I remember corectly.

For ARMs I prefer only mpd and alsa because they have limited cpu processing power and I prefer to spare it.

If I understand correctly the latest raspberrypi version was supposed to solve eth/usb irq share and the consequent USB DAC poor performance.

Botom line BBB + twisted pear reclocker + a I2S DAC may be a winner in long term, in short term I love my BBB - USBtoI2S converter + I2S DAC :) and x64 - USB DAC combo

thanks for the input, Dynobot. Did you find that the BBB's additional horsepower (1GHz vs 700-800Mhz CPU, 512MB vs 384MB RAM) came in handy, or not? FWIW, my setup will *not* include using the audio PC as a desktop machine.

Hi

To be honest, there was not much of a difference. There was zero difference in sound and perhaps a barely noticeable difference in response to searching....I'm talking probably milliseconds, to the point of really being meaningless.

However, having tried out different CPU throttling with various boards and CPU's I did find that higher is not always better in terms of sound. For example, with my Atom boards I usually tune them back to about 800Mhz anyway....to my ears it sounds smoother.

I went in and did some more tweaks to Volumio. The software comes with a few built in tuning profiles which users can select. Looking behind the scenes the file kills a bunch of processes, does some Ethernet tweaking, CPU throttling, and Kernel level modifications. I made some different Kernel level modifications based on what I found at IBM's web site for tuning Linux. In addition, I added some stuff to increase the priority of MPD and the task which schedules interrupts, along with some other minor stuff. To my ears, the result was a better soundstage, clearer vocals and at the same time a more relaxed sound with deeper lows.

FWIW

I also have a Mini-Itx board with i7 processor and 16g of RAM. Like cmiu, I use Debian with MPD, no hard drive, hdplex ATX power supply which is powered by a custom linear power supply.

Having said all that....after I started using the BBB I now use the other set up as a desktop computer running Linux.

Thanks for your posts, Dynobot.

So are you saying you prefer the sound of the BBB to your I7 PC setup?

I've always thought, maybe mistakenly, that the ARM processors, while less expensive and in many ways more convenient, were not the sonic equal of a well tweaked PC with proper internal, cables, USB card, etc.

What do you think?

Joel

Thanks for your posts, Dynobot.

So are you saying you prefer the sound of the BBB to your I7 PC setup?

I've always thought, maybe mistakenly, that the ARM processors, while less expensive and in many ways more convenient, were not the sonic equal of a well tweaked PC with proper internal, cables, USB card, etc.

What do you think?

Joel

Using the more is better philosophy one might think a super computer with all the trimmings sounds better than a lowly ARM processor powered by a simple linear/regulated wall wart.

I think that average Audiophile can convince themselves anything that costs more sounds better. If I sat sound and analyzed sound for a few days comparing my i7 rig to the BBB I could probably come up with some pluses and minuses. But if I sit down and listen to music, I can not rightly say my i7 rig provides more musical enjoyment. At nearly 1K I really, really wanted the i7 rig to be my crowned jewel front-end, I surely didn't need another computer.

Just my .02

To be honest, there was not much of a difference. There was zero difference in sound and perhaps a barely noticeable difference in response to searching....I'm talking probably milliseconds, to the point of really being meaningless.
that's what i suspected, thanks for confirming.

However, having tried out different CPU throttling with various boards and CPU's I did find that higher is not always better in terms of sound. For example, with my Atom boards I usually tune them back to about 800Mhz anyway....to my ears it sounds smoother.
now *that* is interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

I went in and did some more tweaks to Volumio. The software comes with a few built in tuning profiles which users can select. Looking behind the scenes the file kills a bunch of processes, does some Ethernet tweaking, CPU throttling, and Kernel level modifications. I made some different Kernel level modifications based on what I found at IBM's web site for tuning Linux. In addition, I added some stuff to increase the priority of MPD and the task which schedules interrupts, along with some other minor stuff. To my ears, the result was a better soundstage, clearer vocals and at the same time a more relaxed sound with deeper lows.

did you document all these changes and mods you made? might come in handy if they were all to be found in one easy-to-digest place...

btw, i read your "Computer Audio" write-up (in your sig) - nice work, sounds like you've spent a lot of time on this stuff!

linux is best fitted for a headless server with a separate controler thru ios/android app or web page
agreed, that's my goal.

the solution depends on your linux skills:
i got root...

only alsa and mpd installed.

yeah, i like the sound of that!

when my little one needs it I boot openelec for movies and youtube

yeah, i use RaspBMC/OSMC - love 'em!

cubox - the nicest visual presentation as it comes as a very small box :) it is suported by volumio if I remember corectly.

yeah, it does. i have a feeling it is the guts of the new OSMC-based Vero

If I understand correctly the latest raspberrypi version was supposed to solve eth/usb irq share and the consequent USB DAC poor performance.

yeah, that's what i've read too, but I've also read that, with the B+, they changed from linear to switching regulators, which makes me a little nervous, acoustically speaking.

Botom line BBB + twisted pear reclocker + a I2S DAC may be a winner in long term, in short term I love my BBB - USBtoI2S converter + I2S DAC :) and x64 - USB DAC combo

another vote for BBB, cool! thanks.

Hi,

I'm a Linux nerd, new to CA and just getting my Audiophile feet wet. I have a project in mind and could use some pointers, I have many questions.

I used squeezebox server and squeezelite on ubuntu. It's simple and works brilliantly for me. I've got the Qobuz plugin for steaming, BBC iPlayer for listening to Radio 3.

MY music 'server' is running on an old net-top PC. I tried using a PI but there's simple not enough CPU cycles available for squeezelite.

I've got an Ayre QB-9 plugged into the PC via USB 2.0 port. Squeezelite uses alsa usb out. My music library is NFS mounted onto the box.

There's a great android app called 'squeezer' that controls the squeezebox.

Neil[br]----------------------------------------------[br]Guarani Momento - QB9 - CX-7E - Logos

I tried using a PI but there's simple not enough CPU cycles available for squeezelite

that surprises me, though i believe you. i've read that the LMS server can even run on a Raspberry, much less the clients, without a problem. Is there anything about your specific setup or usage that might contribute your issue?

Anyone tried one of those new Odroid C1 boards?

Pollin.de (Europe) doesn't seem to have them yet...

Should be a very interesting board.

I'm currently using RasPi B+, but the problem, like with all RasPis, is the SD card... susceptible to data corruption in case of brownouts, etc.

This one (Odroid C1) in combination with eMMC memory module could be a real winner...

I guess the existing I2C DACs (e.g. hifiberry and others) could work with this board - depending on the distro used...

Anyone tried one of those new Odroid C1 boards?

Pollin.de (Europe) doesn't seem to have them yet...

Should be a very interesting board.

I'm currently using RasPi B+, but the problem, like with all RasPis, is the SD card... susceptible to data corruption in case of brownouts, etc.

This one (Odroid C1) in combination with eMMC memory module could be a real winner...

I guess the existing I2C DACs (e.g. hifiberry and others) could work with this board - depending on the distro used...

Any idea where to purchase an eMMC module to fit this board?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

have you measured the output of your PS, to ensure that it is not dipping below the req'd spec? see the below vid on that.

I'm using 5V/2A (or even 3A) power supplies, so it's not a problem of underrated PS.

The problem is with interrupted SD card writes in case of premature power turn off.

I'm careful with my RasPi, so no problems here - but I've made a couple of servers for others, and I always have to warn them about proper shutdown procedure: first do the software "shutdown", and then wait 30 secs, and only then pull the power... :(

And you know how other people are like: this is the first thing they'll mess up... Besides, in case of power blackout or even brownout, the RPi will reset, sometimes (not always) corrupting the SD card.

The only (expensive and complicated) solution is to provide some kind of UPS power for the Pi.... not really practical :(

I'm using 5V/2A (or even 3A) power supplies, so it's not a problem of underrated PS.

The problem is with interrupted SD card writes in case of premature power turn off.

I'm careful with my RasPi, so no problems here - but I've made a couple of servers for others, and I always have to warn them about proper shutdown procedure: first do the software "shutdown", and then wait 30 secs, and only then pull the power... :(

And you know how other people are like: this is the first thing they'll mess up... Besides, in case of power blackout or even brownout, the RPi will reset, sometimes (not always) corrupting the SD card.

The only (expensive and complicated) solution is to provide some kind of UPS power for the Pi.... not really practical :(

oh, yeah, power failure, right.

there is always piCorePlayer, or mpdPup (abandoned) for running OS in RAM...