IGNORED

Herbie Hancock - Crossings HDTracks

I downloaded it and will play it tonight. Sorry, but no spectrogram.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I've had the Warner albums "Crossings" and "Mwandishi" on digipak remasters from the early 2000s and recently got the earlier 2CD "Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings" from 1994. The 2CD collection has better sound than the remasters, with a more natural EQ and higher dynamics (although the remasters also have acceptable DR values).

I suppose the HDtracks download comes from the new "The Warner Bros. Years 1969-1972" collection. I haven't read any comments so far on how it sounds in comparision.

The Warner Bros. Years 1969-1972 - Herbie Hancock | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

I've been disappointed with some other Warner remasters as well, such as the Miles Davis albums, which are a disgrace (flat sound with a heavy midrange boost), so I'm not taking any risks with this one.

Claude

I've had the Warner albums "Crossings" and "Mwandishi" on digipak remasters from the early 2000s and recently got the earlier 2CD "Mwandishi: The Complete Warner Bros. Recordings" from 1994. The 2CD collection has better sound than the remasters, with a more natural EQ and higher dynamics (although the remasters also have acceptable DR values).

I suppose the HDtracks download comes from the new "The Warner Bros. Years 1969-1972" collection. I haven't read any comments so far on how it sounds in comparision.

The Warner Bros. Years 1969-1972 - Herbie Hancock | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic

I've been disappointed with some other Warner remasters as well, such as the Miles Davis albums, which are a disgrace (flat sound with a heavy midrange boost), so I'm not taking any risks with this one.

The 2014 Warner Bros. Years collection on CD contains the 2001 remasters plus previously unreleased material.

I listened to it (192/24) once and it sounds good. The DR (according to JRiver) values are 10, 12 and 11 (Sleeping Giant, Quasar and Water Torture). The DR values for the original Warner Bros. set are 12, 12 and 13 respectively. The DR values for the Warner Bros. Masters CD (using the Dynamic Range application) are 10, 8 and 11. Past experiments indicate that the two company's measurements produce the same results.

So it seems that the download album may be somewhat equivalent to the Warner Bros. Masters CD.

IIRC the download offers more detail and air but the original Warner Bros. set sounds a tad more relaxed.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.