IGNORED

24/96 streaming from Synology?

fritzg

Does Synology stream 24/96 to it's iOS apps? Can these play those files using the USB connection trick? My DAC doesn't show what is coming in to it, any software (or hardware) solution out these to see what is leaving my iOS device and going into my DAC?

Thanks in advance.

The media server (DSM5.1) will do up to 24/192 and some form of DSD (I don't which). Of course you need an appropriate renderer and DAC. I don't know about USB.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

The media server (DSM5.1) will do up to 24/192 and some form of DSD (I don't which). Of course you need an appropriate renderer and DAC. I don't know about USB.

Is Synology's own DS Audio for iOS an appropriate renderer? What other iOS apps or Mac apps do folks use to render HD streams from DSM5.1?

And if you don't mind, where did you find this info? Is it documented somewhere? I have been searching for weeks . . .

DS Audio is great and easy to have access to your songs on phones, pads etc. But it does transcode.

For the non-transcoding and 24 bit files the Synology Media Server program is the way to go.

Jriver using Jremote as controller is good. PlugPlayer is a decent controller as well.

DS Audio is great and easy to have access to your songs on phones, pads etc. But it does transcode.

For the non-transcoding and 24 bit files the Synology Media Server program is the way to go.

Jriver using Jremote as controller is good. PlugPlayer is a decent controller as well.

Thanks, tranz. Tell me more about options for the Mac and iOS to stream (over wifi) 24 bit files from Synology. I'm also interested in other options as it seems this is an expensive solution (not with my old $50 2005 mac mini, but that will soon be very obsolete).

fg

Chris had written a great article on DLNA which shows you many of the options.

Running the inbuilt Media Server on Synology is the easiest. Turn off transcoding in the options. Minimserver can also be installed on Synology but some have had Java issues with it.

Running Jriver on the Mac with the DLNA settings set to no transcoding, no Audio formatting and controlling the library playback through JRemote is pretty slick. It takes a bit of time setting JRiver up the first time as there are many options.

If your DAC accepts DSD native or via DoP also requires a few JRiver settings.

If you don't have a NAS, you can use JRiver and JRemote still and have files on your Mac or external drive bay.

Don't forget the excellent free music dedicated MinimServer UPnP media server runs on Mac, Windows and Linux computers too! Just needs to be told where the music files are stored and nothing else to get it going without transcoding, by default. Of course it still requires the Java runtime to be installed on the computer - though not such an issue as it can be for some NASs.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Chris had written a great article on DLNA which shows you many of the options.

Running the inbuilt Media Server on Synology is the easiest. Turn off transcoding in the options. Minimserver can also be installed on Synology but some have had Java issues with it.

Running Jriver on the Mac with the DLNA settings set to no transcoding, no Audio formatting and controlling the library playback through JRemote is pretty slick. It takes a bit of time setting JRiver up the first time as there are many options.

Can you point me to Chris' article? Is it on this site?

Based on my own research and lots of trial and error, this is what I've done so far: I built a local a JRiver local library connecting to my Synology via the Mac's built-in file sharing where all the music is stored. What advantages does using the media server on Synology give me? I assume in that case I don't create a local library with JRiver and connect using the NAS library that appears in JRiver. I tried doing that and I think I abandoned it because it didn't seem to be recognizing the metadata too well, especially with albums of more than one disc. Maybe that has been fixed with DSM5.1

Thanks.

Try this link. I cannot get the website to work on my phone any longer but it might work for you:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content.php?r=524-The-Complete-Guide-To-HiFi-UPnP-DLNA-Network-Audio

In your case you do not need the Media Server nor DLNA setup at all. JRiver just sees the NAS as a library location. Perfect.

The DLNA setup comes in handy if you do not want the Mac on and yet still play music to your phone for example. Or if you have a renderer with which to bypass the Mac; in which case you do not need JRiver. In another thread we had asked whether JRiver would create a Linux version to run on a NAS, but that is not planned at this point

My hope is on a LAN input to the DAC where I can do just that, bypass the Mac, bypass USB and bypass SPDIF.