IGNORED

Lumin A1 vs. Sony HAP Z1 ES

I need some help here- been trying to make a decision b/w Lumin A1 and either ModWright, or Red Wine Audio Sony HAP Z1 ES.

First, I've been wondering, if anyone here has had a chance to compare Lumin to either of the modified Sony's in the same system.

Sound quality is my main concern in making this decision.

Also, since I'm not computer- savvy, to say the least, simplicity of integration and day-to -day use is also a consideration.

I would like to hear from you guys your experiences, and also your thoughts on these 3 products.

My system is:

Avantgarde Duo Omega G2

Lamm ML2

Tron Syren Ultimate

Verdier La Platine TT

Graham Phantom Supreme

Lyra Kleos

ModWright Denon 3910

Appreciate your help

That is interesting nobody has neither experience, nor opinion on Lumin A1 vs. modified Sony HAP-Z 1ES.

To me, they seem like top otions for someone (like myself) getting into computer audio and shopping in that price range.

I do appreciate though, that there are probably not too many modified Sony units in the public hands yet.

The Sony isn't a network streamer, unlike the Lumin, so the OP isn't comparing like with like anyway!

"Sound quality is my main concern in making this decision"...

it's a legitimate position.

Me, I would separate functionality (hot to select music, manage playlist and play) from sound (what dac, how is implemented)...

The Sony isn't a network streamer, unlike the Lumin, so the OP isn't comparing like with like anyway!

Strictly speaking it's not, but I don't see how the difference would preclude one to consider both as an option, and to compare.

As an example, you wouldn't discuss relative merits of 12AX7 based phono stage vs. 6h30 one?

I own both the lumin A1 and the standard HAP-Z1ES.

Clearly, the sound quality between the two, the Lumin A1 is superior, in terms of pinpoint soundstage accuracy and darkness. And for the ease of use, again, Lumin A1 is better.

The problem with the Sony is the transfer of your music content to the player, it is EXTREMELY slow and sometimes I got duplicate copies of the same CD even though I placed single copy of everything into the designated HAP folder on my PC. It is a pain.

However, for the Lumin, I use JRiver DLNA server on my PC and use JRemote on my iPad to select the track for playback on the A1. Contents can be updated almost instantly. SACD ISO (DSD) works fine with the Lumin with JRiver.

It is so good that I upgraded to the Lumin S1.

(Audio)

I own both the lumin A1 and the standard HAP-Z1ES.

Clearly, the sound quality between the two, the Lumin A1 is superior, in terms of pinpoint soundstage accuracy and darkness. And for the ease of use, again, Lumin A1 is better.

The problem with the Sony is the transfer of your music content to the player, it is EXTREMELY slow and sometimes I got duplicate copies of the same CD even though I placed single copy of everything into the designated HAP folder on my PC. It is a pain.

However, for the Lumin, I use JRiver DLNA server on my PC and use JRemote on my iPad to select the track for playback on the A1. Contents can be updated almost instantly. SACD ISO (DSD) works fine with the Lumin with JRiver.

It is so good that I upgraded to the Lumin S1.

(Audio)

Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience. I suspected that to be the case, though I think comparison b/w Lumin A1 and stock Sony is very fair. Modified units would probably narrow the gap.

But the convinience of use is something, that is very important to me, as well.

How would you compare S1 to A1 ( I read 6 moons review, but still would like to hear your opinion).

And how much S1 retails for?

The last question- what NAS are you using/

Best

I have had the Sony Z1 for a while and just love it. Is there ever a chance to audition a Lumin? The dealer near me has a vigorous no-return policy.

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

Hi, Thank you for sharing your experience. I suspected that to be the case, though I think comparison b/w Lumin A1 and stock Sony is very fair. Modified units would probably narrow the gap.

But the convinience of use is something, that is very important to me, as well.

How would you compare S1 to A1 ( I read 6 moons review, but still would like to hear your opinion).

And how much S1 retails for?

The last question- what NAS are you using/

Best

Ever since the S1 had been installed onto the main rack, I have not switch on the A1 at all. The S1 is a different animal, better resolution, more texture to the music. I believe it is going for US$15K, quite a steep increase from the A1, whether it is worth it or not, that's depends.

By the way, I just upgrade the firmware of my PS-Audio Directstream 1.2.1 last night and OMG, the performance of both Lumin S1 and PS-Audio DS (Using Bridge Card) are very close.

I am using a Fanless PC with a i7-4770 CPU, 32GB rams, Asus Maximus Gene IV (97 chipset), M2 256GB OS drive, 4 X Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD under Raid 5; running JRiver MC20 (DLNA) with Windows Server 2012 OS optimized with Audiophile Optimizer 1.30 (GUI mode). I choose not to run from NAS because I felt the PC offer more CPU performance over the NAS CPU and JRiver on the PC allows me to play all my SACD ISO files. The iPad remote control for JRiver, JRemote, is fast and respond very well to the touch.

Regnad, if I were you, I will carry my HAP-Z1ES to the dealer and compare it with the Lumin at the dealer's rack before you buy. :)

(Audio)

Ever since the S1 had been installed onto the main rack, I have not switch on the A1 at all. The S1 is a different animal, better resolution, more texture to the music. I believe it is going for US$15K, quite a steep increase from the A1, whether it is worth it or not, that's depends.

By the way, I just upgrade the firmware of my PS-Audio Directstream 1.2.1 last night and OMG, the performance of both Lumin S1 and PS-Audio DS (Using Bridge Card) are very close.

I am using a Fanless PC with a i7-4770 CPU, 32GB rams, Asus Maximus Gene IV (97 chipset), M2 256GB OS drive, 4 X Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD under Raid 5; running JRiver MC20 (DLNA) with Windows Server 2012 OS optimized with Audiophile Optimizer 1.30 (GUI mode). I choose not to run from NAS because I felt the PC offer more CPU performance over the NAS CPU and JRiver on the PC allows me to play all my SACD ISO files. The iPad remote control for JRiver, JRemote, is fast and respond very well to the touch.

Regnad, if I were you, I will carry my HAP-Z1ES to the dealer and compare it with the Lumin at the dealer's rack before you buy. :)

(Audio)

Thank you again. I was kind of expecting you liking S1 more, than A1, but you are right about the pricing.

I'm hesitant to pay double $$, compared to A1.

I wonder how much custom PS unit for A1 from Hong Kong (Kenneth Lau) improves it's performance.

Also, it'll be interseting to see some new competing products coming out.