IGNORED

Pure Music 2.0

RayBan

I just looked at the Channel-D page and saw 2.0. Anyone using it?

I have an older Mini modified by MACH 2 years ago and suspect I should upgrade to at least Maverics and go to the new PM.

Any advice?

This is a big jump up in sound quality. Especially without iTunes integration. Best I have experienced.

Rob is working on some new features. Not sure all, but ISO file play and conversion is one.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

I use Pure Music 2.0 with the latest version of iTunes 12.xxxx on a mid-2011 iMac with i7 3.4ghz chip set feeding a iFi Nano and then on to my system.

I am very impressed with Rob's latest release. It seems more stable. The SQ seems to have reach a point where differences to me from the software are more subtle than differences in resolution and sources.

The only nit I have sent to Rob is that after playing a DoP DSF file and going back to PCM in the playlist you have to reset upsampling to turn it back on.

Also if you are archiving and transcribing vinyl to digital Rob's upgrade to Pure Music 4.0 is a big step up in convenience. I am still learning the nuances of this software and will have more to report after gaining more experience. The big differences here are turntable and cartridge and related setup, much more so than DAC, resolution, etc.

I look forward to additional features Rob adds to either program.

Well, I upgraded to 2.0 for $130 (no credit for the 2 licenses I had already paid for) and now the volume goes up and down for no reason. I can see the iTunes slider moving but don't know why.

I have had this system since 2012 and only PM changed and of course, iTunes upgrades,

Anyone have a similar problem?

Regards,[br]Ray

Did you speak with someone at Channel D about the upgrade and credit for previous licenses? I vaguely remember some language about switching serial numbers that required contacting for upgrades.

I have had no problem with volume sliders. On start of PM, iTunes slider is moved to max and then the PM slider is now a relative slider. Neither slider works with DoP DSD output which is controlled by DAC or preamp.

Well, I upgraded to 2.0 for $130 (no credit for the 2 licenses I had already paid for) and now the volume goes up and down for no reason. I can see the iTunes slider moving but don't know why.

I have had this system since 2012 and only PM changed and of course, iTunes upgrades,

I haven't had any similar problems on my 2011 or 2013 MBP laptops. I don't believe I upgraded to iTunes 12 until I got the 2013 MBP however. Anyway, for me, this has been the smoothest operating version of PM I've had so far.

I'd suggest contacting Channel D including info on your Mac and iTunes configuration and DAC.

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

R

The upgrade should be cheaper. I let them know I was a user of PM and PV. Seems like it was 79 for upgrading both.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

PM2 is still a great sounding app - it is my player of choice on 2010 MacMini, including the usual others like Amarra, A+, etc.

I can't say I've noticed an appreciable change in sound with the upgrade, but that's OK for me since there's not much I'd change from prior versions anyway.

There are a couple of annoyances that I hope are fixed soon that bug me (and were not present in PM1.x):

- gapless with DSD remains a problem. This has been promised to be fixed since the initial release.

- with Native Integer Mode enabled, there's an annoying bug that results in auto-playback of whatever track is selected in iTunes when you first launch PM2 - sometimes causing other weird playback issues like wrong speed and inability to select other tracks for playback.

In going thru the release notes, many of the items are improvements and fixes - there isn't much new in the UI except the main window, the preferences remain challenging to navigate. I was hoping for some improvement in DSD playback that allowed for bookmarks to be added to iTunes without disabling organizational preferences in iTunes, like A+1.5.x

No hesitation in encouraging anyone to upgrade, although I'm not sure it's as much of a full version upgrade rather than incremental (more like 1.9) - of course understanding that many features are "under the hood"

Michael

- with Native Integer Mode enabled, there's an annoying bug that results in auto-playback of whatever track is selected in iTunes when you first launch PM2 - sometimes causing other weird playback issues like wrong speed and inability to select other tracks for playback.

I always use integer mode but have never experienced this. Have you had this occur ever since the update or something new with iTunes 12? Has Rob confirmed that this is a known issue?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I always use integer mode but have never experienced this. Have you had this occur ever since the update or something new with iTunes 12? Has Rob confirmed that this is a known issue?

This first occurred after the PM2 upgrade - and I have remained on iTunes 10.7 and experienced this both while running Snow Leopard and also Mavericks.

I had a session with Rob several weeks ago about this as well as other issues. He is the one that told me the auto-play problem was due to Integer Mode being enabled - it sometimes also occurs when PM2 adds DSD bookmarks, which Rob also acknowledged.

It only occurs when PM2 first launches if iTunes is open, but for me happens every time - never occurred in PM1.x

Michael

This first occurred after the PM2 upgrade - and I have remained on iTunes 10.7 and experienced this both while running Snow Leopard and also Mavericks.

I had a session with Rob several weeks ago about this as well as other issues. He is the one that told me the auto-play problem was due to Integer Mode being enabled - it sometimes also occurs when PM2 adds DSD bookmarks, which Rob also acknowledged.

It only occurs when PM2 first launches if iTunes is open, but for me happens every time - never occurred in PM1.x

Thanks for the info. I think that we are due for an update with bug fixes (please).

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond