IGNORED

Building first CA system

OK, diving into the CA world for the first time. :)

The general goal, if oversimplified, is to control my stereo from my iPad. The devil is in the details, and I've been researching different options until my head hurts. :)

Pieces I have so far:

-iPad

-Arcam rDAC

-NAD integrated amp

-OPPO BDP93

-PSB Synchrony 2B

Question 1:

DLNA vs some flavor of Logitech Media Server. Which has better software for an iPad?

Question 2:

Storage. I'd rather not buy a dedicated computer, but maybe an older Mac Mini would work. Or a basic Synology NAS.

Question 3:

How to feed the rDAC through its optical input:

- Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry Digi + piCorePlayer ?

- Some flavor of SqueezeBox?

- Some flavor of SoundBridge?

Thanks in advance!

Rick

Raspberry Pi B+, HiFi Digi+ with galvanic isolation to SPDIF of Arcam rDAC. MBP with Win7, LMS, and Tidal. iPad with iPeng. NAD amp, PSB Synchrony 2B.

As you mention Raspberry Pi ... I would look at the piCorePlayer option.

I'm assuming you have some form of computer currently, install Logitech Media Server on there as an initial solution; later you can look at a NAS.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

As you mention Raspberry Pi ... I would look at the piCorePlayer option.

I'm assuming you have some form of computer currently, install Logitech Media Server on there as an initial solution; later you can look at a NAS.

If I buy a dedicated PC (don't have a spare one at the moment) then I assume it would live permanently next to the rDAC (I've heard the USB connection sounds best) on the other side of the room, and I can control it from the comfort of my couch with the iPad?

No advantage to buying a NAS instead of a PC? Or a CAPS?

Raspberry Pi B+, HiFi Digi+ with galvanic isolation to SPDIF of Arcam rDAC. MBP with Win7, LMS, and Tidal. iPad with iPeng. NAD amp, PSB Synchrony 2B.

If I buy a dedicated PC (don't have a spare one at the moment) then I assume it would live permanently next to the rDAC (I've heard the USB connection sounds best) on the other side of the room, and I can control it from the comfort of my couch with the iPad?

Thats true.

No advantage to buying a NAS instead of a PC? Or a CAPS?

Well the CAPS is just a PC designed as a music player. Generally Chris' CAPS design avoid internal storage and CD ripping but you could build a device similar to the CAPS and add a 1 or 2TB 2.5" HDD.

The advantage of the NAS is that it removes the storage from the music player both for electronic and physical noise.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.