IGNORED

Resolution Audio Cantata

Hi first of all wanted to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Yonatan Robaina,from the Canary Islands, and I want to start in the streamer, and I have some doubts about this great player Resolution Audio Cantata in this configuration:

cantata4 con Nas.jpg

First, I wonder if the connection to a Nas without connecting another computer is possible, and play with the Ipad Muscia Nas

Secondly I would like to know if you can place a single router for streamer isolated from other routers

Third, I wonder if the settings of the Cantata is very difficult ?, the system will be using the following settings.

Nas, Router, Cantata, Ipad, is this the best configuration for the Resolution Audio?

thank you very much for your help, I read a lot the forum , and you are extremely professional, there is a lot of information on streamers, and so I ask for help with this magnificent system Cantata.

My best regards

Yonatan

• 3 months later...

Hello Yonatan,

I think you will find more answers on this topic.

I can't answer in regards to the using a Mac, since I use a PC.

Good luck

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Hi first of all wanted to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Yonatan Robaina,from the Canary Islands

First, I wonder if the connection to a Nas without connecting another computer is possible, and play with the Ipad Muscia Nas

Secondly I would like to know if you can place a single router for streamer isolated from other routers

Nas, Router, Cantata, Ipad, is this the best configuration

Hi Yonatan,

first of all welcome to the CA community.

Personally I do not own a Cantata System but like it very much and have played with it on several occasions at hifi shows.

A few of your questions are generic to streaming and computer-hifi, so let me allow to throw in a few comments.

First, Yes, you can use the NAS and the Cantata without a computer to listen to music.

However, the NAS needs to be filled with music, and this is normally done using a computer or via one of the available USB ports of your NAS.

For music playback, no computer is needed as the Cantata pulls the music files directly from the web using the ethernet connection.

Second, yes, you can setup a dedicated local "music network" with a second router, your NAS, the Cantata, your iPad (to control), without the original network of yours, connected to the web, and including your computer.

If you would simply switch the NAS connection from the music network to the general network you would be able to load, edit, delete files onto your NAS easily with your computer, and with switching the ethernet connection back to the music network router it wiuld become available there for your Cantata.

Third I cannot answer, as I do not own a Cantata myself, but the operation through a iPad looks to me like the most logical solution.

Hi Yonatan,

first of all welcome to the CA community.

Personally I do not own a Cantata System but like it very much and have played with it on several occasions at hifi shows.

A few of your questions are generic to streaming and computer-hifi, so let me allow to throw in a few comments.

First, Yes, you can use the NAS and the Cantata without a computer to listen to music.

However, the NAS needs to be filled with music, and this is normally done using a computer or via one of the available USB ports of your NAS.

For music playback, no computer is needed as the Cantata pulls the music files directly from the web using the ethernet connection.

I'm sorry, but this first answer is incorrect. The Cantata is a renderer, which means that he needs a server in order to play the files. Unless you use the tablet as a renderer, too (which is not the best solution, since space is limited) you will need a computer that works as a server or a NAS that can work as a server, too. QNAP and Synology have options to install Minimserver.

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I'm sorry, but this first answer is incorrect. The Cantata is a renderer, which means that he needs a server in order to play the files. Unless you use the tablet as a renderer, too (which is not the best solution, since space is limited) you will need a computer that works as a server or a NAS that can work as a renderer, too. QNAP and Synology have options to install Minimserver.

Hi reverendo,

no objection regarding your comment, but I was assuming that he is/will be using a NAS which has a server software installed.

Looking at todays offers of Synology, Qnap, Buffalo, WD et al I think we can assume that this would be the typical case.

I don't know US situation, but here in EU (all?) NAS drives come equipped with some sort of server software (Twonky, ...)

And yes, I also do agree that Minimserver is maybe the most versatile, but don't forget depending on the chosen hardware this is either an additional installation outside of the supplied standard package centers and needs at least some specific IT knowledge above standard computer user level.

Hi reverendo,

no objection regarding your comment, but I was assuming that he is/will be using a NAS which has a server software installed.

Looking at todays offers of Synology, Qnap, Buffalo, WD et al I think we can assume that this would be the typical case.

I don't know US situation, but here in EU (all?) NAS drives come equipped with some sort of server software (Twonky, ...)

And yes, I also do agree that Minimserver is maybe the most versatile, but don't forget depending on the chosen hardware this is either an additional installation outside of the supplied standard package centers and needs at least some specific IT knowledge above standard computer user level.

I understand. I just mentioned it since my RAID, a Drobo, doesn't have that option with minimserver. And I agree that having it internally is another step that the standard individual might find difficult.

Sorry for OT!

Well, my Synology DS413 runs Minimserver as well, but its not included in the standard DS package which Synology offers here in EU, even with latest OS version (called DSM).

To install I wentbto manual Java and Minim install routines following the great Minimserver support site.

However, for a CA newbie like the OP I would not recommend to do so unless he/she has some IT expertise.

But thank you for the comment, always good to see that CA members are carefully watching so that real,information is being transferred, instead of rumours. This is one of the reasons why I like this site.