IGNORED

So where's all the Pono comments?

kirkmc

Just received my Pono (one of the Herbie Hancock LEs) and will report how it sounds against my iFi Nano.

Actually, this turned out harder to do than I thought. The iFi Nano obviously needs to be connected to a PC via USB. To make the comparison as fair as possible, I used my work laptop (an Asus ultra slim) with XXHighEnd as the player. I used XXHighEnd to take Win7 into 'minimized' mode (almost dead) and played using XXHighEnd's 'Unattended' mode (which kills virtually all remaining OS processes during playback). This is how I usually use the iFi Nano when I'm travelling for work. The sound through my Etymotic ER4 earphones is better than it has a right to be.

I decided not to use XXHighEnd's superb ArcPrediction upsampling but rather to simply feed the 16/44.1 file(s) directly to the Nano, with its filter set to 'minimal phase'. Again, I thought this would be the fairest thing to do. On a final note, the laptop was being run from its battery, and likewise, the Nano from its own internal battery.

Playing exactly the same 16/44.1 material... it's a close call. The laptop/XXHighEnd/Nano setup is super detailed. The sound is 'alive'. The Pono has a richer sound, but still with plenty of detail. The sound seems more effortless through the Pono. It'll take more extended listening, but right now I think I prefer the sound of the Pono.

I also did a quick comparison with my Galaxy S4 (in flight mode)... an the sound was flat and lifeless in comparison to the Pono.

Have others had this problem with the SDcard not mounting? Wondering if this could be a bad card as sometimes it mounts, but mostly it doesn't.

Yep, mine doesn't seem to recognize the card, or at least 'PonoMusic World 20' doesn't seem to. But then again, it doesn't always recognize the PonoPlayer itself when I connect it, let alone the card.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Actually, this turned out harder to do than I thought. The iFi Nano obviously needs to be connected to a PC via USB. To make the comparison as fair as possible, I used my work laptop (an Asus ultra slim) with XXHighEnd as the player. I used XXHighEnd to take Win7 into 'minimized' mode (almost dead) and played using XXHighEnd's 'Unattended' mode (which kills virtually all remaining OS processes during playback). This is how I usually use the iFi Nano when I'm travelling for work. The sound through my Etymotic ER4 earphones is better than it has a right to be.

I decided not to use XXHighEnd's superb ArcPrediction upsampling but rather to simply feed the 16/44.1 file(s) directly to the Nano, with its filter set to 'minimal phase'. Again, I thought this would be the fairest thing to do. On a final note, the laptop was being run from its battery, and likewise, the Nano from its own internal battery.

Playing exactly the same 16/44.1 material... it's a close call. The laptop/XXHighEnd/Nano setup is super detailed. The sound is 'alive'. The Pono has a richer sound, but still with plenty of detail. The sound seems more effortless through the Pono. It'll take more extended listening, but right now I think I prefer the sound of the Pono.

I also did a quick comparison with my Galaxy S4 (in flight mode)... an the sound was flat and lifeless in comparison to the Pono.

Yep, mine doesn't seem to recognize the card, or at least 'PonoMusic World 20' doesn't seem to. But then again, it doesn't always recognize the PonoPlayer itself when I connect it, let alone the card.

Mani.

I just talked to support and we think we figured out we the SDcard wasn't mounting. Once you've attached the player via USB and the Music Transfer Load Music? Screen comes up Hit YES and another screen Load Music? DONE comes up... DO NOT hit done until you've done whatever you need to do in PMW... that seemed to be my issue and the SD card mounted along with the ponoplayer on my desktop...hopefully that solves my issue.

I just talked to support and we think we figured out we the SDcard wasn't mounting.

Yep, this seems to be exactly what I was doing. Not hitting 'done' until wanting to eject the Pono works perfectly.

Overall, I really like the whole experience. Managing files that I already have on my NAS and transferring them to the Pono is simple and straightforward - waaay more so than having to use bloody iTunes (which I totally hate) with my old iPhone.

I'm really, really enjoying the sound. The more I listen, the more impressed I am. I have to say that I'm really pleased with my purchase. The iFi Nano will definitely be staying at home from now on.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro