IGNORED

So where's all the Pono comments?

kirkmc

There's only one thread, from a few days ago, about the Pono, with no comments of note other than the fact that it doesn't do gapless playback. After all the discussion here about the Pono, I'd have expected to see lots of posts. Are there just not many people who've gotten theirs yet, or are they disappointed and don't want to discuss it?

Kirk

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

There's only one thread, from a few days ago, about the Pono, with no comments of note other than the fact that it doesn't do gapless playback. After all the discussion here about the Pono, I'd have expected to see lots of posts. Are there just not many people who've gotten theirs yet, or are they disappointed and don't want to discuss it?

Kirk

May have something to do with the store not yet open.

David

Kirk

For me, the better question is "...so when is my Pono player arriving?" I backed a Limited NY Chrome Edition the very first day it became available to order. To date, not a hint of when I am to receive a tracking number indicating my Limited NY Edition is on its way. Would love to comment when I do get my order delivered.

Best,

Richard

Incidentally, once your Pono ships you are given access to the store and to the download of Pono Music World (the Pono branded JRiver). There is almost no hi-res content in the store right now. Nearly everything is 16/44 including the Neil Young catalog.

I've bought the two latest Led Zeppelin reissues and the new Pink Floyd this week in hi-res, but all from Qobuz.

I haven't really used the app either, just dragged and dropped my hi-res ALAC folders.

To their credit, they are doing a gradual rollout. It was a huge project, with a lot of moving parts, and they've done it. They're in beta now, and fixing problems as they are found.

I personally think that Pedram Abrari, who kept development on track, deserves a lot of credit for his work. Neil Young wasn't bad either.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

To their credit, they are doing a gradual rollout. It was a huge project, with a lot of moving parts, and they've done it. They're in beta now, and fixing problems as they are found.

I personally think that Pedram Abrari, who kept development on track, deserves a lot of credit for his work. Neil Young wasn't bad either.

As the party responsible for the player software in the Pono, are you able to provide any information re gapless playback?

I very much agree with your point about the relative timeliness of the Pono launch compared to many (most?) other audio products.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

IIRC my 3G iPod did not originally have gapless playback, and it was enabled with a firmware upgrade. I don't imagine that had anything to do with JRiver, though.

According to Wikipedia, it was the 5th generation iPod, where it was added via a firmware update. This said, that was in 2006; I find it flabbergasting that a high-priced music player in 2014, especially one that touts sound quality, doesn't have it.

Kirk

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

According to Wikipedia, it was the 5th generation iPod, where it was added via a firmware update. This said, that was in 2006; I find it flabbergasting that a high-priced music player in 2014, especially one that touts sound quality, doesn't have it.

Kirk

Agreed. I'm listening to the new Pink Floyd in 24/96, and the pauses detract from the experience a bit. Drums sound incredible, but...

Kirk

I concur. Given the stated highly-desired outcomes for creating the Pono Player and offering music productions at the highest level possible, the absence of gapless play belies the purposes for creating the outcomes stated. I do not know about complexities for or can appreciate what is involved in coding firmware that provides gapless play, I am disappointed that a reasonable expectation for a feature that is absent is justified by the declarations of the enormity of the task given the extensive experience of the entities who accepted the design and deliverance and promoted our expectation in the first instance.

And yes, I can be grateful for what is delivered notwithstanding.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

[...] I find it flabbergasting that a high-priced music player in 2014, especially one that touts sound quality, doesn't have it.

Kirk

So true. My guess is that it never gets into the requirements and perhaps the development team takes advantage of the assumed "space between songs" to optimize for other behaviors. All it would take is one opera nut on the team... and this would not get missed. :-)

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

So true. My guess is that it never gets into the requirements and perhaps the development team takes advantage of the assumed "space between songs" to optimize for other behaviors. All it would take is one opera nut on the team... and this would not get missed. :-)

;>}. Or Bill Evans with Scott LaFaro and Paul Motian, or...

Enjoy the music,

Richard

pono.JPG

Looks great in the box, but that is far as i can get.

I find the software unusable and now it is stuck updating to v1.0.3, I accept this is probably me....but would love to get something out of it.

A quick word of warning though - it does arrive with the volume on max...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15383[/ATTACH]

Looks great in the box, but that is far as i can get.

I find the software unusable and now it is stuck updating to v1.0.3, I accept this is probably me....but would love to get something out of it.

A quick word of warning though - it does arrive with the volume on max...

That is frustrating!

The video tutorial seems pretty straight forward...where did your experience deviate from that shown for the firmware update?

https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=contactus

Best,

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

That is frustrating!

The video tutorial seems pretty straight forward...where did your experience deviate from that shown for the firmware update?

https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=contactus

Best,

John

Hello John,

Thank you for the link to useful information (unaware of) that I will find useful when my Pono Player is delivered (whenever that is).

Best,

Richard

As the party responsible for the player software in the Pono, are you able to provide any information re gapless playback?

The firmware wasn't part of our work, except that we load updates on it when they are available from Pono. I expect problems to be fixed during beta.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

The firmware wasn't part of our work, except that we load updates on it when they are available from Pono. I expect problems to be fixed during beta.

Thanks for the information, and my apologies - I was (incorrectly) assuming gapless playback capability to be part of the player software rather than the firmware.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I think I have worked through the firmware issue and finally got some music onto it:

My impressions is that it produces a very detailed sound, my headphones are Shure E5cs which are a good middle quality model. Can fans will have much better I am sure!

Anyway through my earphones the detail resolution was quite excellent as was the overall tone balance. Most notable was the timing and pace of the music which was very fine indeed.

Compared to an ipod/iphone it is in a wholly different league. It is also doing a fine job going out to my Study Genelecs.

The player interface is a bit glitchy and most importantly I can't limit the volume out which I would like as it has a very hefty output capability.

I am looking forward to trying the line out through my main rig - but i am very seriously impressed well done Ayre!

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers