IGNORED

Marantz HD-DAC1

I agree.

Or maybe couple it with the new NA8005.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

This is finally on US website and is now available. This along with their MM7025 amplifier would make a superb pairing ar $1600.

Add a Sonos Connect and a pair of good speakers and you'd have one hell of a system for under $5k.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15358[/ATTACH]

Marantz US | HD-DAC1

I just started another thread a few minutes ago before i saw this one. I am seriously considering it. I was searching the SA8005 in the forums and see your name there too. Do you have one of those SA8005s? I am just wondering what this DAC would have over the SA8005? They both use the same dac chips and you can buy the SA8005 now on ebay for under $900 (albeit open box). But it looks like this is basically the same as the SA8005 but it includes a SACD.

But it looks like this is basically the same as the SA8005 but it includes a SACD.

The SA8005 would need an integrate amp (or pre and power amp) where this can be connected directly to a set of speakers or a power amplifier. Also I suspect the headphone amp in this will be better.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The SA8005 would need an integrate amp (or pre and power amp) where this can be connected directly to a set of speakers or a power amplifier. Also I suspect the headphone amp in this will be better.

Eloise

Does it mean that it has inbuilt amplifier to drive speakers directly?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

I just started another thread a few minutes ago before i saw this one. I am seriously considering it. I was searching the SA8005 in the forums and see your name there too. Do you have one of those SA8005s? I am just wondering what this DAC would have over the SA8005? They both use the same dac chips and you can buy the SA8005 now on ebay for under $900 (albeit open box). But it looks like this is basically the same as the SA8005 but it includes a SACD.

Open box means used no matter how you slice it. So really the difference is the ability to use the HD-Dac1 as a limited input preamp (it has a volume control, four digital and one analog inputs) and dac and the 8005's ability to play SACDs. They are pretty different pieces actually. The difference in price using retail cost is $400 making the HD-Dac1 a pretty good deal comparatively.

Do not have one of the SA8005's currently but it is a superb sounding piece. Have not compared the two yet but I'd bet they're close to one another. Depends on if you have and listen to SACDS or not I suppose.

David

Eloise

I am going to assume most people would have a preamp or an amp in addition to their dac... so if we aren't concerned with the amplifier part of the dac, my guess is that the actual DAC conversion circuitry is the same, and as long as we like the signal out of that circuitry, and feed it into our own amp...

Open box means used no matter how you slice it. So really the difference is the ability to use the HD-Dac1 as a limited input preamp (it has a volume control, four digital and one analog inputs) and dac and the 8005's ability to play SACDs. They are pretty different pieces actually. The difference in price using retail cost is $400 making the HD-Dac1 a pretty good deal comparatively.

Do not have one of the SA8005's currently but it is a superb sounding piece. Have not compared the two yet but I'd bet they're close to one another. Depends on if you have and listen to SACDS or not I suppose.

I agree, open box is used, but if still under warranty... Also, i don't see the DAC available yet. My main thinking is to limit the amount of hardware pieces. I know i will have one spinner anyway..I only have one sacd, but about 1000 cd's still, although most of what i have is in flac on storage. I just sold my bd-s790 and was going to buy the bd-s7200, but now thinking i may go with marantz SA8005. My guess is that it uses the exact same DAC circuitry, and if i have preamp/amp already, then i could buy the SA8005 instead of the HD-DAC1 and have one less piece of hardware with same SQ.

I agree, open box is used, but if still under warranty... Also, i don't see the DAC available yet. My main thinking is to limit the amount of hardware pieces. I know i will have one spinner anyway..I only have one sacd, but about 1000 cd's still, although most of what i have is in flac on storage. I just sold my bd-s790 and was going to buy the bd-s7200, but now thinking i may go with marantz SA8005. My guess is that it uses the exact same DAC circuitry, and if i have preamp/amp already, then i could buy the SA8005 instead of the HD-DAC1 and have one less piece of hardware with same SQ.

Good thinking. Good price on the SA8005 too.

David