IGNORED

Miss spelled

PeterSt

Hmm ... Coincidentally I don't think I have problems with the apostrophes. Easy : when you leave some character out then it's to be replaced with an apostrophe. In my view there's really nothing more to it.

Some believe we have to blame McDonald's

Not really, because the guy is named McDonald and it is his place. So we can go to Peter's - or Peter his place. Thus all what's left out is replaced by the apostrophe. Kellog his cornflakes; Kellog's.

I think this counts for each language, although English has some more of it.

Someone can try to explain this through possession (the place of McDonald is possessed by McDonald) but I don't think it will be easy to find an example where you couldn't decide without this knowledge (now shoot ;).

Peter's huis in Dutch or Peter's Haus in German ?? nah, that latter fails because no German put it like that (I'd say). Das Haus von Peter oder Hauses Peter's perhaps ??

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

I have just recalled a German test in high school where I translated "headquarters" as "Kopfviertels."

My mother, who knew much more German by association with Yiddish than I ever learned in German class, was quite entertained by that.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

OK off topic :

How odd, though, they didn't have ketchup. (Just kidding!)

Jud, I guess you don't know what you're saying ;)

We in Holland only know about "Patat met" which means as much as pommes frites "with" (mayonnaise); If you'd pronounce the mayonnaise as well you will be sent to the mad house. However :

I keep on telling the story often that once I was in a Belgium "frites house" (say cafe or street car) and ordered the "patat met". The guy behind the counter looked at me with a serious glance in his eyes and asked "with what ?".

Then he pointed at the 501 bottles with "with" on the counter hence 501 all sorts of flavors of mayonnaise and what not. So two countries both as famous for their pommes frites liking (more than anywhere else) and the one uses it with mayonnaise only and the other with countless cold sauces.

And in America it's ketchup. Btw named French Fries I think, which are really something else (twice as thin) and always served by McDonald's (at least over here that is so). But McDonald's is crazy anyway because in America they forgot what a milk shake is and instead serve this "coffee fluff" thing I forgot the name of but still name it milk shake. Try to discuss that (as I did) and again you're sent to the mad house. Such basic things.

XXHighEnd (developer)

i translated "headquarters" as "kopfviertels."

lololololol !!!

Edit : Maybe try to order a ViertelLBS at McDonald's.

PS: Still laughing !

XXHighEnd (developer)

Hmm ... Coincidentally I don't think I have problems with the apostrophes. Easy : when you leave some character out then it's to be replaced with an apostrophe. In my view there's really nothing more to it.

Not really, because the guy is named McDonald and it is his place. So we can go to Peter's - or Peter his place. Thus all what's left out is replaced by the apostrophe. Kellog his cornflakes; Kellog's.

I think this counts for each language, although English has some more of it.

Someone can try to explain this through possession (the place of McDonald is possessed by McDonald) but I don't think it will be easy to find an example where you couldn't decide without this knowledge (now shoot ;).

Peter's huis in Dutch or Peter's Haus in German ?? nah, that latter fails because no German put it like that (I'd say). Das Haus von Peter oder Hauses Peter's perhaps ??

Peters Haus actually, no apostrophe at all.

I wasn't saying that McDonald's or Kellogg's are wrongly spelled in English, but that many people in Germany, because of this influence, puts the apostrophe in all kind's of places (like e.g. Peter's Haus) where it just doesn't belong in German.

You American's already took away their fries and called them French.

Hercule Poirot often had that problem too...

British chips are much better anyway!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.