IGNORED

What kind of hd tracks would you like us to release?

One thing a lot of people would like to see with downloadable digital files is provenance - a description of the origin of the file, which is sadly lacking with many of the existing sites.

In the case of a transfer from analog tape, this would include the following, which I would summarize as how/who/when/where?

How was the file made? Examples:

- flat transfer from analog tape to 24/192 PCM

- transfer from tape to 24/192, EQ down to 24/96

- transfer from tape to DSD, conversion to PCM

- same as previously released DVD-Audio/SACD

- same as previously released CD (which should then be clearly labeled as 16/44)

Who made the digital file? (someone's name)

When? (a date)

Where? (a location, like the name of a recording studio)

In the case of music that was recorded digitally, provenance might include the resolution of the recording of the individual tracks and how they were mixed to create the master.

In terms of format, this has been discussed above. My preference is for FLAC in any of 24/88, 24/96, 24/176, 24/192; maybe give a choice of a couple of them like 24/96 and 24/192.

Chris, the short and very non-technical story is that DSD is the digital audio format that is used for the audiophile Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD). It is a very high resolution alternative to the much more common PCM formats. There is a subset of audiophiles that consider it superior to PCM for a host of technical and subjective reasons, especially when a live performance or an original studio master tape is archived directly to DSD.

I want to add that the intellectual property environment for DSD (the file format) is far less fraught than that for SACD (the physical discs).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ace Records is not familiar with DSD???

How dare they concentrate on providing great music rather than spending their time researching a relatively obscure corner of the music reproduction world! (Albeit an obscure corner I'm very fond of.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

By 'digital rights' I mean the right to sell those recordings via any digital format ie MP3, flac, wav etc.

Very often the licences which enable a record company to release a CD are only for CD. There are legal, commercial and historic reasons what a record company might not be able to release certain albums in all mediums.

Usually we would have the tapes (or copies), but that's not the point - we need the correct rights in place to release in our chosen format.

Digital rights is only referring to the legal situation, nothing to do with the source of the audio.

Thanks for the input and examples.

One thing a lot of people would like to see with downloadable digital files is provenance - a description of the origin of the file, which is sadly lacking with many of the existing sites.

In the case of a transfer from analog tape, this would include the following, which I would summarize as how/who/when/where?

How was the file made? Examples:

- flat transfer from analog tape to 24/192 PCM

- transfer from tape to 24/192, EQ down to 24/96

- transfer from tape to DSD, conversion to PCM

- same as previously released DVD-Audio/SACD

- same as previously released CD (which should then be clearly labeled as 16/44)

Who made the digital file? (someone's name)

When? (a date)

Where? (a location, like the name of a recording studio)

In the case of music that was recorded digitally, provenance might include the resolution of the recording of the individual tracks and how they were mixed to create the master.

In terms of format, this has been discussed above. My preference is for FLAC in any of 24/88, 24/96, 24/176, 24/192; maybe give a choice of a couple of them like 24/96 and 24/192.