IGNORED

iTunes Match and "Main" Mac Question

I am new here and it seems like there has been discussion of this topic but none are an exact match for mine.

- Instead of syncing my iPhone and iPad, I decided I would give iTunes match a try. I have several questions which I can't get answers to even from Apple itself.

- My "main" Mac accesses my music stored on a hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme.

- I stream the file to the Mac but then use Audirvana to play it and use an external DAC which leads to my pre.

The big question I have is when I play the music, am I playing it from the "cloud" now or still playing the file I have stored on my hard drive. Of course, for home listening, I want it to be the latter but can't tell. There are clouds, clouds with exclamation points, and then no clouds at all next to all of the tunes.

And what if you have 2 Macs driving two systems but both accessing the same library. Is one going to be streaming?

BTW, it's taking ages for iTunes to match all the files on my main computer b/c I have so much stuff recorded from radio, concerts, etc. that would never appear in the iTunes store.

If anyone is feeling exceptionally smart today, I have another iTunes question.

- I have my iTunes library set to access the hard drive connected to the Airport Extreme (aka NAS).

- Whenever I download music from iTunes however, it always downloads to the computer itself - never to the NAS.

- Because I have another computer I want to be able to play those files, I have to physically move the files to the NAS, delete them from the Mac they were on so as to avoid duplicates. I have to make sure I disable automatic downloads on that second computer or again I am going to get duplicates.

- Does anyone know how to make sure purchased music does not go the local drive but rather to the NAS?

iTunes is really a mess...

Thanks,

Jonathan

If you want iTunes to automatically down load to a specific place (for example your NAS) you need to ensure that in preferences, under Advanced tab, that the correct folder is specified for the "iTunes Media folder location"; anything you download from within iTunes should then end up there.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Check that the permissions are set right for the user you connect to the NAS.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.