IGNORED

Harry Hall Pearson Jr. (January 5, 1937 - November 4, 2014)

From Email:

It is with a heavy heart that we must share with you the sad news of the passing of a legendary man.

Last night, the evening of November 4th, Harry Hall Pearson Jr. passed away peacefully in his home in Sea Cliff, NY, at the age of 77.

Harry will be missed by those of us who loved him as a mentor, a friend, and as the standard-bearer for our mutual pursuits in the world of audio.

His legend will live on and echo throughout the audio industry, for Harry’s was the “Gold Standard” of audio journalism. His deep love of music, and the goal of realistic reproduction in the home, became the adopted enthusiasm for hundreds of thousands of audiophiles around the globe. His lexicon of audio vocabulary became the very patois with which audiophiles communicated amongst each other, especially audiophile journalists.

Harry’s contributions to the audio world are both measureless and timeless.

Thank you, Maestro, for everything.

Memorial services are being planned, and we will share that information with you once it becomes available.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well he was "the man" and the barometer, at least as he originally intended, for all reviewers. No one did it better and I have yet to see anyone do it as well.

Those old enough to have been lucky enough to have read his original The Absolute Sound will understand what I say.

May he RIP. He sure was one of a kind, in many ways!

Well he was "the man" and the barometer, at least as he originally intended, for all reviewers. No one did it better and I have yet to see anyone do it as well.

Those old enough to have been lucky enough to have read his original The Absolute Sound will understand what I say.

May he RIP. He sure was one of a kind, in many ways!

Very well said Priaptor. A great loss to the Audiophile community.

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Harry was a fine, opinionated writer in the early days at least. He was never great at business (e.g., getting the magazine out on time). He gave a lot of folks the words we still use today to describe how things sound, for better or worse. No one's really been able to step into those shoes.

He'll be missed.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Harry was a fine, opinionated writer in the early days at least. He was never great at business (e.g., getting the magazine out on time). He gave a lot of folks the words we still use today to describe how things sound, for better or worse. No one's really been able to step into those shoes.

He'll be missed.

"he was never great at business"

An understatement. But he was the best and as you say, in the early days. I valued his opinion more than any.

He was so influential in High End during the 80's and 90's. Great at building a team.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just learned from a New York Times obituary that Pearson worked for a local newspaper in the small town where I lived in 1964. The mere proximity must have infected me with the HiFi bug. :)

Makes me wonder if he was related to Ben Pearson and the Archery company in Pine Bluff where my mother worked.

Hytek