IGNORED

New wood floors & speaker spikes

There are reasonably inexpensive thingies that look like low inverted cones with dimples to receive the spikes. Don't remember exactly what the manufacturers call them.

No duct tape. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What do I put under my speaker spikes? Do I need some expensive sonically correct crap? Is there any way I can work duct tape into the solution?

Quarters. If you feel spendy, use a 1 dollar coin (stamp bending machines will give you change in these).

You could of course use custom platforms... but those are not always an improvement:

Photo 6 of 9 from Ongaku

Duct tape? U crezee?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

You may want to look at these:

Cone/Spike Isolation Bases

Hi Fi Racks Stainless Steel Isolation Cup Floor Protectors for Spikes (pack of 4)

I have no idea however if they have an impact on SQ.

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

What do I put under my speaker spikes? Do I need some expensive sonically correct crap? Is there any way I can work duct tape into the solution?

I'm getting my new wood floor installed today (and yesterday and tomorrow). My floor guy took one look at the spikes and freaked out. Fortunately my speakers (Bower and Wilkins CM7) also came with some teflon sphere-shaped spike replacements, so I have put those in the same sockets. I assume they chose good ones.

He also dented a speaker cabinet. Grrr.

I've found these...

2_81.jpg

...to be the best things sonically.

Ideally the 1981 version as shown though at a push 2006 will do sonically. Always ensure the same generation is used under each spike of a speaker though.

I'll sell you these at a bargain price of £5 per disc for random age ... a matched set of 4 for £15 or enough for 2 speakers for a bargain price of £25. Payment via paypal (all fees and worldwide postage included) :-)

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You and those speakers have a bad life :-)

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I don't let a lot bother me. That would.

If they are bonded/insured, then there's a thought as far as getting one or both replaced.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've found these...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15312[/ATTACH]

Ideally the 1981 version as shown though at a push 2006 will do sonically. Always ensure the same generation is used under each spike of a speaker though.

I'll sell you these at a bargain price of £5 per disc for random age ... a matched set of 4 for £15 or enough for 2 speakers for a bargain price of £25. Payment via paypal (all fees and worldwide postage included) :-)

Eloise

Are you out of your mind? 1982 vintage are the bomb, 1981 are only ohkai.

Now seriously... It depends, and I am talking from experience.

In my case, my apartment is on the 3rd fl and the floors are fairly compliant (meaning that if you jump hard enough you'll make the building shake).

I found that spikes did not quite do it for me - specifically piano sounded muffled somehow - so I tried Symposium Super Plus platforms. The size of my speakers forced me to get them custom made but in my case this was a huge improvement (not cheap though).

In summary: If you have wood on concrete (which is the best IMHO) then spikes will do it for you. Do use a spike rest, coins will work just fine (even 1981 vintage - but stay away from 1979). Another solution is to use reversed cones, and I would suggest that you use three not four (two in the back, one in front) but make sure noone will make your speakers tip over.

If you have flimsy floors like I do, good luck.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

One more thing: I used to have smaller speakers as a student (Paradigm 5SeMk3 with modified crossovers actually remarkable for the price with the mods). They are probably around the size and shape of yours.

The one thing that made a huge difference was to put a heavy weight on top. In my case I used two solid steel plates (10 lbs each, one on each speaker, see myuy mac mini pic, those plates are on top and bottom of it now). Truly amazing result. I think what they do is ground the speaker more tightly but additionally the weight makes the speaker enclosure more rigid.

I've toyed with the idea of making an audio product out of this... The only problem is only nut cases like us would buy it.

system pics

Personally, I found that double thickness E.V.A. Anti Vibration pads result in much cleaner and clearer sound than spikes between my Martin Logan SL3s and the wooden floor of my 1906 house. I would try these before you settle on spikes. The price (<50 cents each) is right.

Regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I've found these...

Also make sure to put the tip of the spike right into the Queen's ear. Sonic bliss (for you).

[sorry, I could not help it]

system pics

Photo 6 of 9 from Ongaku

Duct tape? U crezee?

You didn't give the duct tape a chance, it should be rigged above the speakers and then stuck down to the wood, sort of like the guide wires on a tall antenna. Of course you would want to color match the tape with the horns, otherwise it would look tacky.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

You didn't give the duct tape a chance, it should be rigged above the speakers and then stuck down to the wood, sort of like the guide wires on a tall antenna. Of course you would want to color match the tape with the horns, otherwise it would look tacky.

Trudat.

system pics

I don't let a lot bother me. That would.

If they are bonded/insured, then there's a thought as far as getting one or both replaced.

Do you think this is bad enough to get worked up about? (I am not sure. If it was my bike, I would have a huge tantrum.)

15536365240_da037a276e_z.jpg

Do you think this is bad enough to get worked up about? (I am not sure. If it was my bike, I would have a huge tantrum.)

15536365240_da037a276e_z.jpg

What are the dimensions of the dent, and can it be made unnoticeable (color-wise) according to the guy who did it?

I haven't confronted him about it yet. I would rather he didn't screw up the floor. The dent is about 3 cm in the longest dimension. I can probably fix it.

Over an inch is a pretty good size. Do you think he could do a better job on it than you (I assume he stains floors as well as installing)? I wouldn't think it needs to be a confrontation, just something along the lines of hey I saw this and do you think you can make it unnoticeable or at least less noticeable? But you're the best judge of whether that's possible.

I've found these...

Eloise

Puncture the Queen...! How could you...?

I'm waiting for ISIS coins, they will be hard.

Roch

PS/ I would like better a hard piece of wood.

First off, you should be upset at yourself for not getting them out of harm's way before hand. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have shown up for an installation and the home owner still had shit strewn about, expecting me to work around it. Flooring is rough and tumble sort of work. However, if I were you I would be a bit up set that they did not tell you. I would also not let them fix that. 3 cm is pretty big and could be rather noticeable- definitely effecting resell. Flooring companies most likely are not qualified to fix furniture. Something that big would require a furniture/cabinet repair person. There ought to be a local onsite repair person in your area. If need be, check with a (good) piano or furniture place for a proper touch up person. Most likely they will use lacquer burn in sticks and such. In proper hands, they can be amazingly good.

I'm more pissed off that he didn't tell me he did it than I am about the actual dent (shit happens). We're a repeat customer, etc. I'll do it after the floor is done.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz