IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

On 6/20/2017 at 1:44 PM, Acesn8s said:

A little help, please, with MQA and Windows 10?

I stream TIDAL via AudioQuest ethernet cable at >50mbps from a ComCast router to a dedicated Dell laptop running Windows 10, and then via Wireworld USB cable to a TEAC UD 503 DAC. TIDAL desktop does the initial MQA unfold.

From time to time, with no discernable pattern, a Master file will suddenly stutter, sounding like a 45rpm LP being spun at 33rpm. Advancing to the next track on the album typivally corrects the problem until it reoccurs.

TIDAL support suggests it's a connectivity issue, but the defect only happens on MQA, not on TIDAL HiFi, Sirius, or Spotify. TEAC support says their DAC deals with whatever arrives.

If anyone has encountered this issue or can even speculate on a workaround I'd be much obliged. I am unwilling to contemplate upgrading to a full MQA decoding DAC or to a streamer until I get a handle on this. Thanks!

I don't have a solution for you, however my experience is that stuttering can also occur on HIFI.  I have version 2.1.8.289 .    It's intermittent.... haven't heard it for days now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you running anything else at the time?

DigitalDac: Chord DAVE, Amp: MC275 Mono, Preamp: FirstSound, Source: Esoteric K01X, Cable: TaraLab GME interconnect,
CASSOtM Trifecta Mod 75ohm MCI, TheLinearSolution TCXO Router

Analog: SME 20/2, SME V, Skala, Esoteric C03 Phono

The album cover on some recently added albums are not updating. Just getting the generic "gold disc" as art on my Aurender conductor app. 

Submitted a ticket to tidal and waiting for response. Anyone else with this issue. 

Heres a screenshot. 

IMG_0656.PNG

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

On 8/20/2017 at 10:29 PM, JS21 said:

The album cover on some recently added albums are not updating. Just getting the generic "gold disc" as art on my Aurender conductor app. 

Submitted a ticket to tidal and waiting for response. Anyone else with this issue. 

Heres a screenshot. 

IMG_0656.PNG

Read more  

So I take it that I'm the only one with this issue?☹️

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Wireworld Silver Electra PCs..IsoAcoustics Gaia I and II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

Me to  I feel its something in Tidals domain and I've sent a few support tickets, but nothing..   , what dac you using. 

TEAC UD-503.

See my several posts on page 33, above, for full details.

I have seen a suggestion on another site that the problem indeed is in TIDAL's domain and somehow is related to the manner in which it pushes "Master" files.

Bottom line, for me, is I can't listen to MQA files on my main system for now.

in regards to the stuttering issues, perhaps a networking issue,  has anyone adjusted their MTU settings on a PC?

Run as Administrator cmd.exe.

Trial and error find the right packet size that does not need fragmenting.  Assuming our music streams from tidal.com.  Not sure how effective but fun to try.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping Tidal.com -f -l 1500

Pinging Tidal.com [34.200.58.164] with 1500 bytes of data:
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for 34.200.58.164:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

^C
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping Tidal.com -f -l 1450

Pinging Tidal.com [34.200.58.164] with 1450 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Control-C
^C

Now set the new MTU to 1450 by finding name of your interface then setting the value.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

MTU  MediaSenseState   Bytes In  Bytes Out  Interface
------  ---------------  ---------  ---------  -------------
  1500                1   19156349    5456217  Wi-Fi
  1500                5          0          0  Local Area Connection* 9
4294967295                1          0      59908  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1450 store=persistent
Ok.

1450                1   19247052    5484615  Wi-Fi
4294967295                1          0      60811  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

1 hour ago, Acesn8s said:

TEAC UD-503.

See my several posts on page 33, above, for full details.

I have seen a suggestion on another site that the problem indeed is in TIDAL's domain and somehow is related to the manner in which it pushes "Master" files.

Bottom line, for me, is I can't listen to MQA files on my main system for now.

I know its not the DAC, it happens on my Brooklyn and my Lumin streamers. 

The Truth Is Out There

No stuttering on MASTERs today :)

No changes to my setup:   Windows Tidal App on PC > iPurifier > iUSB > LS50W

Tested the following MASTER albums with no stuttering problem:

• Mark Knofler Shangri-La
  • Grateful Dead American Beauty
  • Joni Mitchell Blue  (one short skip)
  • Patricia Barber A Distortion of Love (hung on second and eighth tracks)

When it hangs, I have to click fast-forward.  Apart from these issues, I am enjoying sweet sound!

9 hours ago, photonman said:

in regards to the stuttering issues, perhaps a networking issue,  has anyone adjusted their MTU settings on a PC?

Run as Administrator cmd.exe.

Trial and error find the right packet size that does not need fragmenting.  Assuming our music streams from tidal.com.  Not sure how effective but fun to try.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping Tidal.com -f -l 1500

Pinging Tidal.com [34.200.58.164] with 1500 bytes of data:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

^C
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping Tidal.com -f -l 1450

Pinging Tidal.com [34.200.58.164] with 1450 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Control-C
^C

Now set the new MTU to 1450 by finding name of your interface then setting the value.

1500                1   19156349    5456217  Wi-Fi
4294967295                1          0      59908  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1450 store=persistent
Ok.

1450                1   19247052    5484615  Wi-Fi
4294967295                1          0      60811  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

With all due respect you must have a very different idea of fun than I do!

16 hours ago, audio.bill said:

With all due respect you must have a very different idea of fun than I do!

ha ha, true but now that I think about it, if your streamer/player caches the file before  playback, packet fragmentation probably is not an issue.

I just chalk up all these weird intermittent inconsistent issues to the innate flaws of computer based audio.  So many pieces and bits between the music source and your system with ISP, public internet routes, protocols, equipment, cables, wifi etc.  that there is so much potential for a blip somewhere along this long long path.  But I think many of us, with all due respect, just expect things to work not appreciating or realizing all that transpires up there in this magical thing called "the cloud". 

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

I stream Tidal via the PC desktop app into the DAC connected to my stereo.

All my MQA albums played without issue until mid August when many would not play while the others continued to play as before. I went through 3 desktop app changes as  per Tidal support and those albums now play but each track can take up to 15 seconds to play, and often tracks are skipped.

I think the problem  is with Tidal. There are two MQA listings for the Judy Collins 60s Collection. One streams fine, the other has the delay.

I have been dealing with them since Mid-June about the stuttering and stopping issues that involves three different streamer brands and tests with four different modem/gateways.  Other than blaming the IP, streamers, routers their only suggestion to help is to change the DNS settings to Google Public which makes no difference.  They plain and simple have bandwith issues in certain areas of the country that are getting progressively worse as more people attempt to use MQA.  This has been confirmed to me by software people with two of the streamer companies who have been fielding complaints from customers who have been told their problems are the result of the streamer software by Tidal.  On the other hand Quboz, which has no equipment in the country, streams flawlessly as does Spotify.  My issues persist whether using wireless, 125 mbps and 10ms, or wired connections.  Whether these problems are the result of their teaming up with Sprint or just the failure to keep up is unknown.  All I know is that my service was flawless for almost a year and a half and is now basically useless for either standard or MQA files.  

I tried Tidal a couple of years ago and it had dropouts and stutters. When it became available in Audirvana, I signed up for a trial and it worked fine. Now it works fine in the app as well. I never figured out what the problem was but it certainly wasn't network speed. However, I have only tried MQA once and although it worked fine, i just didn't see the upside. 

On 8/26/2017 at 1:56 PM, [email protected] said:

No stuttering on MASTERs today :)

No changes to my setup:   Windows Tidal App on PC > iPurifier > iUSB > LS50W

Tested the following MASTER albums with no stuttering problem:

• Mark Knofler Shangri-La
  • Grateful Dead American Beauty
  • Joni Mitchell Blue  (one short skip)
  • Patricia Barber A Distortion of Love (hung on second and eighth tracks)

When it hangs, I have to click fast-forward.  Apart from these issues, I am enjoying sweet sound!

Rats...

• Madeleine Peyroux (Hello Babe) MASTER STUTTERING AGAIN 

I've found the problem to get worse as the day goes on and comes to  a peak later in the evening when all of the times zones are home from work and usage increases.   Even when Tidal starts stuttering and skipping the other two services continue to play on without issue.

I've been having an issue for the past week or so where I'm getting nothing but hiss when playing the normal Tidal tracks but the Masters tracks play fine.  I've tried deleting the app and reinstalling and have powered all equipment off an on but nothing has helped.  I'm using the desktop app on a MacBook pro and an Ayre QB-9 DAC.  I much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan