IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

Hi all, just might be worth a mention, but I started having stuttering issues with Tidal streaming through Aralic Aries a few weeks ago, I literally could not play anything for longer than 5 minutes. I bought a new router, checked my internet connection and followed a bunch of advice from the web. Chris from Auralic support suggested I try logging out of Tidal and back in again because he had heard that they were having trouble with some servers (Tidal support have been silent on this but did give me 30 days free). Since I did this I am back to (so far) uninterrupted music...

Worth a try if you haven't done so?

Good luck

M

Great tip!!! Tidal now works for me, fingers crossed it stays that way. Many thanks

Are you running the llicensed & latest version of the BubbleUPnP app (2.5.4)?

I found that I'm running BubbleDS Next not BubbleUPNP. There are very small differences between versions and it is one of few. I installed BubbleUPNP now and found Audio Quality. Thank you!

Great tip!!! Tidal now works for me, fingers crossed it stays that way. Many thanks

This didn't work for me but I'm on Lumin so maybe different issues to those on Chrome or App. Been signing out and in 2-3 times a session to no effect but what did work is the information from crackerbuzz in post #632 about using Google DNS servers. That, plus whatever changes TIDAL made to their Hong Kong servers has resulted in no stuttering or dropouts for 2 nights. I changed my router settings to Google DNS, signed out, & rebooted everything and said the magic words....

This didn't work for me but I'm on Lumin so maybe different issues to those on Chrome or App. Been signing out and in 2-3 times a session to no effect but what did work is the information from crackerbuzz in post #632 about using Google DNS servers. That, plus whatever changes TIDAL made to their Hong Kong servers has resulted in no stuttering or dropouts for 2 nights. I changed my router settings to Google DNS, signed out, & rebooted everything and said the magic words....

Nice work!

• 2 weeks later...

Just some personal feedback on issues that others have experienced with TIDAL. I signed up for TIDAL HiFi a few weeks ago. Since that time I have experienced the following problems and seem (so far) to have remedied them in my environment.

1) hanging (presumably buffering) between songs. ==> This was significantly reduced by using Google DNS servers (as suggested previously in this thread).

2) ticks, pops, mini dropouts during song playback. These usually happened at the beginning and end of songs, although sometimes in the middle. ==> This issue was solved for me by changing my laptop network connection from wireless to a wired ethernet connection.

That having been said, I do not believe it was the fault of my wireless network (slow speed, crappy router, etc). I believe it was an internal data bus interference/overlap in my laptop between activity on my my wireless card and the USB output to my DAC. When I changed to wired, the ethernet port was likely on a different internal bus from my USB connection. Have been running TIDAL now for 2 days with no ticks,pops, etc. Before trying this I experimented with Fidelizer to play around with services, task priority, etc. That did not help with my issues although I may stay with Fidelizer anyway.

Hope this helps.

Anyone experiencing these Tidal "stuck" GUI issue?

Running iMac>Bootcamp>Windows 7>Tidal PC Desktop app

1. Most times, when I exit Tidal and restart, the GUI looses the "More" and "Show All" function on Albums, Playlists etc.

2. I cannot scroll sideways to see more albums etc.

3. Also the Back/Play/Forward widget does not display

T\When this happens, the only fix is to uninstall Tidal and re-install.

Neither in the Chrome player, nor in iOS players do I experience this.

BTW...I love the Roon player because it allow me to bypass Windows and play through ASIO to my DAC. Noticeable SQ improvement. Wish Tidal had ASIO capability.

• 1 month later...

Greetings,

First of all, excuse me if my question seems too silly, but I'm a completely newbie regarding streaming, files, renderes, NAS, etc.

I'm about to make a huge change in my system and include a High End server. My question is about sound quality and Tidal:

Are there any significant changes in SQ between different streamers? I mean, regarding Tidal SQ only, for example an Aurender N10 should play Tidal better than the N100, this one better than an Oppo 105, the 105 better than a 103, an so on, or the player itself doesn't play an important role in this regard? I ask you this because as far as I could understand, Tidal sreaming cannot be stored previously in an SD like the Aurenders do w/ files, so I cannot see how the player itself could afect Tidal SQ, as it only receives the streaming and send it directly to the DAC. Please, forgive me if this seems too silly for you guys here, and forgive me if this is not the proper thread to post this question.

Best Regards

I don't think this is silly at all. From my experience, the streamer itself, assuming it is a capable unit, is less important to SQ than the processing you may decide to do on your high end sever with the various processing programs. That, combined with your DAC are where you will here a difference. Of course cables can also impact the overall SQ. You are asking the right questions. Good luck!

Greetings,

First of all, excuse me if my question seems too silly, but I'm a completely newbie regarding streaming, files, renderes, NAS, etc.

I'm about to make a huge change in my system and include a High End server. My question is about sound quality and Tidal:

Are there any significant changes in SQ between different streamers? I mean, regarding Tidal SQ only, for example an Aurender N10 should play Tidal better than the N100, this one better than an Oppo 105, the 105 better than a 103, an so on, or the player itself doesn't play an important role in this regard? I ask you this because as far as I could understand, Tidal sreaming cannot be stored previously in an SD like the Aurenders do w/ files, so I cannot see how the player itself could afect Tidal SQ, as it only receives the streaming and send it directly to the DAC. Please, forgive me if this seems too silly for you guys here, and forgive me if this is not the proper thread to post this question.

Best Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greetings,

Best Regards

Q. Are there any significant changes in SQ between different streamers?

An. As you understand, a steamer should simply pass whatever digital signal is being broadcast from the music service on to your audio system. However, most "High End servers," also acting as streamers, contain their own DAC circuitry and chip. The DAC portion is one critical 'link' in the SQ equation, with each DAC product marketing their own technological 'magic'. A high-end streamer should allow you to bypass the on-board DAC and simply pass the digital signal on to a separate DAC, if you so choose. If that's the design, then the server/streamer's UI (user interface) and remote control is most important. For that, you want both stability and elegance, IMO. Roon, running on a computer, appears to currently reign as the UI and streamer "king on the mountain".

Source: TIDAL HiFi/Masters, Pandora One > iPeng 9.2.1 on iPhone6s/iPad

Great Room: SBT#1 > Cullen Coax > PS Audio DL3 DAC > Audio Envy cables > Martin Logan (ML) 200Wpc Purity.

SBT#2 >JVC 110w amp > ML Motion 4 & AudioEngine 5.

Garage: SBT3 > Audioquest TOS > Wyred mINT > Cullen Cables > Martin Logan Motion 12

Carry Anywhere: TIDAL/Pandora >iPhone 6s > Bose Mini Bluetooth speaker.

Dan, no offense but I could not disagree more with most of your points.

Q. Are there any significant changes in SQ between different streamers?

An. As you understand, a steamer should simply pass whatever digital signal is being broadcast from the music service on to your audio system. However, most "High End servers," also acting as streamers, contain their own DAC circuitry and chip.

What "most high end servers" are you referring to here? Most of the higher quality servers (and streamers) are dedicated to making sure a high degree of isolation, whether physical or galvanic, is achieved, as well as using clean powerful power supplies that add no noise to the signal chain, yet provide stable performance. Each is typically built for one (or two) dedicated purposes, digital-to-analog conversion not being one of them. OTOH, Auralic introduced a low-end Aries Mini that fits your bill, but is clearly intended for a second system or intro-level all-in-one solution. It is very good, by the way. :) But not the majority.

A high-end streamer should allow you to bypass the on-board DAC and simply pass the digital signal on to a separate DAC, if you so choose.

Again, if a piece of hardware is considered a "streamer" then it likely has no DAC, and in many cases no local access to music files; it is a black box that gets one away from having to care and feed a genral use computer, and is a minimalist (for good reason) box with ethernet in and DAC interface out. Local hdd access is being blurred a bit, as many folks do not own a NAS (or common file access within their home) and need local file storage, which folks like Aurender, exaSound, Sonore and others have designed in as an option. But no DAC is included.

If that's the design, then the server/streamer's UI (user interface) and remote control is most important. For that, you want both stability and elegance, IMO.

Since you are answering the question of SQ, the design of a streamer's UI or remote is quite tertiary to SQ (except when considering a headless pc server with the intent to use no graphics card for fear of extra processing and noise, then the ability to isolate the entire GUI and remote to another device has SQ as a by-product). IMHO, the SQ of a streamer piece of hardware is differentiated by its ability to provide a clean but wide-bandwidth DAC interface (i.e top notch USB or SPDIF output section, including power considerations, etc) and a stable low-noise power supply. Since ethernet is likely involved, its interface is of inport, too. Also, many have reported that a minimalist operating system is of huge SQ importance, and why so many stremaers use a highly pared-down Linux, running on a flash card or SSD, worst case. These are way more important to SQ than GUI or remote (which are important user interface purchase issues, don't get me wrong). Finally, some regard to streamer flexibility (can be used for many networks like LMS, HQP NAA, UPnP, Airplay, etc) is a differentiating factor, but certainly not directly an SQ one.

Roon, running on a computer, appears to currently reign as the UI and streamer "king on the mountain".

Roon is not a streamer, it is software. Roon is a music player that includes good library management and a great all-encompassing UI. But put it on a general use under-powered computer and you may well have SQ issues. And Roon is not always well regarded for its own SQ output...but now that Roon has created a large partnership of Roon-ready manufacturers, one can use the library management and GUI of Roon, and combine it with the SQ cleanliness and power of a host of higher end streamers and software sound engines (like HQPlayer).

Dan, no offense but I could not disagree more with most of your points.

What "most high end servers" are you referring to here? Most of the higher quality servers (and streamers) are dedicated to making sure a high degree of isolation, whether physical or galvanic, is achieved, as well as using clean powerful power supplies that add no noise to the signal chain, yet provide stable performance. Each is typically built for one (or two) dedicated purposes, digital-to-analog conversion not being one of them. OTOH, Auralic introduced a low-end Aries Mini that fits your bill, but is clearly intended for a second system or intro-level all-in-one solution. It is very good, by the way. :) But not the majority.

Again, if a piece of hardware is considered a "streamer" then it likely has no DAC, and in many cases no local access to music files; it is a black box that gets one away from having to care and feed a genral use computer, and is a minimalist (for good reason) box with ethernet in and DAC interface out. Local hdd access is being blurred a bit, as many folks do not own a NAS (or common file access within their home) and need local file storage, which folks like Aurender, exaSound, Sonore and others have designed in as an option. But no DAC is included.

Since you are answering the question of SQ, the design of a streamer's UI or remote is quite tertiary to SQ (except when considering a headless pc server with the intent to use no graphics card for fear of extra processing and noise, then the ability to isolate the entire GUI and remote to another device has SQ as a by-product). IMHO, the SQ of a streamer piece of hardware is differentiated by its ability to provide a clean but wide-bandwidth DAC interface (i.e top notch USB or SPDIF output section, including power considerations, etc) and a stable low-noise power supply. Since ethernet is likely involved, its interface is of inport, too. Also, many have reported that a minimalist operating system is of huge SQ importance, and why so many stremaers use a highly pared-down Linux, running on a flash card or SSD, worst case. These are way more important to SQ than GUI or remote (which are important user interface purchase issues, don't get me wrong). Finally, some regard to streamer flexibility (can be used for many networks like LMS, HQP NAA, UPnP, Airplay, etc) is a differentiating factor, but certainly not directly an SQ one.

Roon is not a streamer, it is software. Roon is a music player that includes good library management and a great all-encompassing UI. But put it on a general use under-powered computer and you may well have SQ issues. And Roon is not always well regarded for its own SQ output...but now that Roon has created a large partnership of Roon-ready manufacturers, one can use the library management and GUI of Roon, and combine it with the SQ cleanliness and power of a host of higher end streamers and software sound engines (like HQPlayer).

Agree all points but how about answering @Rogertmac's question as you have had access to many streamers: 'My question is about sound quality and Tidal:Are there any significant changes in SQ between different streamers?'

Hi guys,

I apreciate all the answers but I think I must find any source of study before I post here. It's embarassing... I'm not a newbie in audio, and I don't consider my system as a entry level one (at least not here in Brazil where everything costs at least the double - in US$ - because of taxes), but when it comes to this digital domain, i confess sometimes is like if I was reading chinese... Do you recomend any source where a "stone age guy" like me can start to try to understand all these things? Any kind of "glossary" w/ enough information that fits this purpose?

For example, I tried, but I couldn't understand most part of Ted's answer above. Not that I'm a complete idiot, but I don't know the meaning of many words or acronyms he wrote there, so that the whole thing makes no sense to me...

I'm a CD age guy. I know exactly what a transport is, what a DAC does, an amp, a pre-amp; analog, XLR, or digital interconnects; power or speaker cables, etc. I can even understand a "box" that is capable of "going" into a NAS (this one I know the meaning!) "get" a file there and "give" it to a DAC (inside or outside the "box"). But in this simply and retarded way to describe this path, you experienced guys are capable of saying dozens of acronyms, nouns, etc that plays a role on it, and then it becomes chinese for me again... When it comes to the dozens of devices (computers, IOS, android, etc) and hundreds of "apps" that "control" this devices in order to make these devices "control" the "box" I described, I simply go crazy! It's impossible for me to understand, without knowing what you mean with all the terms you guys use!

Please, excuse my outflow here, and if anyone can tell me any source for me to study all these things I will appreciate a lot!

Back to Tidal, it is the same to me: I simply don't know what thing plays which role on Tidal streaming. I know that there are Tidal files somewhere in the cloud, and the same "box" is capable of going there, get the files and "give" this file to a DAC, but how it does it, who takes control in this case, and how these files can be affected (in sense of bettering or worsening SQ), before they enter a DAC, is a mistery to me.

Talking about things I can understand a little, the purpose of my question is that I'm about to pull the trigger on a Dartzeel LHC-208 (Streamer, DAC and integrated amp), that can play files from a NAS and play them in a impecable way. But I don't know if there is any "app" that could control it and have Tidal integration. The Brazilian dealer, which is a friend of mine, simply NEVER used Tidal and don't pay any attention to it, thus, he doesn't know how to make the Dart "get" the Tidal files. My doubt is: if I stream Tidal w/ an Aurender N100, or an Oppo 105, or an Oppo 103, would the differences in the hardware between this 3 specific models have any significant impact in Tidal's SQ, taking into account I would use the LHC's wonderful DAC in either case? Dartzeel is going to launch it's own interface in the near (?) future (w/ the promise of the company owner that it will have not only Tidal, but other streaming services integration), but in the case it takes a long time to acomplish that, I wanted to hear Tidal w/ the best SQ possible until there.

FYI I already have an Oppo 103d, an was offered a good deal for upgrading it for the 105D an a very good deal to take an Aurender N100 along w/ the Dart. But I would do any of these 2 moves, only if I'm certain I would have better (significantly) SQ regarding Tidal streaming, otherwise it won't make sense, since NAS streaming will be made by the Dartzeel, and it will have Tidal integration in the future.

Please, once again, excuse me for my extremely low level of "digital" knowledge.

Best regards!

Roger - The Dartzeel is a well regarded piece. It should serve you needs well. In regards to the question an application that can control it and Tidal, I don't have the answer, perhaps some here does, other try this forum as there appear to be a number of Dartzeel users on their who have had the LHC-208 for quite some time now and would probably know the answer to that question.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Dam Tidal. I tried there 30 day trial. It ran out. I recieve an email telling me so. I clicked on the email and saw an offer for 6 months payed all at once at a discount. So I clicked on the subscription tab to check it out and find out there payment methods and it automatically took $19.99 for 1 month out of my paypal account. I never authorized this and have no idea how they even got my account. All I was doing was investigating my options and it just took my money. Usually paypal will make you sign in before final payment is made. Was going to go for the 6 month deal but now they already got me for the 1 month at the full price. I'm ticked off now... The only payment method that is changeable in settings is your bank account. Which they don't have. I see no option to delete the paypal account.

Dam Tidal. I tried there 30 day trial. It ran out. I recieve an email telling me so. I clicked on the email and saw an offer for 6 months payed all at once at a discount. So I clicked on the subscription tab to check it out and find out there payment methods and it automatically took $19.99 for 1 month out of my paypal account. I never authorized this and have no idea how they even got my account. All I was doing was investigating my options and it just took my money. Usually paypal will make you sign in before final payment is made. Was going to go for the 6 month deal but now they already got me for the 1 month at the full price. I'm ticked off now... The only payment method that is changeable in settings is your bank account. Which they don't have. I see no option to delete the paypal account.

If you're in the US submit a question to:

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

It's accessed on the Login page.

They will get back to you. May take a few days but I've always got a response.

Enjoy.

Done...Thanks...Got this email saying my trial period was over. I saw a previous ad saying you could do 6 months at a deal. So I click on the tab in my email thats says subscription thinking I could check out the prices and package deals. Well once I click on the tab it automatically charge me for a month full price through paypal. I don't get it. Paypal usually ask you to sign in. Well it didn't...

Is there any way to get the Tidal app on a Windows 10 PC to use the Exasound ASIO driver for its output? The USB driver for the Exasound is installed and both JRiver and Roon see it and can use it. But neither the Tidal app nor Windows control panel see it as an Audio device. Any suggestions other than streaming Tidal through Roon?

Is there any way to get the Tidal app on a Windows 10 PC to use the Exasound ASIO driver for its output? The USB driver for the Exasound is installed and both JRiver and Roon see it and can use it. But neither the Tidal app nor Windows control panel see it as an Audio device. Any suggestions other than streaming Tidal through Roon?

this might help: ASIO Bridge - Software Informer. ASIO Bridge allows routing virtual i/o to an ASIO Device.

It will create a virtual (WASAPI) sound card which can be seen by Roon, Windows, Tidal, etc. and route it to your ASIO driver.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Thanks, Phil, I have the ASIO Bridge installed and it shows up in Tidal as an audio out option but where do I configure the ASIO bridge to route to my Exasound ASIO driver?

Never mind, I found the app and was able to use it to select my Exasound ASIO driver but couldn't get it to work. In pass-through I get no sound and if I switch ASIO Off, I get some sound but very broken up. I did find a way to stream Tidal through JRiver using the WDM driver, so I will use that until Tidal comes up with native support in their app, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not so much an issue but a curiosity:

I'm using Logitech Media Server w/ ickstream to stream Tidal to a Raspberry Pi running piCorePlayer-

In my LMS File Types settings, I need to use FLAC - FLAC - Native, and all plays fine.

When I use FLAC - FLAC - Disabled (and therefore use FLAC - PCM - FLAC to try to decode on the server-side) Tidal doesn't play - A song will indicate that it's playing for a few seconds and then jump a few songs down the playlist.

However, when I am playing a flac file from my hard drive attached via USB to the LMS PC (trying Al DiMeola Flesh on Flesh now) it plays fine whether I use FLAC - FLAC - Native OR FLAC - FLAC - Disabled.

Wondering why the different behavior for Tidal (which is flac, no?) and for a local flac file.

Thanks

-Mike

Yesterday I got my Network Audio Renderer (SOTM SMS-100) and had my first taste of true Asynchronous USB. Very impressed.

POsting here because on my Galaxy S5 I had severe stuttering issues playing Tidal but later tried it from my Galaxy Tab and had a perfect evening's entertainment. Both running paid version of BubbleUPNP, same network. I've sent logs to Bubble, but I guess this COULD be down to logging into TIDAL again (in y case from a different device).

Yesterday I got my Network Audio Renderer (SOTM SMS-100) and had my first taste of true Asynchronous USB. Very impressed.

POsting here because on my Galaxy S5 I had severe stuttering issues playing Tidal but later tried it from my Galaxy Tab and had a perfect evening's entertainment. Both running paid version of BubbleUPNP, same network. I've sent logs to Bubble, but I guess this COULD be down to logging into TIDAL again (in y case from a different device).

Yes prolly logging back in sorted it. So what is your chain? I'm not familiar with the SOTM..

Netgear READYNAS Duo (old) Library (Stock UPNP/DLNA)

Ethernet into gigabit switch

SOTM SMS-100 DLNA Renderer

Stock USB cable into

SOTM SDP-1000 DAC/PRE

I usually use a valve pre but I'm redesigning and rebuilding it.

Balanced outputs to Art Audio PX25

Lowther Horns (Icon Audio)

Bubble UPNP on Galaxy Tab

TIDAL HIFI TRIAL