IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

In Vancouver BC...

I upgraded the Tidal Windows app this morning in response to a pop up prompt.

Tidal worked for an hour, then stopped. I get a Server Error and Unable to log in messages.

Was able to log in under the Chrome web player, but unable to play any tracks.

Works as usual on my iPad.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

EDIT: I uninstalled the app and re-installed it. Now working as usual.

Tidal support acknowledged there is a problem in Australia and gave me a free month subscription.

They said they are working on the problem

I've just re-subscribed as a trial on the basis that I may not have Qobuz for much longer - played OK for a few hours then the terrible stutters, unusable - just like when I originally tried Tidal. I run it through an Aries.

If I lose access to HQ streaming I might downgrade my whole system because it is designed around that convenience and way too many £££ to be just playing Spotify via Airplay.

Pretty depressing really, but maybe I should take up another hobby...

I've just re-subscribed as a trial on the basis that I may not have Qobuz for much longer - played OK for a few hours then the terrible stutters, unusable - just like when I originally tried Tidal. I run it through an Aries.

If I lose access to HQ streaming I might downgrade my whole system because it is designed around that convenience and way too many £££ to be just playing Spotify via Airplay.

I feel your pain. I know I felt the same way a few months ago when Tidal seemed like a tease of the worst and wondrous kind. I hope you hang in there.

The new Mac app updated yesterday. The GUI looks similar to what I've seen of the webplayer. So far so good. It has an iTunes-like notification banner that slides in from the upper left of the screen.

Tidal is great for new releases. Has enough of them covered that I'm not forlornly twiddling my thumbs when an artist doesn't appear. (Joanna Newsom). I check Allmusic.com on Fridays to see what has been released then over to Tidal to listen.

Today's queue is the new album by Jeff Lynne's ELO. Apparently not yet available in full resolution (gray HIFI indicator) on Tidal but enough, for now.

Tidal does have hiccups to its streaming from time to time but there are a lot of links in the chain so understanding where the problem lies is an acquired skill. My problems with the service last spring had to do with Tidal relocating server content and, like they promised, it soon resolved. I hope this is your case.

This hobby is what i do while I am pursuing all my other hobbies.

Best wishes,

Tom

I feel your pain. I know I felt the same way a few months ago when Tidal seemed like a tease of the worst and wondrous kind. I hope you hang in there.

The new Mac app updated yesterday. The GUI looks similar to what I've seen of the webplayer. So far so good. It has an iTunes-like notification banner that slides in from the upper left of the screen.

Tidal is great for new releases. Has enough of them covered that I'm not forlornly twiddling my thumbs when an artist doesn't appear. (Joanna Newsom). I check Allmusic.com on Fridays to see what has been released then over to Tidal to listen.

Today's queue is the new album by Jeff Lynne's ELO. Apparently not yet available in full resolution (gray HIFI indicator) on Tidal but enough, for now.

Tidal does have hiccups to its streaming from time to time but there are a lot of links in the chain so understanding where the problem lies is an acquired skill. My problems with the service last spring had to do with Tidal relocating server content and, like they promised, it soon resolved. I hope this is your case.

This hobby is what i do while I am pursuing all my other hobbies.

Best wishes,

Tom

thanks Tom

First world problem obviously. I've consoled myself for now by buying a whole load of hi res downloads from QoBuz, plus Tidal seems Ok today. One day at a time in this game I guess ;) cheers Ben

Noticed on my local hifi forum (Stereonet) in Australia that a number of my countrymen have had issues, starting from about the 5th of November, with Tidal.

Issues are mainly stuttering, pausing, or unable to play ... effectively the Tidal service is now unusable in Australia, at least for me, as well as others.

It does not appear to be ISP based (I am with Telstra, others are with Optus).

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Noticed on my local hifi forum (Stereonet) in Australia that a number of my countrymen have had issues, starting from about the 5th of November, with Tidal.

Issues are mainly stuttering, pausing, or unable to play ... effectively the Tidal service is now unusable in Australia, at least for me, as well as others.

It does not appear to be ISP based (I am with Telstra, others are with Optus).

My Tidal app version is:

1.1.0.589 (W:1.11.2--P) (NP:NA)

A month or so after I subscribed to Tidal it changed hands. I had no idea. Then the service quality simply became horrible. Stopping mid track. Failing to advance to the next track, and stopping and starting. It took a week to get a response to my ticket request when I was told that the were moving servers and would be done in a few weeks. It was even suggested that I try streaming older music because the new servers were being populated with music in chronological order and the older music was in place on the new servers.

Sure enough, I had much fewer issues with older, sixties music so I contented myself with that for the time being.

Given that Australia is dowwn under maybe thats what Tidal is doing again: populating servers with your own music. This would make sense from a network traffic and licensing standpoint.

But I wouldnt have known that had I not filed a complaint with Tidal and waited far too patiently for a reply. (This non existent live customer service practice is total BS and, well, dont get me started. I love music more than I hate 21st Century customer service, apparently.)

So, file a complaint. Get in that queue and you will hear back.

in the meantime, try some older music. Who knows? (This is totally uninformed advice btw.)

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for that ... I will give that a go (try older music like some sixties music).

4 ways that I run Tidal all have issues;

1) iPhone/iPad ... some stuttering & pausing, the best option of the lot because I can use "off line" mode to get away from the issues.

2) Auralic Aries using Lightning DS ... unusable. Have to constantly reboot the Aries.

3) Roon ... have to press play twice for every Tidal song. Pausing, stuttering. Unusable.

4) Macbook OS Tidal App ... an old version ... Version 3.2.3 (3.2.3.16) I like this version as it still has the "My Recommendations" view. Still, it so problematic.

Have lodged a support ticket with Tidal.

Hope to get a response sometime soon.

John

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

That's unfortunate, to say the least. I have been a Tidal subscriber for many, many months with nary a hitch. I use it mostly with Roon and my Aries, and both work reliably with no stutters, drop outs etc.

FWIW my Internet wireless download speed is ~ 100Mbps inside the home.

Where are you located?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Tom,

Thanks for that ... I will give that a go (try older music like some sixties music).

4 ways that I run Tidal all have issues;

1) iPhone/iPad ... some stuttering & pausing, the best option of the lot because I can use "off line" mode to get away from the issues.

2) Auralic Aries using Lightning DS ... unusable. Have to constantly reboot the Aries.

3) Roon ... have to press play twice for every Tidal song. Pausing, stuttering. Unusable.

4) Macbook OS Tidal App ... an old version ... Version 3.2.3 (3.2.3.16) I like this version as it still has the "My Recommendations" view. Still, it so problematic.

Have lodged a support ticket with Tidal.

Hope to get a response sometime soon.

John

I had a good couple of month with Tidal without a glitch, then suddenly for the past few days I am struggling to complete a single track without Tidal stopping, stuttering and breaking the playback. I use different methods (Web, Tidal Windows client, Roon, etc.) and they all stutter... I have no issue with Bandwidth and can watch 4K video without a glitch, the issue is strictly with Tidal.

Submitted a support request a few days ago, I am yet to hear from Tidal support.

Very disappointing.

Tareq

I had a good couple of month with Tidal without a glitch, then suddenly for the past few days I am struggling to complete a single track without Tidal stopping, stuttering and breaking the playback. I use different methods (Web, Tidal Windows client, Roon, etc.) and they all stutter... I have no issue with Bandwidth and can watch 4K video without a glitch, the issue is strictly with Tidal.

Submitted a support request a few days ago, I am yet to hear from Tidal support.

Very disappointing.

Tareq

Tareq, it took Tidal about 1/2 a week to finally get back to me ... though they finally did and have very responsive. Have moved from frustrated to assured that Tidal is taking this very seriously ... from both Tidal Support people and Pål Bråtelund (Tidal Strategic Partner Manager).

I hope they get back to you soon ... oh! just noticed you mentioned Roon.

There is a Roon Support thread that Tidal is monitoring.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/tidal-hifi-stream-breaking-up-australia-and-new-zealand/4796/44

Make a comment over there, could be worthwhile. Just a thought.

John

You had my hopes up there. I believe that's been available for a while - the file date is in July.

Funny thing: It was the first time since my subscription started in April that Tidal advised me - in app - that a new version was available. I was getting a little annoyed at how Mark Ronson's Uptown Funk has been the song of the month since then.

Since I access Tidal mostly through Roon it wasn't a big deal. When I wanted to watch videos or check out a connection speed I ran the Chrome webplayer.

Well, the app is new to me lol.

T.

Just registered to learn and share experiences. Got a Tidal subsc yesterday. Successfully streaming from iMAC and iphone6 without interrupt over Arris cable modem/router on 5gHz to appletv v3. Only issues I experienced in 6 hours of martin-logan break-in were microwave intermittant drops and when one device was on 2.4 and other on 5gHz.

Flawless over time warner 100mpbs cable. Ookla shows about 93-96.

Thats internet, digital TV and hifi for $125 mo! Am enjoying the tidal user interface, too

Just registered to learn and share experiences. Got a Tidal subsc yesterday. Successfully streaming from iMAC and iphone6 without interrupt over Arris cable modem/router on 5gHz to appletv v3. Only issues I experienced in 6 hours of martin-logan break-in were microwave intermittant drops and when one device was on 2.4 and other on 5gHz.

Flawless over time warner 100mpbs cable. Ookla shows about 93-96.

Thats internet, digital TV and hifi for $125 mo! Am enjoying the tidal user interface, too

Dang microwaves. Ruin dinner prep music every time. I need to fire up that 5ghz only on my wifi router.

T.

quick question regarding tidal windows application:

I've noticed that if the device sampling rate is set in windows audio device preferences on other value different from 44.1/16 the output to usb DAC is upsampled to the specified sampling rate.

This raise the following question: is windows Tidal player it perfect?

I've tried to find o definitive statement on Tidal site but despite my efforts I was unable to find a clear statement about windows player implementation, all the information found is referring to lossless source files.

Thank you

Very disappointing.

Tareq

Tidal is now broken for me in HK. All this month I have had stuttering within 15s to 3min of starting to play. Tidal was almost perfect for the last 6 months but it's hopeless now. This started at about the same time as I read reports of problems from Australia.

This is such a shame. I feel bad about cancelling a subscription to an entity that needs all the users it can get and offers what should be a perfect way to find new music but there is no point hanging on hoping/waiting months for a fix. Feels like kicking them when they're down.

I bought a new iPad to use Roon but that's pointless without Tidal.

Marty

Tidal is now broken for me in HK. All this month I have had stuttering within 15s to 3min of starting to play. Tidal was almost perfect for the last 6 months but it's hopeless now. This started at about the same time as I read reports of problems from Australia.

This is such a shame. I feel bad about cancelling a subscription to an entity that needs all the users it can get and offers what should be a perfect way to find new music but there is no point hanging on hoping/waiting months for a fix. Feels like kicking them when they're down.

Marty

Same here in Malaysia...

Marty

I am surprised HK is also affected as the servers are located there. I'm from Singapore and have been having the same issue for almost 2 weeks. Has a couple of email exchangse with Tidal Support and was told they are working hard to fix it and that was almost a week ago. It's really a shame Tidal does not communicate with their customers on any server outage they have, not on their webpage nor facebook. Disappointing.