IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

Hi bubbleguuum,

Hi,

[snip]

IMPORTANT: If you run BubbleUPnP Server v0.9-update7 you must update to v0.9-update8 that I published today that fixes TIDAL streaming not working since about a day or two, due to TIDAL changing its streaming infrastructure to Amazon (which I suppose will improve reliability).

[snip]

I see this as very welcome news, given that my Tidal streaming experience has been plagued with periods of annoying dropouts across my several months as a subscriber in the Dallas, Texas area, with Verizon FiOs 50/50 Mbps service.

Back in February, running netstat -b while streaming a track from Tidal HiFi, then running a tracert and using the lookup tool at Trace An IP - Our IP Address Locator & Tracer Can Track Any Location, I could see both TIDAL.EXE (music stream) and TIDALMEDIA.EXE (supporting content) were serving from IP addresses in Copenhagen, Denmark, then coming to the Dallas area by way of Bern, Switzerland and Wichita, Kansas.

Yesterday, using the same methods, I discovered that I now receive TIDAL.EXE streams from a server near Roochama, Israel and from there to the Dallas area by way of Paris, France to Ashburn, Virginia to Wichita, Kansas. TIDALMEDIA.EXE is now being served from Boston, Massachussets. I'm no longer receiving anything from Copenhagen.

I'm not sure when exactly this change occurred (between mid-February and yesterday), but I haven't experienced any dropouts in over a week, now. Yay!

Reading the portion of your post that I've bolded above, I've looked for other online references, but cannot find any additional information regarding a relationship between Tidal HiFi and Amazon. Can you provide a link to any other discussions of this (very welcome) news?

Thank you!

Mike

Hi Mike - I can shed some light on this. The major change for Tidal was switching CDNs to Akamai. Tidal also uses Amazon. It's a combination of storage and caching. The new change should enable streaming from much closer locations and caching of most recently used music at even closer locations.

That is indeed good news. Thanks for the explanation, Chris!

Mike

• 3 months later...
Also... Make sure your WiFi streaming preferences are set to the highest quality.

And look out for the "Adaptive" option in Tidal HiFi's client settings. When updates are applied, they sometimes re-enable this as a default. Turning it off forces HiFi mode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Tidal has streamed very well the last few months both on the standalone app and via Roon.

Occasionally, I get those "We are experiencing bandwidth problems..." messages yet I can't perceive any audio quality degradation when the message appears. In addition, the HIFI indicator stays on.

Though it was aggravating back in the late spring/early summer, the quality of streaming on Tidal has been superb since then.

T.

I agree, completely. :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...