IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

I tried TIDAL on my HP laptop and my Ipad and it was pretty awful, was about to give up on it but when I tried it on my android phone for fun...OMG It sounds awesome!

Or there is something on the PCs that is interfering with TIDAL.
  • 1 month later...
I've rarely had a problem streaming TIDAL using their Mac client (which still works). I had some issues while they were making changes to their content distribution network, but lately it's been solid again. I use wifi and it's just as reliable as wired.

Jimmy, while I'm streaming on my Mac, I'm surfing the web on my Windows 8.1 PC which uses the same internet connection ... and my Comcast internet is only 50/10. So I'm not sure what your problem is with dropouts.

I've sent TIDAL a note saying they need to work with external players on Mac and PC in order to appeal to the audiophile community. No response yet. TIDAL just doesn't sound that good by itself, whether on a Mac or on an Auralic Aries. Classical is pretty good, but pop music sounds like it's muffled and I just can't stand it.

Where do you guys get this information that the desktop client is never coming back? On their website, TIDAL says it's gone for maintenance. It doesn't say it's gone for good.

JRiver users read this and weep

No Tidal Music Service in MC

If TIDAL sounds bad, double check you have it set in HIFI mode, also I've found a lot of pop music sounds bad because it's poorly recorded....

I'm definitely playing HIFI mode. I agree lots of pop music is poorly recorded, compressed and so on ... but I'm comparing TIDAL to my own rips which sound so much better.

The other thing you could try is a different player, as the Apple products I've tried with TIDAL don't sound great, as Apple is a competitor to TIDAL this isn't surprising. Did the Auralic Aries, you mentioned earlier in the thread, sound any better than your MBP?

Sigh- there are no Apple products that are Tidal players. There are Tidal players that run on MacOS. Right now, I think they are the only Atidal apps that run period, the Windows ones being broken.

But yes, I expect thst finally, at last, we will here about some New Apple products at WDC. Second of June.

-Paul

Sigh- it's quite obvious what I meant and for your information the TIDAL app runs fine on Android & iOS, they haven't developed an app for Windows mobile devices yet but you can use their webplayer with google chrome browser.

What I really want to do is to use TIDAL with an external player on either Mac or PC. I've been following Geoffrey Armstrong's TIDAL add-on for Kodi, which people are successfully using with HQPlayer. Unfortunately my current player A+ does not support FLAC streaming yet.

Those who use JRMC, have a look at this. Kind of surprising that TIDAL and JRMC aren't getting along.

It sure seems that TIDAL isn't focused on partnering with existing external players on audio optimized Mac and PC platforms. This makes no sense, because a lot of audiophiles want to do exactly that.

I haven't directly compared TIDAL on my rMBP to TIDAL on the Aries. What I can tell you is that TIDAL on the Aries is disappointing compared to the same rips played from a CAPS-like server to the Aries. So the solution isn't just replacing my rMBP with an Aries.

Prior to the recent changes to TIDAL's content distribution network, it was very reliable. Now I get frequent dropouts during the day on the east coast USA. It works fine later at night.

Thanks, good to know. I'm still searching for the best device for TIDAL, so far the Oppo N3 phone sounds best to me. I plan to try the Sony Z phones/DAP next as mobile devices seem to work well. This is the best sound I've heard from digital playback since the CD was launched and as enjoyable as my vinyl rig (assuming a good digital transfer/recording).

I remember trying to sign up a few years back, before it was offered in the US.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

(I am unable to tell the difference - in a blind test - between a 320kbps and a 16/44.1 FLAC version of the same track.) (Yet.)

T.

TIDAL sound quality is very dependent on the device used, I've found the Sony ZX1 & ZX2 DAPS work well. As you have an account you can try it out at a Sony store. I'm sure you will hear the clear difference between 320kbps and 16/44.1.

• 2 weeks later...
What I really want to do is to use TIDAL with an external player on either Mac or PC. I've been following Geoffrey Armstrong's TIDAL add-on for Kodi, which people are successfully using with HQPlayer. Unfortunately my current player A+ does not support FLAC streaming yet.

Those who use JRMC, have a look at this. Kind of surprising that TIDAL and JRMC aren't getting along.

It sure seems that TIDAL isn't focused on partnering with existing external players on audio optimized Mac and PC platforms. This makes no sense, because a lot of audiophiles want to do exactly that.

I haven't directly compared TIDAL on my rMBP to TIDAL on the Aries. What I can tell you is that TIDAL on the Aries is disappointing compared to the same rips played from a CAPS-like server to the Aries. So the solution isn't just replacing my rMBP with an Aries.

Prior to the recent changes to TIDAL's content distribution network, it was very reliable. Now I get frequent dropouts during the day on the east coast USA. It works fine later at night.

I've also found with Apple devices, TIDAL sounds better in offline mode, might be something to do with FLAC/ALAC conversion process?

• 4 months later...

Finally got around to trying the desktop app on both my windows7 laptop. What can I say.... It sounds fantastic! It has a very analog quality, reminiscent of my LP's and tapes which is game changer for me. For example one of my favourite LP's is Impressions by John Coltrane which I find unlistenable on CD and the previous Tidal web player but now it sounds great. Anyone else had a similar experience?

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all

the windows version of the player keeps crashing after every and each song. Via Chrome everything just works fine. Anybody else got that issue?

Best,

Phil

Works fine on windows 7 and 10 for me using HP Laptop, actually may 10 may sound better although haven't done a side by side comparison.

• 1 month later...
Tidal is now broken for me in HK. All this month I have had stuttering within 15s to 3min of starting to play. Tidal was almost perfect for the last 6 months but it's hopeless now. This started at about the same time as I read reports of problems from Australia.

This is such a shame. I feel bad about cancelling a subscription to an entity that needs all the users it can get and offers what should be a perfect way to find new music but there is no point hanging on hoping/waiting months for a fix. Feels like kicking them when they're down.

I bought a new iPad to use Roon but that's pointless without Tidal.

Marty

Same here in Malaysia...

Hi all, just might be worth a mention, but I started having stuttering issues with Tidal streaming through Aralic Aries a few weeks ago, I literally could not play anything for longer than 5 minutes. I bought a new router, checked my internet connection and followed a bunch of advice from the web. Chris from Auralic support suggested I try logging out of Tidal and back in again because he had heard that they were having trouble with some servers (Tidal support have been silent on this but did give me 30 days free). Since I did this I am back to (so far) uninterrupted music...

Worth a try if you haven't done so?

Good luck

M

Great tip!!! Tidal now works for me, fingers crossed it stays that way. Many thanks

• 1 month later...
Dan, no offense but I could not disagree more with most of your points.

What "most high end servers" are you referring to here? Most of the higher quality servers (and streamers) are dedicated to making sure a high degree of isolation, whether physical or galvanic, is achieved, as well as using clean powerful power supplies that add no noise to the signal chain, yet provide stable performance. Each is typically built for one (or two) dedicated purposes, digital-to-analog conversion not being one of them. OTOH, Auralic introduced a low-end Aries Mini that fits your bill, but is clearly intended for a second system or intro-level all-in-one solution. It is very good, by the way. :) But not the majority.

Again, if a piece of hardware is considered a "streamer" then it likely has no DAC, and in many cases no local access to music files; it is a black box that gets one away from having to care and feed a genral use computer, and is a minimalist (for good reason) box with ethernet in and DAC interface out. Local hdd access is being blurred a bit, as many folks do not own a NAS (or common file access within their home) and need local file storage, which folks like Aurender, exaSound, Sonore and others have designed in as an option. But no DAC is included.

Since you are answering the question of SQ, the design of a streamer's UI or remote is quite tertiary to SQ (except when considering a headless pc server with the intent to use no graphics card for fear of extra processing and noise, then the ability to isolate the entire GUI and remote to another device has SQ as a by-product). IMHO, the SQ of a streamer piece of hardware is differentiated by its ability to provide a clean but wide-bandwidth DAC interface (i.e top notch USB or SPDIF output section, including power considerations, etc) and a stable low-noise power supply. Since ethernet is likely involved, its interface is of inport, too. Also, many have reported that a minimalist operating system is of huge SQ importance, and why so many stremaers use a highly pared-down Linux, running on a flash card or SSD, worst case. These are way more important to SQ than GUI or remote (which are important user interface purchase issues, don't get me wrong). Finally, some regard to streamer flexibility (can be used for many networks like LMS, HQP NAA, UPnP, Airplay, etc) is a differentiating factor, but certainly not directly an SQ one.

Roon is not a streamer, it is software. Roon is a music player that includes good library management and a great all-encompassing UI. But put it on a general use under-powered computer and you may well have SQ issues. And Roon is not always well regarded for its own SQ output...but now that Roon has created a large partnership of Roon-ready manufacturers, one can use the library management and GUI of Roon, and combine it with the SQ cleanliness and power of a host of higher end streamers and software sound engines (like HQPlayer).

Agree all points but how about answering @Rogertmac's question as you have had access to many streamers: 'My question is about sound quality and Tidal:Are there any significant changes in SQ between different streamers?'

• 4 weeks later...
Yesterday I got my Network Audio Renderer (SOTM SMS-100) and had my first taste of true Asynchronous USB. Very impressed.

POsting here because on my Galaxy S5 I had severe stuttering issues playing Tidal but later tried it from my Galaxy Tab and had a perfect evening's entertainment. Both running paid version of BubbleUPNP, same network. I've sent logs to Bubble, but I guess this COULD be down to logging into TIDAL again (in y case from a different device).

Yes prolly logging back in sorted it. So what is your chain? I'm not familiar with the SOTM..

Netgear READYNAS Duo (old) Library (Stock UPNP/DLNA)

Ethernet into gigabit switch

SOTM SMS-100 DLNA Renderer

Stock USB cable into

SOTM SDP-1000 DAC/PRE

I usually use a valve pre but I'm redesigning and rebuilding it.

Balanced outputs to Art Audio PX25

Lowther Horns (Icon Audio)

Bubble UPNP on Galaxy Tab

TIDAL HIFI TRIAL

Cool, the other to thing to consider is Android 5 and above up samples so that may be a factor. I know UAPP player app avoids the up sampling, not sure about Bubble.

I don't understand, fairly new to streaming but my understanding is that the control app simply sends a URL to the renderer, which then pulls the data from the source. No audio data should pass through the control, nor should any processing take place on it. Am I right ?

You're probably right, I was just throwing that out there...

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yes, & for the last 4 weeks. I'm on the Hong Kong server. Each evening at 22:00 HK time the wheels fall off. None of the workarounds above work. Did you raise a ticket? I will do, now I know it's not only me.

We're back to great service! Complaining seems to work.

• 8 months later...
If say im on a plane and i decide i want to listen to music via tidal offline. they state offline is ideal for such situations. they also say once logged into the app you can set it to offline. how do i log into the app in a situation where there is no cellular or internet? this could also apply to being on a train with very poor coverage or reception?

'You can set TIDAL in Offline Mode when logged into the app. Once you are logged in, select ‘Offline’ from the left menu.'

Never log off...simples

I rarely use Tidal via the web, but when I do it's exclusively through Chrome. Chrome is the only browser that can stream lossless. I also have the Tidal desktop app, but have only used it a few times. Most of my Tidal listening is through hardware with embedded Tidal, such as Auralic, Aurender, and Naim. I also use Tidal with Roon quite a bit.

I'm guessing our friend @thebeck used the desktop app on a Mac and if so I agree it sounds poor.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried Tidal again after a hike in Interent download speed, thus avoiding the buffering problems of before.

Well, Tidal sounds like Qobuz downloads & aeroplane piped music. Very flat and uninteresting compared with redbook rips of the same album and agree with this post.. Google Chrome and A+ integrated were used just in case things might have changed, still sounds flat and uninteresting.

The navigation takes some getting used to, the search has its hits and misses, cancelled the experience after a week of wondering what the fuss was all about. YMMV, IMHO.

I've never managed to get Tidal to sound good on a Mac, is that what you were using?

• 2 months later...
I don't agree here. Only 3 days use so far, BUT I have tried maybe 30+ tracks I have as CD AIFF rips on my external firewire and Mac Mini v those same exact tracks on Tidal.

Using Audirvana+ for both ripped replay v Tidal I am struggling to notice any difference. I use a top electrostatic amp and the Stax 009s which are very transparent and fast, so any change is dead obvious.

TBH I did find one track so far (an Armin Van Buuren) that sounded better off Tidal than my CD ripp, though in that case the master at Tidal may be a newer / updated copy which was cleaned up a bit? Also there are numerous remastered albums on Tidal which can in some cases improve quality from the older issued CD.

If the files at Tidal are Flac and 1411 resolution as they claim, no compression, I guess in theory they should sound the same. Once streamed into Audirvana+ as opposed to loaded via my ext drive, what is the difference? I am really trying to avoid the subscription by LOOKING for issues and reasons to not go for it, but so far, there is no quality loss going on IMO. Maybe I will hear some in the next 3 months?

One thing to watch out for, is apparently not ALL music is at 1411 resolution, and they ffed you 320kps if they don't have that file yet. I think in the standalone player it tells you that, but in Audirvana+ I don't think it does. So far I have not hit any low res files yet.

The other thing is maybe the first Tidal version of Audirvana was a bit rough. The current latest sound great to me in either Tidal or playing off a drive.

My network is dead simple and I only listen to non up sampled as run an NOS R-2R DAC:

Mac Mini with LPS, ext drive and LPS - Rednet 3 AOIP - NOS DAC.

I wonder if the loss in sound quality experienced by others may be network related?

I was referring to the app, did you try that? I haven't used my MBP for audio for a while so maybe the app has been improved, certainly the iOS version sounds great on my iPad.