IGNORED

Back up problem on Synology Server

I have a DS 413J Synology Server. I am using the backup and restore utility within the DSM software to backup part of my library -- a large 3.15 Tb file residing on the server -- to an external Seagate USB drive with 5 tb capacity. I tried a couple of times, and each time it failed the same way, 2/3 the way thru the process: once about 2 tb have been transferred, I get a "Disk Full" error message, which is erroneous. The files on the USB disk only add up to the 2 tb transferred. When I "mouse over" the name of the USB drive in the directory to show the properties, it similarly, erroneously, states that only 500 mb or so is left.

I am currently troubleshooting this with Synology support, but it has been escalated to their engineers (I need to install the latest v. of the DSM software before they'll look at it).

I would love to know if anyone else has experienced the same issue. But also, can someone suggest alternative backup software? I know stuff is out there, but I'm wondering how 3rd party software would install/run on DSM. A backup utility running on one of my Windows computers wouldn't be able to "see" the USB drive hanging off the Synology server -- at least it doesn't now. I can only see it using the DSM file directory utility. Thanks in advance for your help. -- David

I can see the 3 TB USB drive attached to the 214+ using windows explorer.

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

SuperRu -- Thanks..... my bad. I can indeed see the usb drive in Explorer. In theory, I could just transfer a folder in Explorer, but I have had bad experiences trying to transfer large files that way.... stuff get mangled. OTOH, it does open up the possibility of using a Windows 7-based backup utility for the job. -- David

I use both SynToy and FreeFileSync for my main backups to the NAS. Two separate copies. Backups to the attached USB drive are handled by Synology's Time Backup. Good luck getting it sorted out

Nearfield setup-Matrix Element H USB>Curious Evolved>Yggy OG>Freya+>Mono Trys>Harbeth P3ESR 40th & Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X & Burson Soloist w/ Super Charger> Mr.Speakers Ether 2,& Technics 1500C, Arcromat> SoundSmith Carmen MkII > Zu Mission>Parks Puffin Toslink.. Blue Jeans interconnects, Pangea power cables, IsoAcoustics feet, Goldpoint SW2X

Quick question - what is the model number of the external Seagate drive, is it one that comes with an enclosure from Seagate (as opposed to using an USB toaster)? Also in what format is the Seagate drive? FAT, FAT32, NTFS, etc..

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I have mine formatted to EXT4 (the native format for DSM) in a "Toaster". I like that description.

The reason I asked whether a "toaster" was being used is that some, depending on firmware, don't seem to work well with drives greater than 3 TB in size. Mine is meade by Pluggable and works with drives up to 6 TB+ in size. My previous toaster had problems with drives larger than 2TB and caused me much angst when used as an external USB drive with my Synology. Moving to the Plugable resolved the issue for me.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I have a DS 413J Synology Server. I am using the backup and restore utility within the DSM software to backup part of my library -- a large 3.15 Tb file residing on the server -- to an external Seagate USB drive with 5 tb capacity. I tried a couple of times, and each time it failed the same way, 2/3 the way thru the process: once about 2 tb have been transferred, I get a "Disk Full" error message, which is erroneous. The files on the USB disk only add up to the 2 tb transferred. When I "mouse over" the name of the USB drive in the directory to show the properties, it similarly, erroneously, states that only 500 mb or so is left.

I am currently troubleshooting this with Synology support, but it has been escalated to their engineers (I need to install the latest v. of the DSM software before they'll look at it).

I would love to know if anyone else has experienced the same issue. But also, can someone suggest alternative backup software? I know stuff is out there, but I'm wondering how 3rd party software would install/run on DSM. A backup utility running on one of my Windows computers wouldn't be able to "see" the USB drive hanging off the Synology server -- at least it doesn't now. I can only see it using the DSM file directory utility. Thanks in advance for your help. -- David

How did you format the external disk you are trying to back up to? If you did this on a computer or are just using a pre-formatted disk, I think, the limit is 2TB.

I formatted the disk using Synology server software and chose EXT4.

BPlexico, alcarp -- I think you guys may have nailed it. I just used the NTFS formatting that came out of the box with the Seagate. I will reformat with EXT4 using the synology, over the weekend and give it a shot. As a side note, it's beyond me why Synology support didn't figure that out. Thanks so much. -- David

I guess the easiest way to tell if its an issue with the format used is to see if you can see all 5TB from Win explorer or thru whatever interface you are using to view the disk properties. If you only see 2TB then that is certainly your issue.

On a side note in terms of backing up from one disk to another and assuming you dont mind creating a batch file you can get far better performance using a lightweight program like Robocopy verses the bloated Synology App. Robocopy is very easy to use, extremely fast and doesn't care how big a disk its source or destination is. Just plug in the 5TB disk to your computer via USB and it will show up as a drive letter. Map a network drive or use the UNC path to the NAS Share and let RoboCopy handle the rest.

IMO of course.

In case your interested in trying it here is an example script to sync one NAS to another using UNC paths:

robocopy "\\192.168.2.100\data\MUSIC" "\\192.168.2.50\OpenShare\MUSIC" /MIR /COPY:DAT /v /FFT /TEE /R:1

You can substitute the UNC path's (\\Ip Address) with a drive letter if need be